Unable to read forum without logging in

(23 Posts)
Becles Thu 30-Jun-16 20:19:20

When I'm I'm tedious meetings I occasionally end up reading AIBU on the ipad to pass the time while reading papers obvs. Tried to access today and it kept trying to make me sign in.

Is this a new thing?

Becles Sun 03-Jul-16 07:54:06

Just in case mnhq missed this thread.

BoomalakkaWee Sun 03-Jul-16 12:22:42

Same thing's happened to me, but only started today. The forum page loads then abruptly greys out, a "Log in" pop-up panel opens, and there's no bloody way to delete the panel and select any threads on the forum.

Whose brilliant idea is this?

KatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 06-Jul-16 18:07:21

Hi folks,

This is something we're trialling at the moment. The test is currently only showing to a small proportion of users on talk - do bear with, and apologies for any annoyance.

Jasonandyawegunorts Wed 06-Jul-16 18:11:09

Is it an attempt to stop troll prone areas of the site being invaded by trolls?

That's a very good idea.

Becles Thu 07-Jul-16 21:23:41

Wrote a post in response and lost it.

In summary, it's annoying so I'm spending 40-50% less time reading the forums at work during lunch and meetings. Also so annoying that the commute is less enjoyable.

Becles Fri 08-Jul-16 07:51:56

Also wouldn't it be more productive to focus on some of the more easily fixed frustrating bits of the site such as the lack of editing options after posting?!?

poocatcherchampion Fri 08-Jul-16 07:53:24

Noone wants the edit ability.

Get on with your work smile

Becles Fri 08-Jul-16 18:08:23

I want the edit facility - even if only for.30 seconds after posting. LOTS of people also want itsmile

handslikecowstits Sat 09-Jul-16 11:50:49

I had this pop up for the first time this morning. I don't like it at all. It's very irritating. If MNHQ are trialing this in the hope of dissuading trolls, I don't think it'll work.

Becles Thu 14-Jul-16 07:43:27

MNHQ how long will this annoying trial last?

BoomalakkaWee Tue 19-Jul-16 14:03:43

After a fortnight's blissful browsing without logging in, it's decided to "trial" me again this afternoon!

I'd love to know what earthly advantage this proposed "improvement" is intended to offer, since it's clearly frustrating the regulars rather than dissuading trolls.

sglodion Tue 19-Jul-16 14:22:45

Happening to me today too. It's really irritating, I never log in when I'm reading at work just in case I forget to log out and someone reads all my threads!

IlikeCluedo Tue 19-Jul-16 15:10:46

This seems to have been happening to me for a while. It's really annoying. I used to be able to have a quick look at interesting posts on the tablet when I had five minute. I hate logging in not only is it a faff but I also worry about forgetting to log out as the DCs also use the tablet and I don't want the eldest to read my threads.

It means that rather than spending my time here I'm just play phone games when I have a minute because it's easier.

latebreakfast Thu 28-Jul-16 15:14:18

Please please don't bring this in permanently. I browse MN on a big variety of devices and don't want to have to log in just to quickly read a couple of threads. Thanks!!

SpottyShoes123 Thu 28-Jul-16 20:07:47

Yeah this is really frustrating. I read lots but when this box comes up I just come of the site. However if its going to block trolls then it would be worth it.

JeynePoole Fri 29-Jul-16 05:53:51

Incredibly frustrating. And it has never happened to me before today. I like to browse. I don't generally post (ever) so to be forced to not just log in, but actually create an account that I never use is doubly irritating.

I'm all annoyed and grumpy now.

RobberBride Sat 30-Jul-16 09:50:39

Just a thought, but surely any troll or DM journalist intelligent enough to create a good fake thread or take a MN story and turn it into a DM article will be determined enough to create a login just so they can browse/screenshot/cause havoc?

Smartiepants79 Sat 30-Jul-16 09:54:41

Thi happened to me the other day on my mobile. It was extremely frustrating and I gave up and switched it off. I also use mumsnet on several devices but only ever log in on one of them.
Please don't make this a permanent feature. The advice available should be accessible to all.

ArmySal Sat 30-Jul-16 10:09:10

It's doing it to me, very annoying.

RobberBride Sat 30-Jul-16 12:49:17

Arggg. Please make it stop! Or I'll have to change my password to a much less secure one which is surely counter productive.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 30-Jul-16 12:54:44

Well... From a business point of view; it serves MN very well. They then have more active users, rather than views, which are a slightly outdated metric.

spudnik1 Mon 01-Aug-16 11:26:52

Please make it stop!
I can never remember passwords and so have to find where I wrote it down (also cant remember where I put it) every time. I only have a few minutes before baby wakes up again don't want to waste it searching for a password!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now