BBC Radio 4 Woman's Hour Power List - which women should be nominated for their impact on family life?

(73 Posts)
JaneGMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 15-Nov-12 09:19:45

Hello everyone,

Justine has been asked by BBC Radio 4 Woman's Hour to talk about their Power List, which will be a list to celebrate the achievements of the 100 most powerful women in the UK, nominated by listeners. The interview will be aired on Tuesday 20 November.

The list will be announced by Woman's Hour in early 2013 - further information about the list, the judging panel and how to nominate here: www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/womans-hour/power-list/

They'd like to know who we think are the pick of influential women who shape family life - childcare experts, popular educationalists, lifestyle figures, opinion formers, bloggers, pressure groups, doctors, midwives etc. They're looking for women who have the biggest impact on our economy, society, politics and culture, and the ability to inspire change as a role model or a thinker.

Who do you think should be nominated?

Thanks very much for your help,

MNHQ

ThePathanKhansWitch Fri 16-Nov-12 17:54:03

Carmel Maconnell, founder of The Magic Breakfast Club. Feeding hungry kids.Amazing woman, re-mortgaged her own house to start this.

Yy to Camilia B.

babybarrister Fri 16-Nov-12 19:13:25

Baroness Hale, shami chakrabati, mrs justice Lucy theis and shirin ebadi - spot the lawyer!

doyouwantfrieswiththat Fri 16-Nov-12 20:05:13

Helen Glover and Heather Stanning - fantastic role models for girls.

FOURBOYSUNDER6 Fri 16-Nov-12 20:55:32

Oh yes definitely another vote for Sheila k !!!!! I thank her for my amazing labour confidence !

mummeeee Fri 16-Nov-12 21:21:00

Another vote for Shami Chakrabati

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 16-Nov-12 22:15:04

I would vote for Justine and Carrie too and MN as a whole. They give normal woman a voice. Without MN and really the influence of it's founders ie allowing proper full and frank discussion without censor, I would feel very bereft.

J K Rowling is a good candidate, her books inspired thousands of children to "get" the joy of reading.

snapespeare Sat 17-Nov-12 09:16:07

I nominated camila batmanghelidjh. It has been my immense privilege to meet her on a number of occasions through work and she is an absolute beacon of hope for children and young adults.

OctoberOctober Sat 17-Nov-12 16:04:26

Natalie Gamble - lawyer specializing in lesbian family law including parental rights.

Carmel McConnell - hugely inspirational for her work with Magic Breakfast.

happyherdwick Sat 17-Nov-12 18:12:38

Jenny Murray!! I love her interviewing style,she is compassionate and full of gentle humour and I think Woman's Hour does a lot for women's issues

CanonFodder Sat 17-Nov-12 19:58:05

Another one for Carmel MCconnell. I had never heard of camila batmanghelidjh but she sounds like she deserves a vote too!

Portofino Sat 17-Nov-12 23:52:36

Helena Kennedy

Seabright Sun 18-Nov-12 13:32:49

Lady Justice Butler Sloss. She was President of the Family Division of the High Court and often had to make difficult and heart-breaking decisions. Her decisions and reasoning were always fair and clear and shaped some of the most difficult aspect of family law/right to life etc

Queen Noor of Jordan. She and her DIL (current Queen) are progressive women in the Arab world.

crochetcircle Sun 18-Nov-12 21:51:15

Jennifer Fear, CEO of Step Forward charity in Tower Hamlets. She runs an innovative charity that provides counselling, personal development, healthcare services and family and LGBT support services for young people in the borough. I've seen the great work she has done first hand, and its amazing the number of young people that have been helped by her work.

Vijac Sun 18-Nov-12 21:54:51

Helen Fielding, Monica Ali, J K Rowling and Julia Donaldson. There may be a little theme in my list.

OatyBeatie Mon 19-Nov-12 08:06:13

Just wanted to mention that although this thread is specifically about impact on "family life" (presumably because that's what Jusstine was asked to talk about) that isn't what the Women's Hour power list itself focuses on -- it's about impact generally. It's worth mentioning that because it would be a shame if the list got too skewed towards presenting women in their domestic light.

I nominated Onora O'Neill -- influential philosopher (both intellectually and institutionally) in a very male dominated discipline, and new leader of the Equalities Commission.

OatyBeatie Mon 19-Nov-12 08:11:12

I guess that like all of these top 100 type things, the list is going to be skewed by who can raise the most online attention. It's good to think also of influential women who aren't necessarily at the forefront of social media.

peasabovesticks Mon 19-Nov-12 10:22:34

I would also like to nominate Pauline Clare. She was the first ever female Chief Constable. She is a wonderful woman who achieved an incredible 'first.'

Blu Mon 19-Nov-12 10:44:56

Malala Yousufzai - for standing up for education, and not being daunted by religious and cultural pressure. Nor letting youth stand in her way.

Jenny Sealey - co-director of the operning ceremony of the Paralympics - working mother, deaf woman - doing it all, running an award winning theatre company, and doing it on her own terms with co-operation, humour, committment to diversity of all kinds.

OatyBeatie Mon 19-Nov-12 13:09:26

Another key woman philosopher who has been impactful over a long period is Mary Warnock, quite significant in academe and very influential in matters of public policy connected with medical ethics and research ethics.

It would be brilliant to raise the profile of women philosophers because philosophy is lagging behind in terms of numbers of women involved, and the new generation of media philosophers all seem to be blimmin men.

JaneGMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Feb-13 09:17:03

Good morning,

Woman's Hour have announced their Power List of the 100 most powerful women in the UK today, and rather excitingly, entry number 7 is Justine Roberts & Carrie Longton!

Take a look at the list and listen to the Woman's Hour Live Edition discussing the Power List at 10am today by clicking on this link.

What do you think - do you agree with the 100?

Thanks,

MNHQ

MmeLindor Tue 12-Feb-13 09:38:34

Congratulations to Carrie and Justine, and the entire MNHQ team. I was really pleased to see that they were included on that list, as I feel they are a proxy for us 'ordinary' women.

Mumsnet has given us a voice, and has made others listen to us. We are most powerful when we speak as one, as we did on the miscarriage campaign or the We Believe You campaign.

flowers and wine for you all. Thank you.

MarshaBrady Tue 12-Feb-13 09:39:37

That's great, well done!

girlpilot Tue 12-Feb-13 09:41:05

Congratulations to Carrie and Justine!
I don't think that many of the entries are that much of a surprise, HM the Queen was always going to be No.1.

(Does anyone else find the 'alphabet by first name' really annoying? )

Maryz Tue 12-Feb-13 10:21:47

I'm just marking my place to have a proper look later.

That looks like a really varied and interesting list. And congrats to J&C.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now