Hide Poster (again!)

(353 Posts)
UltraBOF Wed 10-Oct-12 13:13:49

Hide me, hide me! grin

I think that it's time to revisit the arguments for this again: the site is much bigger and full of wankers than it used to be, and there is a lot of unnecessary conflict. Given that civilian moderators have been discounted, and that the community team's workload is practically Dickensian, don't you think that anything which will reduce personal attacks and thus the need for deletions would be a good thing?

I understand that Justine is worried that threads "won't make sense", but given that a) people mostly talk shite anyway and fly off-topic (eg Larkers in the face of Po-some OPs etc); and b) the hide button would be individually activated by choice and not compulsory, I don't think this argument really holds water.

There are many posters mature enough to never need to shield themselves from the profoundly irritating, and some folk are naturally imbued with a zen-like calm in the face of fucknuggetry, but for the rest of us, please please please give us the option to simply never have to read the posts of people we know invariably get on our last nerve.

I am convinced that spats will reduce; people will participate more widely and constructively in threads, instead of having to hide them once their nemesis appears; goading will become much less sustained; and the bill to MNHQ for gin at weekends will be slashed to pre-2005 levels.

What's not to like?

MrsDeVere Thu 01-Nov-12 15:11:22

The hide poster function is the only bit of Nuthunz that I miss.

I only used it a couple of times on there but it made life so much nicer.

I reserved it for people who would go on and on and on at me or ones who would pop up with deliberately inflammatory remarks. We have a few of those types at the moment. They will post 'all single mothers should have made better choices' or 'if you are disabled you should be grateful for what you get'

There is no point in debating, discussing or reasoning with them. They only do it to upset people.

Maryz Thu 01-Nov-12 15:19:07

Hully, you missed all the canibalism grin

No, I don't want to bash hq either. I think they are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

In fact, it was probably easier before they started to moderate at all, they just left us all to fight among ourselves. They are in the unenviable position of having to referee while we all squabble - rather like an under 8s football match grin.

Hullygully Thu 01-Nov-12 15:23:01

<gnashes teeth>

<twice>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now