webcam showing -10 on the mountain this afternoon- too cold for kids?

(14 Posts)

We were skiing at New Year, and one morning we were in the car, and when we got to car park it was -10. We wrapped up warm (3 x layers under jackets, and neck warmers) and actually we were fine - it was a sunny resort, and once we were up the hill it was fine and no one complained about teh cosd (they did on other days when it wasn't actually so cold). Very jealous - wish I was going next week!

I think the only think the only thing I would add is to make sure that all gloves get properly dried out over night. Boots too. Makes a MASSIVE difference.

nomazeena Wed 13-Feb-13 17:31:46

Thanks so much for the reassurance. I've been to mountain warehouse and got nice fleecy neck gaiters for me and the kids. DH has already sorted himself with a very posh and pricey polar buff. It looks like the weather is all changing and its going to be much warmer anyway. I think this is all part of general anxiety as I havent taken the DC before!
Clam I am so sorry about your leg! What a dissapointment. We keep joking about breaking something before we go but actually its not funny at all. Make sure you book yourself a lovely massage or something while they are all skiing.
xx

clam Tue 12-Feb-13 19:13:17

We've skiied at those temperatures before. Just aim for sunnier slopes where possible and take regular breaks. Hand/foot warmers. Wrap up faces with neck gaitors/balaclavas/scarves on the lifts. Don't forget it's a drier cold than here.

You'll be fine. Enjoy it.

<envious, as have broken leg and will only be able to watch family from a balcony next week>>

Wallace Tue 12-Feb-13 15:45:56

-27 wind chill up Cairngorm today!

NulliusInBlurba Mon 11-Feb-13 19:28:02

When we were skiing at minus 12 last year, we were almost too warm, having put so many layers on. It was fine sitting outside for lunch as long as were were in the sun. We really noticed a difference once the sun went behind the hill at around 3pm , though.

Beachcomber Mon 11-Feb-13 19:22:19

We were out this weekend at - 7 and were perfectly warm because there was no wind and a fair bit of sun. Children are 6 and 9 - they have good jackets and ski tights under their salopettes. They did both say that they had cold hands by the last couple of runs but they just had their gloves on, no silk liners or anything.

I think being cold when skiing is more about wind and dampness than crisp cold (unless really really cold like crazy - 20 or less type temperatures which are dangerous for uncovered skin in children).

Take extra layers and make sure there are no drafty bits to clothing (wrists, round neck area, etc).

And have a great time smile which includes stopping for a warming drink when required to keep everybody's spirits up. Plenty of energetic skiing and you will be fine. (We have been known to go down a flattish green that involves a fair bit of skating/pushing oneself along in order to warm up if really cold. Just don't get sweaty!)

DontEvenThinkAboutIt Sun 10-Feb-13 22:36:00

We used to find warm days worse than cold days. Slushy snow is no fun and can mean wet boots and snow pants sad

forevergreek Sun 10-Feb-13 22:21:33

Will be fine. Was down to -21 last month in the alps. We did stop everyday around lunch for a good 45mins for hot chic/ snack etc and warm up. Never sat outside as was too cold to continue skiing.

We did wear merino buffs everyday covering neck/ mouth/ nose

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 10-Feb-13 22:21:26

Go for it, but definitely get muffs or those odd helmaclava things for everyone.

Have fun!

nomazeena Sun 10-Feb-13 22:18:48

Excellent, all systems go- thanks everyone.
Handwarmers it is.

lazydog Sun 10-Feb-13 19:47:47

Really - Re: the Canada comment? As long as it's a clear/bright day, we will still ski here until it gets down to around -15C. Below that we still have done (it was -19C when we went a couple of weeks ago) but the cradle-Canuks who don't still have that novelty buzz for skiing - nope, not so many that day...! grin

Mine are 9 and 13 too and they're off skiing with their dad today but it's stupidly mild here at the moment (+3C) and so I had to police what the kids put on as they'd have been roasting in their usual gear. Agree with CaurnieBred - layers, we also use those single use hand/foot warmers in boots and mitts, oh and watch out for frostbitten noses!

DontEvenThinkAboutIt Sun 10-Feb-13 19:43:15

Gosh, I dont know where you were in Canada but I lived in Quebec for a longtime and we wouldn't think twice about skiing at -10. Even with little kids.
Take heat pads and take hot chocolate breaks and I am sure it will be fine.
If there was strong wind and chill factor it will feel chilly but if there is no wind it would feel fine.
The hills would be quieter if it were cooler but most people would go out at
-10ish.
Temperatures get really cold in Quebec but we wouldn't balk at going out skiing,walking or sledding unless it was less than -15 / -20 ish. We would still go out if it were colder we just wouldn't go out for long.
My mad brother once went skiing when it was -30 something shock it was very quiet apparently hmm

CaurnieBred Sun 10-Feb-13 19:36:41

Merino wool layers and buffs are def the way to go. It was this cold when we went to Selva last January. That, and stopping for hot chocolate!

nomazeena Sun 10-Feb-13 18:05:10

We are going skiing next week- it has been -10 in Austria all day today. I experienced this once in Canada and the locals all thought us brits were nuts for skiing and we had the mountain to ourselves. I'm just a bit concerned about the kids (9-13 not that young). Is anyone there now? or has anyone been with children when its this cold- top tips and reassurance gratefully received-
oh, and should I spend £100 on polar buffs for the whole family in a last minute panic??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now