How about a new topic for tracking down long lost family/friends.

(11 Posts)
MardyBra Sun 02-Jun-13 11:34:52

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/1768376-This-is-my-very-last-resort-ideas-needed-to-help-me-find-my-dad-brothers-and-sisters?msgid=39436883

MN is such a vast network of resources, wouldn't it be great to have a topic where posters could list family or friends they have lost touch with and would like to contact.

Would there be any privacy issues though?

EauRouge Sun 02-Jun-13 11:39:55

Maybe it could go in the local forums where we all have different names anyway.

EauRouge Sun 02-Jun-13 11:41:43

Although that would only work if people knew which area to start their search.

MardyBra Sun 02-Jun-13 11:47:27

Someone could namechange specially for the search thread.

I was thinking of privacy issues for the people who are being searched for. They may not want to be found iyswim.

CalamityKate Sun 02-Jun-13 11:59:00

I'll be watching this with interest because my half sister was looking for me years ago. I found a post from her on one of those people finder sites. Of course I replied but I don't know if she ever got it. I've heard nothing since.

I was adopted as a baby and found out about her as an adult but never tracked her down as I didn't know if she even knew about me. Obviously she did, hence the post I found. It had been there 5 years before I saw it and I replied 4 years ago sad

EauRouge Sun 02-Jun-13 12:00:00

That's true, there could be court orders and the like, especially with people looking for their ex-partners and DCs. Not sure what the legal position would be on that.

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 02-Jun-13 12:20:10

Thanks for this we will have a think

MardyBra Sun 02-Jun-13 13:19:10

I'm sure MNHQ could put in some proper safeguards/guidelines. smile

FruOla Sun 02-Jun-13 15:22:07

I've been following, and posting on, that thread - I think it's fantastic and I hope the OP gets enough information from all the lovely MNers who are helping her on that thread, but ... exciting though it is, privacy issues have to be paramount.

EauRouge. I'm adopted. I'd love to find my BM - but the 'local' forums wouldn't be of much help to me (I don't think). There are (at least) five different countries, on three different continents involved with my adoption shock

Maryz Sun 02-Jun-13 17:03:59

I posted this on the other thread, and hope no-one minds if I post it here:

"But I have to say I'm a bit shocked by how quick and easy it has been. Imagine being a "battered wife" on the run these days. It would be easy for an abusive partner to post something about looking for a long-lost sister, and saying he had heard she might have children of certain names, and that she might have moved to such and such an area."

Waferthinmint Mon 03-Jun-13 21:05:06

I am fairly shocked at the post. All those personal details floating around with mumnstters googling and searching. Those individuals have not being given a say as to whether they appear on a national forum! Have no one got privacy anymore? They didn't choose to have this online presence! I have reported th pe thread and expect to receive a response.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now