BBC Radio 4 Woman's Hour Power List - which women should be nominated for their impact on family life?

(73 Posts)
JaneGMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 15-Nov-12 09:19:45

Hello everyone,

Justine has been asked by BBC Radio 4 Woman's Hour to talk about their Power List, which will be a list to celebrate the achievements of the 100 most powerful women in the UK, nominated by listeners. The interview will be aired on Tuesday 20 November.

The list will be announced by Woman's Hour in early 2013 - further information about the list, the judging panel and how to nominate here: www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/womans-hour/power-list/

They'd like to know who we think are the pick of influential women who shape family life - childcare experts, popular educationalists, lifestyle figures, opinion formers, bloggers, pressure groups, doctors, midwives etc. They're looking for women who have the biggest impact on our economy, society, politics and culture, and the ability to inspire change as a role model or a thinker.

Who do you think should be nominated?

Thanks very much for your help,

MNHQ

jesiii Sat 16-Feb-13 14:22:28

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

mooniy Thu 14-Feb-13 22:25:52

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

"But it wasn't about influence it was about power" - aren't the two linked somewhat ?!

I feel I'm quite a well informed woman and there were quite a lot of women there that I don't recognise. Obviously to me it feels there's something not quite right there.

I like Shami Chakrabati a lot, from what I've heard her say.

ReindeerBollocks Wed 13-Feb-13 22:39:44

Congrats Justine and Carrie thanks

It's a shame Doreen Lawrence wasn't recognised, the whole Lawreence family has suffered in the worst way possible and still fought one hell of a battle to get justice for her son. Ditto Sara Payne.

Not a huge fan of Shami Chakrabati- whilst I recognise that she has done some very commendable things, and is great lobbying for Human rights she isn't afraid to step on anyone - including other HR lawyers.

cocoachannel Wed 13-Feb-13 20:06:36

Caught up with the podcast on commute today? Very pleased for all at MNHQ, and indeed proud of most all MNers. I think we should all reflect on some of the judges' comments, ESP. that about supporting each others' choices (eg. SAHM, v. WOHM). Must admit to hanging my head a bit on that one, as quick to rise to the bait in 'those' threads.

Congratulations Justine & Carrie thanks

YesAnastasia Wed 13-Feb-13 15:14:54

I think Victoria Beckham is great and I'm so glad she's on there. I used to be 'meh' about her until she (almost?) fainted at a photo shoot/launch thing and revealed how tired she was with a new baby, big family, job etc & I thought about her then. She's actually amazing if you stop to think about her.

I'm also happy about Shami Chakrabati - I'm a bit of a fan of hers and was so pleased to see her being honoured at the olympics.

Yay for Justine & Carrie - this place had some awesome power and it makes me proud smile

Where is Prof Tanya Byron on the list

FloatyBeatie Wed 13-Feb-13 10:54:24

The number of "firsts" on the list is a very interesting point, Wolf. It suggests that (for the purposes of this list) the power of those women is constituted, not in the actual exercise of their expertise, but in their having broken through a constraint. And that in turn is constraining for successful women: they are defined in terms of their exceptionality and (despite themselves) they often are used to suggest that a definitive kind of progress for women has been achieved, when in fact all that has happened is that an aberration has occurred. Thatcher, for example, as the first woman prime minister: her success suggested a momentous breakthrough for women, but then we reverted to the male politics that we had never really left.

The list is interesting, and it seems to have been compiled with much more care and thought than most media "top 100" type lists. But, as its creaters have said, I think, its interest lies in its being a stimulus to what should be a massive discussion about women and power, and about the continuing lack of power for women

I've been going through the list as I only know a handful of names and am staggered by the number of 1sts in there. 1st female Chief Medical Officer, 1st woman to sit on Britains Supreme Court, 1st female CEO of Royal Mail, 1st woman to run a major British bank...etc
Most of the appointments seem to have happend post the year 2000 also. It just goes to show how long a struggle women have had to raise themselves into positions of power.

Meglet England Tue 12-Feb-13 20:34:14

Well done Carrie and Justine smile. A well deserved place in the Top 10.

myalias Tue 12-Feb-13 20:19:15

I agree with GetOrf Sarah Millican!!! Should have been Sara Payne MBE.
Congratulations to Justine and Carrie thanks

ElectricSheep Tue 12-Feb-13 19:40:33

Where is Shirley Williams? Did I miss her?

There aren't any other women that I'm aware of alive that are founders of a national political party. sad

And where is Diane Abbott? Love her or hate her, she surely is quite powerful?

Tee2072 Tue 12-Feb-13 17:35:13

confused JK Rowling is on the list. At 13.

Fowey123 Tue 12-Feb-13 15:42:12

JK Rowling and Doreen Lawrence definitely should be on list.

Tee2072 Tue 12-Feb-13 14:58:25

Congratulations Ladies! flowers wine [gin]

IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Tue 12-Feb-13 14:19:11

Congratulations! thanks and wine

What an inspiring list. I know hardly any of them but having clicked on a few to read the profiles I feel very proud and inspired. I also feel strengthened in my determination to have short, uncoloured hair grin
yay!

GetOrf Tue 12-Feb-13 14:02:47

God only knows how Sarah Millican got on there. In what world is she powerful? Other than in the world of terrible haircuts.

Kveta Tue 12-Feb-13 12:48:30

Congrats to Justine and Carrie smile

R4 Tue 12-Feb-13 12:20:26

A few thoughts .... firstly I'd like to see more familiar faces on there ... broadcasters, comedians those sort of women - I think they're very influential.

But it wasn't about influence, it was about power. Hence no Kate Middleton, but top spot goes to HMQ.

Congrats to Carrie and Justine.

belleat40 Tue 12-Feb-13 12:16:12

Congratulations to Carrie and Justine.
Can't help thinking it's a list that's lacking in ethnic diversity though.

ouryve Tue 12-Feb-13 11:03:16

Congratulations, Carrie and Justine!

I'm a bit worried that Teresa May is No2, though. Scary woman.

GetOrf Tue 12-Feb-13 10:49:20

Congratulations to Justine and Carrie - well done.

Congrats to Justine and Carrie thanks

A few thoughts .... firstly I'd like to see more familiar faces on there ... broadcasters, comedians those sort of women - I think they're very influential.
So, Jo Brand, Miranda, Dawn French ?

Secondly Justine and Carrie are two people not one ... even if they are blood sisters !

Thirdly ... I'm sure Camila B has done some great work with Kids Company but when I was a young teacher working in an inner city school I felt she could have been more welcoming and supportive - as I would have liked to engage more with the project that was visiting our school.

Maryz Cote D'Ivoire Tue 12-Feb-13 10:21:47

I'm just marking my place to have a proper look later.

That looks like a really varied and interesting list. And congrats to J&C.

girlpilot Tue 12-Feb-13 09:41:05

Congratulations to Carrie and Justine!
I don't think that many of the entries are that much of a surprise, HM the Queen was always going to be No.1.

(Does anyone else find the 'alphabet by first name' really annoying? )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now