Hellbanning - brilliant way to deal with trolls & abusive posters?

(30 Posts)
exexpat Sat 19-Jan-13 17:03:45

I saw this article yesterday which gives some novel ways to deal with trolls .

I particularly like the idea of 'hellbanning' - trolls aren't blocked from the site, but their posts are made invisible to everyone but themselves. So there they are, starting threads, posting inflammatory replies etc and gradually starting to wonder why everyone is ignoring them. Eventually even the thickest, most persistent troll would give up. A very effective way of enforcing 'don't feed the troll'.

Worth a try, MNHQ?

IamtheZombie Sat 19-Jan-13 19:20:42

Zombie whispers: hide poster

Only joking!! grin

<< Runs away >>

exexpat Sat 19-Jan-13 19:31:06

No, I'm definitely not expatinscotland - she's still around under the same name, afaik. There are a few of us around with expat-related names, but I think we're all generally different enough (posting styles, topics we hang out on) that it shouldn't be too confusing most of the time. I hope not, anyway.

Sunnywithshowers Sun 20-Jan-13 22:20:46

Hellbanning sounds awesome.

MrsWembley Mon 21-Jan-13 19:40:53

Like this idea too. I get so fed up of posters troll-baiting and getting deleted and then investing time and energy into their threads too. It would be lovely if this was already in action on known trolls starting threads and being ignored.

<satisfied smirk emoticon>

Pinot Mon 21-Jan-13 20:07:56

But they would realise in no time at all, enjoy the challenge and just re-reg as they do now. Nothing would change.

It would work for 5 minutes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now