Hide Poster (again!)

(353 Posts)
UltraBOF Wed 10-Oct-12 13:13:49

Hide me, hide me! grin

I think that it's time to revisit the arguments for this again: the site is much bigger and full of wankers than it used to be, and there is a lot of unnecessary conflict. Given that civilian moderators have been discounted, and that the community team's workload is practically Dickensian, don't you think that anything which will reduce personal attacks and thus the need for deletions would be a good thing?

I understand that Justine is worried that threads "won't make sense", but given that a) people mostly talk shite anyway and fly off-topic (eg Larkers in the face of Po-some OPs etc); and b) the hide button would be individually activated by choice and not compulsory, I don't think this argument really holds water.

There are many posters mature enough to never need to shield themselves from the profoundly irritating, and some folk are naturally imbued with a zen-like calm in the face of fucknuggetry, but for the rest of us, please please please give us the option to simply never have to read the posts of people we know invariably get on our last nerve.

I am convinced that spats will reduce; people will participate more widely and constructively in threads, instead of having to hide them once their nemesis appears; goading will become much less sustained; and the bill to MNHQ for gin at weekends will be slashed to pre-2005 levels.

What's not to like?

Pascha Wed 10-Oct-12 13:40:39

Surely all that is needed once you have hidden a poster in Customise is a hide/show button on each relevant post so if you do want to see a specific post by that poster, to understand something not otherwise clear, then you just click the button and that particular post is visible.

I would vote for a Hide Poster option, BTW, although I do have Zen-like calm in the face of fucknuggetry.

UltraBOF Wed 10-Oct-12 13:41:22

Another argument that comes up over this issue is that we might lose the opportunity to educate posters in the error of their ways.

I reject this too, as I don't believe people would just merrily click Hide every time someone disagreed with them; the point is that posters who are impervious to reason and that you know merely serve to irritate you on a consistent basis, to the point where you sometimes just have to avoid entire threads or even topics, could be hidden so that you can participate in a discussion without falling into the trap of becoming tetchy or rude. And there will always be posters who take pride in being tolerant and patient, and wouldn't hide anybody at all. If they want to engage, they are absolutely free to do so.

ShirleyRots Wed 10-Oct-12 13:41:47

I would like it but it would be mostly pointless. Because the thread would go:

POster A: I think that's good
Poster B: Bollshite
You have hidden this poster
Poster A: OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SAID THAT POSTER C
Me: <clicks unhide> <gets the rage>

I just know myself too well.

<shakes head>

<hides self>

OhDeerHauntingFENTON Wed 10-Oct-12 13:42:04

I like the idea of customising the comment you would see. You could have "You have chosen to hide this poster because he/she is a twat / is a bigot / an irritant / a goader

Ah, and if they namechange, would the hide still be valid?

That could be interesting...

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Wed 10-Oct-12 13:43:07

People don't read every post anyway and there is always some a degree of repetition on every thread - I don't think a small increase of repetition would harm the way threads read.

InfestationofLannisters Wed 10-Oct-12 13:43:18

"Full of wankers" grin

Are you okay BoF?

:head tilt:

Totally agree btw.

ShirleyRots Wed 10-Oct-12 13:43:48

People don't read every post anyway and repeat themselves.

wink at GOML. I would definitely hide myself. I am annoying

EleanorBloodBathsket Wed 10-Oct-12 13:44:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UltraBOF Wed 10-Oct-12 13:44:27

The hider wouldnt know they were hidden.

As it is, many posters force themselves to go gozzy-eyed and skim over certain people's contributions as it is, recognising that engaging with wind-up merchants is futile anyway. Or they stay off the thread. It's really just an extension of Don't Feed The Troll, but personalised.

EleanorBloodBathsket Wed 10-Oct-12 13:45:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Wed 10-Oct-12 13:46:12

I don't want to educate the people I am thinking about - they are uneducatable and are here for one purpose - goading and wind ups.

I also don't care if they mend their ways - their card is marked, I will loathe them forever.

<harsh>

WereTricksPotter Wed 10-Oct-12 13:46:14

There's C&P too.

'Xxx, you said blahdibladioffensiveblahdibladishite'

Me, FFS! angry

WilfredToadflax Wed 10-Oct-12 13:46:29

Actually, please take back my previous post.
I'm with we're. I'd feel really hurt if I knew someone had hidden me.

Also, another thought, if I hid BOF (not that I would), if she changed her name, would the nc be hidden too, or just BOF?
If NCes would be hidden too, that could open up the opportunity to find out posters other names.
^^ that might make no sense at all blush

Only thing that occurs to me is the potential. For other people finding out you've hidden them - would this be expected to remin private.

