Baby won't nap in crib

(7 Posts)
KateHay Sat 16-Mar-13 18:07:43

Hi
I'm new to this so apologies if this is a repeat of other threads. I have a 3 month old baby who since birth will only nap when held. As soon as I try to put her in her crib she wakens, no matter how deeply she's sleeping. She sleeps fine in it at night but refuses to go in it during the day. We've tried everything, the crib is raised at one end in case its reflux, we warm it before putting it in and we've tried putting something in with my scent and swaddling, all to no avail. We've also tried putting her in sleepy but not asleep and the pick up/ put down approach (admittedly only for a day as she got hysterical). She will sleep in her pram but only when it's moving outside, not indoors - as soon as it stops or we bring her in the house she wakes up! She also has a tendency to wake herself too early and if we don't get her back to sleep becomes really distressed. Any suggestions would be very gratefully received!

nextphase Sun 17-Mar-13 17:48:28

Its normal! Be grateful she will go in there at night!!

I'd either get a sling so you can do things while she is sleeping on you, or use it as a excuse to sit down a couple of times a day, and enjoy those lovely cuddles. She'll soon grow up. My oldests now "throws" my kisses away, and tells me he doesn't want Mummy kisses (he's nearly 4)

it is normal (well if it's not then my babies are weird) - I have a 5 month old the same and DS was exactly the same as well. I've tried everything to change it and nothing works, she doesn't have a clue how to sleep anywhere else and I'm trying to just go with it. DS was the biggest sleep fighter in the world and would only nap on me whilst moving or occasionally in the pushchair (also outside and moving somewhere boring) until he was 7 months. He's been falling asleep in his own bed without assistance since about 18 months, it typically takes 10 minutes. I feel your pain (literally every part of my body aches or has a baby-wearing/picking up related injury) and I know it's hard but you might just have to try and enjoy the cuddles for a while.. people may suggest cc or cio but that doesn't work for me or my babies so I just keep telling myself its a phase and to try and enjoy the snuggles smile

Andcake Sun 17-Mar-13 20:36:52

V normal. Get some good tv or a book (or mn) and settl in for those naps. With sme good snacks too. Mine is 7 mo and is only just getting the back of taking naps not on me. But even then sometimes I keep him on me as he'll wake to soon. Also if you are sleep deprived look into safely co-sleeping naps. I feel better doing this in the day when ds and I get the whole bed. Or even if I just lie their and read I feel a bit revived. A sling is v useful to help get things done.

blushingmare Mon 18-Mar-13 10:10:47

Totally normal I'm afraid! DD took all her naps in a sling at first, then at 4 months would nap in the pram if pushed, then at 6 months would be rocked to sleep in the pram and then stay asleep without it moving - that was a good milestone! This is still where she naps at 9mo. I haven't tried again to get her napping in her cot and actually find it much more useful to nap in her pram as then we're not tied to the house.

KatAndKit Mon 18-Mar-13 12:12:43

My DS is 11 months and he won't go in his cot in the day and never has done. It was a happy day for me when he started to take his daytime naps in his buggy rather than it having to be in a sling or in a moving car. Often I don't even have to take the buggy out, I just rock him for a bit in the hallway. I have given up all hopes of cot naps. He can nap in his buggy till he is 3 if he likes.

KateHay Mon 18-Mar-13 12:19:41

Thanks for all the comments. I am very grateful she sleeps in her crib at night, I really don't know how I'd cope if she wasn't! I have tried a sling and her sleeping on the bed next to me but its in my arms or nothing else! My main concern is that I don't think she's getting quality sleep this way, she often wakes up too early or is irritable when she wakes. It's good to know she's not the only one though x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now