Still waking like a newborn - 8 months old

(33 Posts)
Judyandherdreamofhorses Sat 16-Mar-13 00:10:53

DS is a terrible sleeper. This is a normal night. It's the third time he's woken since he went to bed at 7pm (usually asleep soon after 6pm but lots of crying tonight and couldn't settle).

He will continue to wake every couple of hours throughout the night and probably stay awake from 5.30am. Some nights he will be awake for up to two hours (eg 1-3am), not wanting to sleep but crying if I try to leave.

He's in a cot in his own room. I can sometimes put him down awake and he'll go to sleep (clutching a muslin and sucking his thumb). He usually feeds to sleep though.

He's the type of baby who cries until he's hysterical (I don't leave him - but in the car he does this sometimes, or if I have to be with DD for a few minutes and don't get to him straight away).

Co-sleeping doesn't work for us.

Anyway, he's just over a cold/ 3 new teeth and I think is sleeping worse than ever! Any advice?

WookieWoo Wed 20-Mar-13 20:33:22

Sorry x post Judy

Judyandherdreamofhorses Thu 21-Mar-13 00:27:11

Oh bugger.

He just slept for 6 hours straight. Unheard of.

Turns out he has a fever and just projectile vomited all over his room...

Judyandherdreamofhorses Thu 21-Mar-13 14:32:25

Chest infection here. Sleep plans on hold! Poor baby.

WookieWoo Thu 21-Mar-13 18:53:52

Oh dear Judy. How are you getting on tonight?How is your little one?

We had a dreadful night last night so cut short our holiday and came home this morning. Both boys in bed now. Hopefully they will sleep better now we are home. Or maybe not... !

Judyandherdreamofhorses Thu 21-Mar-13 19:15:46

Oh, shame about your holiday, wookie. Hope you get a better night.

Both of mine asleep for now. I was so stressed by bedtime I had a ridiculous shouting row with the 3 year old. She won, I think! Anyway, she went to bed with a cuddle so I suppose it's okay.

DS was listless and vomiting all day. I've done four loads of laundry. Won't be a good night for me, even if he sleeps, as I'll be listening for him.

This too will pass...

WookieWoo Thu 21-Mar-13 19:26:31

It will pass. I cling on to that thought.

Hope your DS perks up tomorrow. It's so horrible seeing babies poorly.

Good luck tonight. I hope you get some rest.

thing1andthing2 Thu 21-Mar-13 19:51:38

Sorry to hear about your poorly baby, judy.
We put ours to bed at around 7, but by the time I've breastfed and settled ds it is more like 7.30.
He has just started sleeping on his front. He twists onto his front as soon as I put him in the cot. He cries for a while and then just goes off to sleep. I am hoping he is more comfortable on his front and he seems to be able to settle himself better, so maybe slowly slowly this might herald better sleep? I think he is teething though so he is quite grizzly.
I have a question.
How much Calpol do you give your little ones? Often, in the night, when I've tried lots of different things to settle him and he is still awake, I resort to a dose of Calpol which sometimes helps. I am worried I am giving it quite often though. He seems to be either always teething (he is on his 6th tooth since new year) or have a windy tummy or a cold or all three!

Judyandherdreamofhorses Thu 21-Mar-13 20:20:14

My DH is a Dr, thing, and calpol would probably be a first resort for him! He certainly doesn't think they should be in pain, so if teething, nappy rash, raised temperature, then we give it. During major teething bouts I've given it maybe 5 nights in a week. If poorly, like now, it's every four hours if he's awake.

If it helps, then it suggests your baby was in pain of some kind. After all, it is only a pain killer (and reduces fever). It doesn't have any sleep inducing properties.

All medicine has been vomited back here today. I particularly enjoyed a calpol pink striped with amoxicillin fluorescent yellow effort earlier. Fortunately only on towels!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now