We need your costume ideas for World Book Day

(135 Posts)
CatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Feb-09 14:56:05

Yes, we need your hot tips for costumes for World Book Day. Have you put together an outfit for your child that went down a storm or do you struggle to find anything within your budget if you can't sew a stitch?

rainbow fish template for crumpet. If it were me I would transfer it to a cheap white T-shirt and paint it/ colour it with fabric paint pens.

<<disclaimer - I love this stuff, DS's school aren't doing it this year, I have withdrawal symptoms>>

ShauntheSheep Mon 02-Mar-09 12:26:56

Dd is going as Lola this year. So pinafore dress and long sleeved top and tights and clips with bows on in her hair.

Plastic glass with pink card inside nad a pink straw for pink milk and she has made a book called 'beetles, bugs and butterflies'.

So that was pretty easy.

GossipMonger Mon 02-Mar-09 12:40:08

ooh Daphne - you big ole spoil sport!

The kids love it and the whole day is lots of fun!!

DaphneMoon Mon 02-Mar-09 12:43:01

Yeh they love it, but they don't have the stress of making it. I have asked my DS three times over the week-end what he thinks he will go as, I have got the answer "dunno" three times. I have decided for him, that he will go as Horrid Henry. If I left it up to him he will wake up Thursday morning and say oh by the way we have to dress up today!

GrimmaTheNome Mon 02-Mar-09 18:31:42

sad I'm still no nearer a solution for my 10 year old DD who has to go as a 'goodie' or 'hero'.

Grimma - how about Pippi Longstocking?

AnyFucker Mon 02-Mar-09 20:11:47

Just William is easy

Just scruff up some school uniform (must be shorts with knee socks), cap on head, smear some dirt on the face and knees and make a catapult out of some twigs.

I had two other ideas but couldn't get ds to agree sad

1) bloke from 118 118- running vest and shorts, trainers, draw on 'tache, mad curly wig (which we already have) and stick or draw on the numbers on the vest. I suppose this isn't strictly a book though unless you count the telephone book!

2) Captain Underpants- pair of DH's Y-fronts worn over clothes, make a red cape out of summat and tie a white scarf on head to simulate bald head

DaphneMoon Tue 03-Mar-09 14:27:49

I've just ordered a jumper from Next for our Horrid Henry costume I was so desperate, it only cost £5 and I have a yellow top I can cut up and sew on the stripes. Perfect colour jumper though so quite pleased and got free delivery. Just need some ideas as to how to make him look more like the character who is only an ordinary looking kind of boy. Might stick his hair up messy and thought of attaching fake spider by a string as in the babysitter story. Feeling a little less stressed about it now. Just got to think of something for next year now early!

Anyfucker, our kids had to dress up as world war 2 evacuees last year, they all looked like just william grin

serendipity3 Tue 21-Sep-10 12:29:49

Great idea for the boys....robber from allan alhberg's 'cops and robbers'. Basically draw with perm marker pen black stripes on an old white tee-shirt, make a robbers mask from cardboard/fabric then I stapled a 'swag' sign to my son's black ruck-sack and he wore dark jeans, trainers and a flat black cap! Alternatively go as a skeleton from the 'funnybones' book by the same author - easy if you have an old halloween costume!

RachH1 Sun 20-Feb-11 14:45:27

Thanks for some good ideas - I've got 2 boys who don't really like dressing up. Pied Piper and Horrid Henry with Nits sound great.

Last year I sent one of the boys as Burglar Bill which was quite easy. Ordinary trousers, striped top & flat cap borrowed from Grandpa. Swag bag & torch. I made the eye mask from a sleep mask we'd got off the plane on our holiday. Cut holes in so he could see & roughly stitched to stop the wadding going into his eyes. He looked great but unfortunately not many of his friends knew who Burglar Bill was!!!
I'll have that!

Clairelister Sun 20-Feb-11 14:48:36

Hi last year my 9 year old went as Pippi long stocking -quite easy with pipe cleaners in her pig tails and a stripy top and tights. This year my younger six year old is going as the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland - just need a hat from a shop and some costumer jewellery, an old scarf and lots of safety pins.

