[smile] It's the UN International Day of Happiness: come spread some cheer here!

(45 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 07:33:47

Hello smile

It's the UN International Day of Happiness today <ignores Budgety gloom> so we thought it would be nice to spread a little cheer Mumsnet-wide.

Do please post on this thread stuff to make folks smile, larf, guffaw and rofl. It could be a wry tale, a funny story, a silly idea or a cracking joke - just something that could make make today just that little bit happier for everyone.

I'll go first <nervous grin>.

A few days ago, my DS3 said to me, "I love you, Mum... And, this time, I actually mean it." hmm grin

Your turn!

What's the most muscly mythical creature?

The Fit-Ness Monstergrin
My 9yo DD came up with that this morning.
Today is International Storytelling Day, and the Vernal Equinox. Spring is here!

SamraLee Thu 21-Mar-13 07:35:03

What is the difference between a stoat and a weasel?

A weasel is weasally recognised and a stoat is stoatally different!

My daughter is 8 months old and woke up with awesome bedhead that made me chuckle when I saw it. Her hair looks like a wave, I think you could surf it. Also, she makes all these cute noises mixed in with her attempts to communicate with us, our favourite is a little growl. She sounds like she's possessed by a demon, adorable!

DizzyHoneyBee Thu 21-Mar-13 05:53:41

I got to have birthday cake for breakfast yesterday, that certainly made me smile smile

ripsishere Thu 21-Mar-13 03:11:47

And Chaos, that's a great story. My parents are coming over to us at the end of May.
DD has no idea. I'll collect them from the airport, bring them home and let them knock on the front door.
The last time they surprised her, we were living in Belgium, they'd driven over let themselves in and parked on our front.
DD was incensed at this, run indoors, grabbed her scooter and set off for the police station. She'd run straight past them sitting in the kitchen.

ripsishere Thu 21-Mar-13 03:10:15

The jokes are great.
My happy moment today will come when the washing machine arrives. Landlord told me it wasn't essential...
I had been taking our daily clothes to the laundry where they wash, dry and iron them for pennies.
I told him I would buy one and take it out of the rent.
It allegedly arrives this afternoon...

It's DD3's 10th birthday today.

DH works away every week - leaves Monday lunchtimes and gets home Saturday evening.

She's been morose for a while that this is the first time she's ever had a birthday without seeing him, especially sad as it's a "spevial one where I finally get to Double Digits." smile

He fibished his work at 5 this morning, drove 120 miles to surprise her and make her crepes.

Smile?

She nearly burst.

I sobbed.

MelodyBaker Wed 20-Mar-13 21:50:28

DD makes me happy. <soppy>
Today, a friend texted me to see how i am. I have depression and she usually aviods me so the thought was nice.

fantastic40 Wed 20-Mar-13 21:44:04

Well this is what made me laugh today.

cuppateaanyone Wed 20-Mar-13 20:34:21

Watching my Dad kiss DS when he scratched his face today, Dad and I do not really get on but he and DS have a bond and I love it .

nenevomito Wed 20-Mar-13 20:23:53

How do you make lady gaga cry?

Poker face.

Wallison Wed 20-Mar-13 20:13:10

I went to B&Q recently and an assistant came up to me and said "Do you want decking?"

I got the first punch in and vowed never to return.

Oh Kate thank you for lovely JeanLuc...sigh.

We live on a farm and our office is in the house too.
Yesterday saw my husband's PA and me chasing three sheep around the garden trying to get them back to their field. The accountant was hanging out of the window in hysterics and shouting instructions.
When we asked her to come and join in, she said it wasn't in her job description. grin
We were all crying with laughter

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 15:52:02

This make me ludicrously happy

Texts from my DM always make me smile, she sent me this on Valentines day "The dog has received several cards already, although the handwriting is suspiciously like her own"

blackeyedbees Wed 20-Mar-13 14:38:34

I asked Ds1 (2) if he would like a baby brother or sister. He answered "no mummy I want a chocolate frog"

BiscuitMillionaire Wed 20-Mar-13 14:16:52

Ice break jump fail youtu.be/zd7c5tQCs1I
It makes me cry with laughter every time.

reastie Wed 20-Mar-13 14:04:46

I teach cookery at secondary school level. Recently I was demonstrating making scones to a class and had all of the ingredients/equipment/cooking instructions on the board behind me. A student put his hand up and asked me very seriously 'why do we need gas masks, miss?' so I looked at him like this hmm before realising he misread gas mark grin . He seriously thought part of the practical was me making them wear gas masks <giggles>. It was very hard to keep a straight face!

HighJinx Wed 20-Mar-13 13:14:21

Some of these are funny

mistletoeoak Wed 20-Mar-13 12:45:42

What did the hare say to the owl?
Your a hoot

Okay that was naf blush

Sort of budget-esque, I heard this when I dropped my son off this morning:

Politicians and nappies have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason wink

IzzieA Wed 20-Mar-13 12:36:56

A man walked in to a bar....

OUCH!

LittleBunnyFeileFooFoo Wed 20-Mar-13 12:30:22

What do you get when you cross an elephant and a rhino?

Elephino!

mmmerangue Wed 20-Mar-13 11:53:35

Marking place on this utterly non-tosses-given miserable and to top it off un-Spring-like day...

What do you get if you cross a cow, a sheep and a goat?

The Milky Baa Kid!

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 20-Mar-13 11:43:09

I was feeling a bit meh this morning but kohl, your link left me with a huge grin on my face.
Nice work.

familylawmum Wed 20-Mar-13 11:42:50

what's green and smells like red paint?

Green paint!

A few weeks after my son started school he told me he had a new friend Henry. He then said there's just one thing I don't like, he keeps saying you're a liar. I was shocked. I waited a few minutes and then probed him a bit about exactly what Henry had said. The answer was the same "you're a liar". Then he said "he also said you were his Mummy's liar".... then the penny dropped. I was his Mummy's lawyer. I laughed so much. It took a while to try and explain it to my son, but we got there eventually!

Happiness is in the heart, not in the circumstances. So have a happy heart everyone whatever your circumstances.

Mercedes519 Wed 20-Mar-13 11:31:25

My current favourite joke from DS's joke book...

What's pink and fluffy?

....Pink Fluff

grin

Halfling Wed 20-Mar-13 11:27:42

Today I woke up happy and in really high spirits.

Last night I decided to let go a friendship after months of trying and being miserable.

I no longer have to to try to fit in and accomodate someone's nastiness and small mindedness, just for the sake of social dynamics.

Thank you, you cunt, for reminding me that I need to make myself the focus of my life and not you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now