This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Baby bjorn miracle, sling question, hip health dysplasia???? confused

(10 Posts)
Clarella Wed 26-Sep-12 11:40:50

Hi, Im due november and know i would like to baby wrap as much as possible plus the shops are very close etc.

I havent been to a sling meet yet but had decided that as DH is a bit uncertain about the wrappy ring slings i think id like, that we'd like to get a baby bjorn - after reading reviews on the miracle on amazon it seems to be really good for both of us for backs and interchangeability, and then I will look at getting a a more wrappy fabric one for both when he's tiny (baby bjorn from 8lb) and around the house.

My mum has offered to buy it very kindly and is on the verge of doing so (when my Dad gets back to do the technical online ordering stuff!) the only sudden doubt I have is a funny little comment on the amazon website in relation to the baby bjorn slings and
hip dysphasia.

I havent actually explored the website so it may refer to children whose hips are weaker anyway but I suppose a young baby is quite flexible.
I do teach children with moderate learning difficulties which often includes a range of mild physical difficulties such as flexibility, senory and co-ordination difficulties and have had a child who needed regular hip exercises in my class a few years ago. The physio and I had a little converstaion about hips etc and how some children aren't getting enough climbing hip stuff when they're little to strengthen etc so I have a slight awareness of it but could be being a bit ott as a result!

looking at the babybjorns they do seem to dangle rather than straddle - admittedly babies have been carried for thousands of years but when you look at more traditional methods they do straddle.

What are anyone's thoughts/ experiences? As I say it would probably be more for out and about and DH rather than in the house...

might post in special needs too. Thanks in advance.

I'd say the wraps are far better but if it's cos your dh doesn't feel comfortable with tying them, have you thought about a Close one? They have a ring at either side that you pull the fabric through to tighten and then a separate bit of fabric to tie round over the baby iykwim.

Clarella Wed 26-Sep-12 12:04:43

Thanks crafty - i'll have a look. I did just find this info but then it is a website trying to sell baby carriers so could be biased!

www.bellebabycarriers.com/baby-carrier-babywearing_ergo_dysplasia.html

Clarella Wed 26-Sep-12 12:22:26

Yes that does look good, thanks - To be fair i'm probably over thinking it, the combo of new mum plus background in sen keeps throwing up stuff I shouldnt be thinking of!

needsadviceplease Wed 26-Sep-12 13:26:52

Tbh even if the hip dysplasia is unlikely - I still think there's loads better than a bjorn. It doesn't seem comfy for baby to crotch-dangle rather than have weight spread, it means v limited support for baby's spine, and it must be uncomfy for the wearer when baby is still quite small as they're pulling away from your centre of gravity rather than cuddled in and well distributed.

I'm with you on a cosy wrap being nicest for newborns, but lots of SSCs eg ergo, manduca look sufficiently 'functional' for dh maybe?

shuckleberryfinn Wed 26-Sep-12 13:28:25

how about something else with buckles like the boba 3g? the seat is wider and more supportive?

pootlebug Wed 26-Sep-12 18:34:07

Have a look at something like the Manduca for DH's benefit. It can be used from newborn, but is much wider and more supportive than the Bjorn. The Bjorn will work pretty well until about 3-4 months....that's a lot of money to spend for a short time. The Manduca will work really well for 2-3 years.

Clarella Wed 26-Sep-12 20:04:55

Thanks for all the advice - lots of researching going on!

Very much liking the caboo so far and DH agrees but need to look at other suggestions.

A bit off track but what would be the advantage / difference between a moby and a caboo? Could you bf in a caboo?

Clarella Wed 26-Sep-12 22:44:12

Think I've worked out the above q from enough you tube videos!

DH is quite taken with the caboo dx (buckles got nods of approval) as I am actually, but as I said prob get something like a moby for at home. Anyone tried the dx? Seems quite new and only found a couple of reviews, though one woman raved about it over the usual caboo as she felt the dx had more support for back.

clems Thu 27-Sep-12 21:08:06

I used a kari-me, as did my husband. We used it for the first four months in and out of the house and it was amazing. I still use it now for my 10 month old for hip carrying around the house when she's a bit grouchy. I use an ergo out and about as well as a littlelife rucksack. I really don't like the way babies dangle in the bjorns - my lo had a few hip problems which sorted themselves out but I do think they were helped by the weight distribution of the kari-me and the ergo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now