How long should it take for 4 month old to settle for nap?

(4 Posts)
toomuchtooyoung Sat 19-Jan-13 04:09:20

I bought a pram rocking device off eBay for this reason and the fact I have a dd too, couldn't be tramping the streets all day long. Forget the name of it now but had something to do with dragons den. Stupidly only rocks for 15 mins so I would keep turning it on when it stopped, but now I can just leave it and he'll stay asleep.

Might be selling mine soon!

claudiebelle Tue 15-Jan-13 12:35:16

I had a similar problem with my ds at that age, I used to walk for hours each day. I aim for at least one or two cot naps a day now (he's nearly 7mo), and he will take about 20 minutes of settling with me holding his hand/stroking his face. That has reduced from over half an hour at 4mo so you're doing well. Love the idea of coming home and making a cup of tea, but he has other ideas and will wake from his nap the second I stop walking (or drop below his preferred speed etc...)

KatAndKit Tue 15-Jan-13 12:10:17

Mine is 9 months and still won't nap in his cot. Sorry.

If I walk him to sleep I make sure I am close to home and as soon as he has been asleep ten minutes and appears fast asleep, I park his buggy in the hallway and put the kettle on.

teachertrainer80 Tue 15-Jan-13 11:54:36

I posted before about how DS will only nap when outside which is very tiring for 3 naps a day. I have started doing one nap a day inside as I just can't cope with the 3-4 hours walking a day (DS waking every hour in night and thinks 3 am is getting up time!). I have managed to settle him in his cot for a few naps but it takes about 20 minutes of grizzling (not full on crying) before he drops off, sometimes a bit longer.

Is this normal?

He naps in the same room as me (living room or bedroom) as I want him to know that I am actually here and not leaving him!

How long does it take babies this age to settle in cot for naps?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now