Stealth: bof I think what you said was very witty and pertinent. Please can you just clarify your third point.
Bof: <comes on, has stealth hidden, ignores>. Nearly Christmas innit
Stealth: why are you ignoring me?
Bof: isn't it cold in the mornings these days?
Stealth: bof why are you ignoring me???
Someone else: she must have you hidden

UltraBOF Wed 10-Oct-12 13:50:36

The point Eleanor makes about sailing close to the wind is a good one too. MNHQ, don't you think that it would actually help posters stick to the Guidelines better, if they were able to make the posters who persistently twist their melons effectively invisible?

I can think of a few otherwise lovely and wonderful posters who are no longer here because they simply didn't manage to sit on their hands often enough with certain other MNers.

In parenting terms, dont you want to catch us being good? grin

SeveredEdMcDunnough Wed 10-Oct-12 13:51:26

I stay off clearly controversial threads anyway - I mean when someone is deliberately being a dick. It isn't worth it.

If those are the threads you find satisfying and wish to engage with then that's not something I feel MN should help you with (you generally, not you YOU)

The only people I'd hide are the ones I find really really odd, and miserable, and kind of despairing whatever anyone says. The ones that sound as if they are continually in tears and think the world is out to get them.

Only because they remind me of someone IRL. It isn't their fault if they are that way. It just pains me to read it.

Everyone else I don't see eye to eye with is either an engage-with-and-explain/argue, or an ignore and read a different thread as they are a tosser.

It's not that hard. And yes if someone repeated something I'd just said, on a thread, I'd be thinking 'have they hidden me?' and it would make me really worried, especially if I liked them/thought they were quite nice.

UltraBOF Wed 10-Oct-12 13:52:05

Ah, but Stealth, once I saw someone else comment to you, I could choose to unhide you and reassure you even if I was lying grin

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Wed 10-Oct-12 13:52:09

I wouldn't care if people hid me - I certainly wouldn't be hurt. If I piss people off that much it is good isn't it that I am hidden and can't annoy people any more. It will make Mumsnet all hearts and flowers and all unicorny and rainbowy.

BOF WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME
grin

HoopDePoop Wed 10-Oct-12 13:53:27

I wouldn't want it. It's an inclusive site, in general, which self-moderates an amazing extent. You say it wouldn't be everyone hiding the same poster, but I think it could easily go that way on a lot of threads. Eg I think a lot of you know each other from previous threads and I'd be in all honesty too scared to post in case you all hid me <cries>

I don't like the whole 'Po' thing either while I'm at it probably because I am one - it is just sneering at people with different opinions and giving them a name to call them, like chav or something. It's a bit bullying IMO <leaves thread having mentioned the B word, will be laughed out of town>

Sigh. I'm feeling defensive here, but the point is that MN self-moderates. If enough people have an opinion on something, that becomes site wisdom. I actually can't think of any posters I'd hide. Plenty I vehemently disagree with, but why would I hide them? They have as much right to be a part of the conversation as I do.

WereTricksPotter Wed 10-Oct-12 13:54:34

Naaah, Wilf, I wouldn't give a frilly fuck if someone Hides me. Just shows I'm right and they can't bear it.

SeveredEdMcDunnough Wed 10-Oct-12 13:54:50

There is also the potential that a group of posters could have someone hidden, and that person might be unaware of this and enter a thread containing said group, and say something and be entirely ignored - it would be bullying by default wouldn't it?

I think Mumsnet is big enough for the hide poster option to be completely unremarkable - if you discovered you had been hidden by someone, you could always PM and ask them why - or, just shrug and get on with it, it's not such a big deal, there will be plenty of other people to engage with.

MissAnnersley Wed 10-Oct-12 13:55:44

I was so cross last night I would have been glad of a 'hide poster'. I was practically gibbering with rage. Logging in this morning I realize that it hadn't come across that way at all and I actually sounded calm and verging on the dull.

I am very glad I didn't have the option now as I did want to respond to the poster in question. I think what I'm saying is that sometimes it would be tempting to hide someone because you're angry and then not be able to respond properly.

Am quite sure that didn't make sense because I'm really just not sure what I think.

TheMightyRubester Wed 10-Oct-12 13:55:50

If I wanted likeminded people I would hang out with my RL friends.

I like my opinions to be challenged.

'When you find yourself on the side of the majority it is time to rethink and reflect'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now