Oh My Good Lord. You're doing random links from my posts!!!!!?!

(115 Posts)
EdMcDunnough Wed 03-Oct-12 20:53:21

I just wrote something about tyres here and it turned my word 'e b a y' into a LINK!?!

WTF? I didn't do that! Is this going to turn into one of those forums where every other word is a link to some shite you never wanted to advertise look at in the first place?

What is going on??????? shock

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 04-Oct-12 19:47:35

Thanks.

I appreciate the need to generate income. Keep the links but make them a different colour to those that posters add on purpose.

Everyone's a winner!

PropositionJoe Thu 04-Oct-12 13:25:49

Thank you.

Really though what were you thinking

ToothGah Thu 04-Oct-12 11:56:24

Great news, just hope the re-think is permanent!

JollyToddler Thu 04-Oct-12 11:39:41

Thanks smile

Tee2072 Thu 04-Oct-12 11:31:31

Cheers Justine! You DA BOM!

::really can't pull off things like that and should stick to English::

MaryZed Thu 04-Oct-12 11:26:34

That's great Justine.

I admire your wish to make money out of the site (and letting us use it for free) and I know it probably seems to you that we whinge at every little change, but this obviously was a bigger matter than you first recognised, so I for one really appreciate the fact that you are looking at it.

smile

Thumbwitch Thu 04-Oct-12 11:25:35

Phew!

EdMcDunnough Thu 04-Oct-12 11:18:36

Ho yess smilesmile

Justine, that is SO good to hear. Thankyou.

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 04-Oct-12 10:59:54

Hi all,
There's another thread which I posted on here discussing this.

Clearly you're not happy! And there's a problem with it, if folks think it's malware so we'll take it off for now and have a re-think about it.

Thanks for all the input.

Guillible Babylon signing up for duty......

SnotandBothered Thu 04-Oct-12 10:39:21

blush

<gets off high horse>

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Thu 04-Oct-12 10:38:17

Sorry Fire blush I knew someone would fall for that.

Snot - I think that one was a joke wink

SnotandBothered Thu 04-Oct-12 10:28:57

Have just done the hover over the coke thing shock

HQ this is crap - not even linking to 'official' sites - just random, inappropriate shite - you can't really endorse this???? confused

Not sure this is working as intended for MNHQ - has anyone hovered over bigfat's coke hyperlink? Alas, it is not to the drinks company wink

atacareercrossroads Thu 04-Oct-12 10:08:12

I've just spent ages checking for malware. This is beyond shit mnhq sad

PropositionJoe Thu 04-Oct-12 09:58:05

This is nasty. If you insist on doing it, mnhq, I think you owe it to us to make it clear exactly what will link and what will not. A list like the list of acronyms, so those who do not want their words turned into product endorsements can avoid it.

In the meantime I will just mistype everything. I'm guessing twatrose won't convert, but you all know where I mean (which is actually quite unhelpful to that brand, as I actually support them and get all my groceries there but you have forced me to refer to them in disparaging terms to avoid your new form of shite).

Likewise I never use the c word on here or irl, but I will say cuntingsainsburys on here just to avoid you linking from my posts.

HTH

Ha! God, I'm always linking shite on 'ere. Must have made millions for MN - my invoice is in the post grin

GolfOscarLimaDelta Wed 03-Oct-12 22:49:40

Personally I must generate lots of income when on my phone.

I'm constantly scrolling to the bottom of the thread and hitting the adverts on there!

I just hate how it's using us chatting to generate income for companies we may not want to promote ourselves sad

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Wed 03-Oct-12 22:41:37
kekouan Wed 03-Oct-12 22:41:19

and feck orf with yer hmm Mintyy.

kekouan Wed 03-Oct-12 22:40:30

But... surely when there are links on here (to amazon, for example) MNHQ get a kickback? I know I did when I had amazon links on my site? confused

I must have posted a thousand links to amazon over the years... must have generated oooh... £6? grin

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 03-Oct-12 22:40:09

Weird, all links off. Though my phone wants to write Biden - guess it supports Obama.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 03-Oct-12 22:39:15

Boden

eBay

Amazon

Mintyy Wed 03-Oct-12 22:38:18

Because automatic linking to a site or brand looks like you as an individual is endorsing that brand. WHAT is the problem in understanding that? Would have thought it would be perfectly obvious hmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now