This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Soft structured carrier for petite mum? Baby loves Babybjorn but my back does not!

(14 Posts)
LovelyWeatherForDucks Mon 31-Dec-12 18:23:14

My 12 week baby has his best naps in our second-hand babybjorn carrier, but it hurts my back and I'm not keen on the 'crotch dangle' etc. Can anyone suggest an alternative... I tried an Ergo but the straps are too chunky for my petite frame and feels like the straps are balanced on my shoulders, and baby not too keen on the insert... Overall too bulky for me. So something similar to the BB but easier on the back and better for baby would be ideal! Also tried the close carrier but worry that my baby isn't supported enough and slumps down, and he's not too keen on being wrestled into it! I'm going to a sling library next week but any recommendations in advance would be super smile

MrsSpencerReid Mon 31-Dec-12 18:28:56

Hi, I am short but not skinny and I have a beco Gemini, I love it, it's super comfy and doesn't hurt my back at all, bit expensive but you might get a second hand one. The dangly bits of the straps are long once fitted but I guess that happens when you're short smile

I've got a connecta and it's awesome! Is there a sling library near you where you can go and borrow one and try some out? Google and have a l

nocake Mon 31-Dec-12 18:32:56

We used a Beco Gemini and it was brilliant. The waist strap is very wide so you can take most of the weight on your hips, rather than your back.

CitizenOscar Mon 31-Dec-12 18:35:46

Sling library is your best bet so good you're going. Also try asking on natural mamas forum.

I had Babyhawk when DS was 12 weeks, which I preferred to soft structured ones at that point.

I find the ergo performance straps better for my petite shoulders but if you're not keen on insert then that won't help smile

My friend who's very petite shouldered looked out for 2nd hand custom made SSCs with petite straps on the natural mamas forum and finally got her own one custom made.

Goodkingwalkingslass Mon 31-Dec-12 18:36:49

I've got a manduca and love it. My Ds is 20lbs now and I can carry him for ages in it and he seems really comfy. I'm not petite though so don't know how well it would fit your frame. It is very adjustable for wearer and baby though.

needsadviceplease Tue 01-Jan-13 16:34:25

Is it that the straps don't feel securely back behind your shoulders, iyswim? If it is, maybe something that allows you to cross the straps over, rather than carry like a back-to-front rucksack, might suit better? The manduca does this and like the PP, I love it, but I'm not petite so can't comment on the fit. A mei tai would obviously also work.

LovelyWeatherForDucks Wed 02-Jan-13 19:21:37

Thanks for the advice all, gives me something to go on for the upcoming sling library!

The main problem is that the straps are quite wide, thick and bulky on me, and although they are secure, they feel a bit like they are 'balanced' on my shoulders. Cross over straps sound like a plan, I'll see if I can try out the manduca.

TeWiSavesTheDay Wed 02-Jan-13 19:27:27

I have a beco butterfly on the smallest settings, which is great but now DS is one I find I am having hip issues and can't manage it any more. It's not related I don't think, but thought I would mention in case you had dodgy hips!

LovelyWeatherForDucks Mon 25-Feb-13 13:26:58

Just an update for anyone in the same position....I have ended up with a mei tei in fact, not quite what I had in mind but baby and I are happy with it - comfortable, snugly, and not too bulky! And no more difficult to put on than something with lots of buckles...I think easier than the Ergo for example!

I'm finding the Ergo alot harder to wear as LO gets bigger. I'm 5 foot, and want to back carry him when we go out, but now he's 22lb (10 months) and it just kills my back.

I'm off to look at Becos and mei tais.

pootlebug Thu 14-Mar-13 19:08:23

VisualiseAHorse - it may be the way that it is fitted - if you pull the straps all the way to their shortest do they still feel too big (they might well do if you're 5 foot). The Beco Gemini is too big on me in a back carry and I'm bigger than you. I have the Ergo on close to the smallest setting. It could also be about fit - is he bounced right down into the carrier? Are the straps sitting flat in the middle of your shoulders? Are you using the chest strap?

Mei tais are usually a good option if you're petite, but be aware not all mei tais are created equal - with a heavier baby and a petite mum you need something that is well constructed and supportive. If you can go to a sling meet or library and try things in person it should help.

KatAndKit Thu 28-Mar-13 14:36:01

Bondolino have a petite version - I have the standard version and I think it's great so that might be worth a try.

abigboydidit Sun 14-Apr-13 19:59:02

Hi - I'm tall but narrow backed (32") and with a short body and I love the Manduca. Also I have problems with shoulder/back pain but find if you cross the straps over at the back (rather than wear them like a rucksack) it's really comfy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now