Mumsnet not going to the Baby Show

(103 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-Oct-08 12:31:33

As some of you may we've been umming and ahhing about whether to have a stall at the forthcoming Baby Show because it came to our attention that the organisers also host an arms fair. See this thread for the reasons/debate. Well we've cogitated, ruminated and whatever else that annoying Canadian bloke does, and we've decided not to go.

In truth we are still a bit in two minds about this - as it seems the Mumsnet community is - but we feel we need to do a bit more research/ thinking on it and generally think that it's best to err on the side of caution.

Obviously we think nasty weapons sales to evil regimes is bad - that's an easy one. Whether Clarion (the events organiser) and by extension the Baby Show should be held responsible for organising a legal event however is slightly more tricky in our minds at least. And something we'd like to think about a little more before we start banging a campaign drum about it.

Thanks to all for your input - please do continue to add your thoughts/perspective as it's very helpful for us and sorry to all those who offered to represent us at the Baby Show and who will be disappointed not to go there. We appreciate the offer of your time and hopefully they'll be other events.

Best,
MNHQ

mrstiggywinks Thu 03-May-12 15:52:46

Could mumsnet have their own event please! I was planning on attending the baby show but now having second thoughts. Could do with some bargains before I pop sad

BerryLellow Mon 12-Mar-12 10:28:33

I was just reading this thinking oh look Policywonk and VictorianSqualor are posting, how nice. Durrrr

How on earth did this pop up? confused

PrisonerOfWaugh Mon 12-Mar-12 10:22:43

Look at some of the names that posted <sob>

(was like putting on an old comfy coat that fit)

Told you.

pulls out OFRS and makes call to friendly ex-bf who works for GCHQ

Labootin Mon 12-Mar-12 10:07:51

Are we going back in time today theres something about it on the meet our bloggers bit on home page

Plot thickens.....

QuintessentialyHollow Mon 12-Mar-12 09:29:50

confused

Oh no.

I have fallen victim to Evil Thread Resurrection?

If I am not mistaken, I was heavily against it back then. Eh time flies....

Y'know this will be one of 'those' threads don't you?

You know, all very quiet and hush hush and nothing whatsoever to do with the security services sending each other coded messages through forum threads.

<pulls on night vision goggles>

<purchased from National Geographic natch>

<not nasty arms fair baby people>

ElephantsAreMadeOfElements Mon 12-Mar-12 09:22:37

Quint, Quint, Quint... this was four years ago, and there was a big debate about it all over MN at the time before MNHQ made this decision -- in fact they made the decision because of a substantial group of MNers who thought they should. IIRC the point was that the previous organisers of the arms fair had just quit doing it because of the negative publicity, and Clarion had just taken it over -- so it was more of a message to Clarion that their actively choosing to support the arms trade would have repercussions in their other business dealings. But, as I say, it was four years ago so I may not be RC.

Do like all the talk of trolls and invasions and hoe mn will never be the same smile

Labootin Mon 12-Mar-12 09:13:28

Penny drops on the I'm watching you photo...

Ex CIA ..it was all a deep undercover plot

Labootin Mon 12-Mar-12 09:11:39

Justines got a brand new Uzi .

Labootin Mon 12-Mar-12 09:10:46

Is it a cunning ploy to show how MN is more commercial these days and thus are now arms dealing ...

Labootin Mon 12-Mar-12 09:09:59

This thread is four years old

Quint this is 2008. Or is it happening again?

QuintessentialyHollow Mon 12-Mar-12 09:07:10

Rant Over.

now coffee.

QuintessentialyHollow Mon 12-Mar-12 09:06:50

If, on the other hand you were to say that you would not go to the Baby show as you dont see that a website have much to offer on a stand, or that it is naff, that is in itself a legitimate reason.

QuintessentialyHollow Mon 12-Mar-12 09:05:42

I am NOT going to be infected by Nestle, if I shop in Boots, or Tesco, or any shop that also sells Nestle products.

You are NOT supporting the arms trade by going to the Baby Show, you are not.

You are not giving out any good, or decent, or justifiable messages by not taking part of the event. You are telling the world that the other exhibitors (and possibly also the attendees to any Clarion event), in your opinion, are in fact supporting the arms trade, and would not that harm advertising revenue more?
You are coming across as rather Square.

Am I nmissing zonethin?

QuintessentialyHollow Mon 12-Mar-12 08:56:34

What the Actual Fuck.

Justine. This is ridiculous. What a ridiculous thing. That is like shooting yourself in the foot.

The target group of the Baby show is parents of babies, not Gadaffis in waiting!

I cannot walk down the street, because there might be criminals there, and there might be prostitutes, and I cant be associated with any of these, oh no!

LadyFingers Mon 12-Mar-12 08:55:51

weevils opening up the kink in the space-time continuum again.

Why has this sudenky been bumped?

Tee2072 Mon 12-Mar-12 08:46:15

According to Wiki (so take it with a whole shaker of salt) his accent is Mid-Atlantic. Whatever the hell that means.

Flisspaps Mon 12-Mar-12 08:33:07

I never knew Loyd Grossman wasn't a Canadian.

RunnyGrobbles Mon 12-Mar-12 07:59:19

I support this 100%.

The link on Hackney doula's blog Mentioned a 'list of banned advertisers'. Is it possible that this list could be made public? It might cause some drama initially but would be nice and transparent and probably would make it easier to debate things.

Was not opposed to the sex shop adverts but ultimately I think it was v. good that it was discussed and they were removed since that was the consensus.

grin wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now