Skiing at new year 2014

(10 Posts)
Wifepot Mon 04-Feb-13 12:51:51

You must try www.alpsinstyle.com amazing place, family run and private but top luxury and with bespoke childcare. We are so going back.

juneau Sat 02-Feb-13 08:32:00

Ooooh Zermatt sounds lovely! DH loves Switzerland too and is getting fed up of always going to France. I'll see if I can find a SC apartment - we're supposed to be economising hmm

ClareisMee Fri 01-Feb-13 17:40:30

Go for Zermatt.. Prices are no higher than anywhere else and the resort is as Snow sure as can be, I skiied on the Glacier for 3 days in August (along with all the Olympic teams wink DS and DD. They have a huge fireworks display I heard. Saas Fee is lovely but not in an intimate way; v pretty but v cold on the slopes as sun always seemed to be behind a peak and the best runs are on a glasier! (as I remember). Transfer by train from Geneve, one change, four hours and 6 mins.

LIZS Sun 13-Jan-13 16:11:30

Saas has challenging runs as well but not a huge number of black pistes so you could have "done" it in a few days. The lift pass includes other smaller resorts easily accessible by bus for a change of scene and it is possible (but you'd need an early start) to day trip to Zermatt. Transfer to either is longish (3 hours +) unless you fly to Sion. Engelberg might be worth consideration as within 2 hours by train of Zurich. Pretty and family friendly.

juneau Sun 13-Jan-13 10:04:56

Thanks for these ideas. Saas Fee/Zermatt is an idea, although I've heard SF is more of a beginner resort - is that true? DH and I aren't experts, by any means, but we like challenging reds and can do quite a mileage of those in a week.

What about Austria? I've only been to Ellmau and St Anton - so are there any high family-friendly resorts that anyone can recommend?

Tasmania Thu 10-Jan-13 20:08:44

Saas Fee, Switzerland.

Pretty place, high altitude - so likely to have snow that early (people apparently go skiing in summer?). On the other side of the mountain from Zermatt, but without the crowd and the uber-high prices.

andadietcoke Tue 08-Jan-13 22:05:16

We've had Christmas in La Plagne a couple of times and it's lovely. There's the lift across to Les Arcs and with the Paradiski pass you can ski both resorts.

mimolette Tue 08-Jan-13 22:03:32

We went to La Tania this year - about 2 hrs from Geneva and lots of companies offer chalet crèches there. They had fireworks for new year and a mini disco in the snow, I think most resorts do similar. In 3 valleys so even if you get unlucky with snow there (we had plenty) you can get lifts higher up.

massistar Tue 08-Jan-13 13:27:55

We went to Morzine at New Year and had a great time. It's only 1.5 hours from Geneva and the slopes are very gentle and child friendly.

juneau Mon 07-Jan-13 10:24:31

Can anyone who usually skis at this time of year recommend a good, child-friendly, snow-sure resort that's fun at new year?

DH and I are confident intermediates and we've skied quite a lot, but not at new year in the Alps. We have two DSs (who will be 6 and 2), usually ski in France (but are open to other countries), prefer a transfer under two hours, and have only done chalets with childcare since we started skiing with our kids.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now