This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Back carriers - come and talk to me about them please!

(5 Posts)
blushingmare Sun 20-Jan-13 21:08:07

We are going to New Zealand next month with our dd, who will be 9 months grin

We plan on doing a bit of walking - think signposted trails with good paths for 2-3 hours, rather than full day hikes involving compasses and crampons!! So obviously we need to be able to carry dd with us.

I have a stretchy wrap sling, which I love and dd virtually lived in it for the first 4 months. But since starting to sleep in her pram, I haven't really used a sling much at all. I have a mei tai, but find it a bit of a faff to put on tbh. I was thinking a back carrier would be best for our holiday as should be more comfortable for walking long distances and possibly better for dd to be facing forward now she's older and a bit more nosey!

But what are the options for back carriers? Should we get one of those big back pack type things or will she be too small or that and are they comfy (for us and baby)? She is 7.6kg at the moment. Is she likely to snooze in a back carrier or are they not snuggly enough for that?

Would appreciate people's opinions and experiences of back carriers and how your DCs have got on with them and some suggestions on different models.

Thank you!

We had a connecta when DS was that age which was great to carry front or back and now have. Toddler action baby carrier which is also great.

connecta website jete

Bearwantsmore Mon 21-Jan-13 05:38:44

I have an Ergo which I have recently started using on my back (have been using for front carries up till now). DS is also 9 months and fairly small. If it were me I'd probably take something like that as it's much easier/smaller to pack! DS seems comfy in it and does sleep in it with the hood bit pulled up.

It may also depend who will be wearing it though - if it was my DH I know his preference would be for a more rigid structured back carrier (e.g. Little life or similar).

AbbyCat Mon 21-Jan-13 06:35:26

I used a mei tai and found that most comfy. I even carried DS (just over 1) through the first few months of my pregnancy with dd! DH prefers something more structured and he uses an ergo. DS loves either and a back carry is sooooo much more comfy than a front carry. I think a mei tai back carry is easier than a wrap as you can pre tie the waist straps, get DS on your back (I used the hip shuffle- look up different ways to get them on your back on you tube) and then it's only the top stars to be tied.

mysweetie Sun 17-Feb-13 11:59:41

I also go with the Action Baby Carrier, a lightweight SSC. My Dd is 22months now and we are still using the standard size though I was planning to get their toddler which is wider and support extends to the kneeswhich is great for toddlers.
ABC toddler carrier's weight limit is 15-45lbs, your babies weight is 7.6kg (16.72lbs) so it is already okay for both of you to use it. You can also visit their facebook, they often give discounts in their page. Hope this helps!! Goodluck.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Charisma/290730814362868?fref=ts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now