MrsKanga Mon 21-Feb-11 21:51:40

My dd went as Minnie the Minx from the comics. Found an old black beret. got some bright orange wool and plaited it (as believe me she doesnt have black hair like people+me think!!) I attached them to the hat.
Got an old red school jumper and coloured black stripes in permanent marker across the jumper. black skirt. dirty knees..Voila!! she won!!!!

dizzy030 Fri 04-Mar-11 13:20:21

In the past,dd has gone as Little Red Riding Hood (easy), the Chocolate Cat from The Sugar Plum Tree(brown leggings, brown top, brown fur ears & tail)and Laura Ingalls from Little House on the Prarie (long old fashioned dress left over from playing Mary Poppins in a show, and a victorian bonnet). This year she insisted on being Hermione Grainger (easy again!). DS is dressing up for the first time, and he is going as the mouse from the Gruffalo(brown clothes, brown ears/tail, whiskers)- thought this would be practical and comfortable while he plays in the nursery!

Geofin7 Thu 19-Jan-12 15:23:46

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

kcsunshine Thu 23-Feb-12 22:05:13

Fairy tales are hard if you avoid using Disney dresses (my 7yo thinks she's too big for them now I fear ...)

mashyup Wed 29-Feb-12 13:46:49

9 yr old ds going as Hiccup from How to train Dragon, just viking helmet for £2.50 from joke shop as school has said don't make it elaborate (I think they know parents a bit fed up of it by juniors) and 10 yr old ds is refusing to join in as he has a high embarrassment threshold, but says he might go as Fregley from diary of a wimpy kid, I'll just get some joke spectacles and mess his hair up. And draw freckles on. He always refuses until 10 mins before we leave for school so I have to have a quick back up plan.

reckoner Wed 29-Feb-12 13:50:03

Charlie from Charlie & Lola... jeans and a long sleeve top with an old white tshirt over the top where you write CHARLIE on the front.

Codandchops Wed 29-Feb-12 14:06:23

blush£10.99 in the local party fun shop for a Harry Potter outfit.

<realises has failed the thrifty mother test and slinks away before anyone notices>

BerthaTheBogBurglar Wed 29-Feb-12 14:44:17

ds2 (4) - the child from Dear Zoo who gets all the animals sent to him. Who doesn't actually appear in any of the illustrations grin. He's going to carry his toy puppy ...

Dd (9) - Camicazi the viking. Black skinny jeans, boots, long grey t-shirt, metallic belt, messy hair, bit of rope slung across shoulder and a pirate's sword. I offered to get her a hat with horns from ebay but she didn't want it.

ds1 (7) - Captain Haddock from Tintin (who he is obsessed with, having to hunt for all the books on ebay!). Black trousers, old navy jumper with anchor glued to front, black Captain's hat with anchor ditto

Boobella71 Thu 01-Mar-12 10:03:58

Alex Rider ! Genius my Ds is 8 but the same size as an 11 yr old so dressing up is really difficult! Got the books for Xmas too so costume is at least relevant ... Grrr hate this pressure to comply with ridiculous dressing up idea ... Should be kept to KS1 who actually enjoy it... Just my DD to sort who's 11 hmmmm (hmm)

mistlethrush Thu 01-Mar-12 10:11:57

Just William.

Shorts, my socks so wrinkly around ankles, shirt - school one, unbuttoned at collar and untucked (made Ds (6) happy grin), tie - DH found one that was appropriate, cap (sun hat) and school blazer. Oh - and you have to have failed to manage to get him to the hairdressers for a trim for a month or too blush

He was thinking of going as a violinist but I was at a loss for the tail coat.

Gwen67 Thu 28-Feb-13 19:32:41

Hi, Just wondering if anyone can help me. I am looking for a Milly, Molly, Mandy dress for my daughter. She is age 9 but probably fits 10-11 year old clothes. Any hints would be good.

Thanks

Gwen

elsiej Mon 04-Mar-13 16:13:18

my daughter has won best dressed twice, once as Pippi Longstocking: one black sock, one brown, my black ankle boots, denim pinafore, baggy pink t shirt, sprayed red plaits made to stick out with pipe cleaner, freckles applied with brown kohl pencil and toy monkey. The other time she was Jacqueline Wilson's Illustrated Mum. Soo easy! She wore a hippyish sundress she already had and we found two tattoo sleeves left over from Halloween and then covered the erst of her with transfer tattoos she'd been hoarding. My son won as Captain Underpants. White t shirt with Captain Underpants written on it, trousers with underparts over the top and a very badly made cape, improvised from some old material knocking round the house.

biological Wed 06-Mar-13 07:45:51

Grimma - Nanny McPhee! All in black, feather in hat, a few warts and a good stick.

biological Wed 06-Mar-13 07:48:35

Oops guess she's 14 now and you're probably ok for wbd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now