A level maths book for self-teaching

(15 Posts)

Oops.
www.furthermaths.org.uk/onlinerevision.php
(The php bit was missing - sorry!)

http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/onlinerevision.php
is the website (FM support programme, not network - sorry!)

The Further Maths Support Network has online revision lectures for all (or at least most of) the A level maths modules, listed by exam board. I don't think you have to be a member of a school who's signed up with them to watch the lectures.

mattiemattiematt Wed 20-Mar-13 21:11:06

nrich.maths.org/frontpage

Above is a site which might be useful. Thanks, OP, for starting this thread - there are some v good suggestions.

I don't know if TheStudentRoom website, which is similar to Mumsnet in lots of ways, might also be of use:

www.thestudentroom.co.uk/

CURIOUSMIND Wed 20-Mar-13 21:05:42

Thank you Noble and Addictive. I got your kind suggestion.

Noble, send you a PM for your first question.

mnistooaddictive Wed 20-Mar-13 16:27:32

My favourite alevel maths resources are mep. They are all free on the website
www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/ and there is some interactive transition from GCSE to ALevel stuff there too.
I echo noblegiraffe that i use youtube clips if i am struggling with a new topic.

noblegiraffe Wed 20-Mar-13 11:14:36

What are you teaching yourself for?

If I need to teach myself a new topic, (maths teacher), I would use the textbooks mentioned and if I needed more input, use the internet. There are so many resources available for free online - notes and explanations aimed at sixth formers or above and videos on YouTube and the Khan Academy - that I think are more comprehensive than any single textbook could be.

CURIOUSMIND Tue 19-Mar-13 23:36:57

Thank you mattie, it's very kind of you.

mattiemattiematt Tue 19-Mar-13 23:15:59

I'll come back to this thread with some ideas...

CURIOUSMIND Tue 19-Mar-13 23:12:03

Thank you for all your kind input.
But I am still not sure these books from any exam board are suitable for 100% self-teaching? I need books can explain things deeply, not just show you how to work out the questions.
Still not sure what's suitable.

mrsXsweet Tue 19-Mar-13 12:24:42

I was going to recommend the same ones as noblegiraffe. I really like them and the examples are good.

keepcalmandparty Mon 18-Mar-13 16:30:05

I'd think you'd be best getting the individual module ones (C1, C2, etc). These: www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-Level-Modular-Mathematics/dp/0435519107/ref=pd_cp_b_0 are very good and up to date are what my school used for teaching, and they have lots of questions and exercises for practice.

noblegiraffe Mon 18-Mar-13 14:54:37

My school uses this for AS core and the associated one for A2. I think they're pretty good, plenty of examples, answers in the back, and a CD with extra questions.

If you're not studying for exam purposes then it probably won't make a difference, but be aware that different exam boards have different topics on their modules so textbooks will cover slightly different things.

Have you got a child at school with a mymaths login that you could use? Mymaths has excellent interactive lessons and worksheets on all core modules and the initial applied modules.

professorpoopsnagle Mon 18-Mar-13 14:47:30

Check out ebay, search for c1 c2 maths and c3 c4 maths as basic maths books. I have found the C1/2 by Peter Hind a good start (edexcel) but have a slightly different one for C3/4. There are also decision modules available for A level. L Bostock and S. Chandler also do a good basic book, often availble for a few pounds second hand.

CURIOUSMIND Fri 15-Mar-13 22:15:22

Because it's for self-teaching, (not for exact exam purpose)so those revision books are not quite suitable.I got:

Understanding Pure Mathematics, A. J. Sadler, D. W. S. Thorning
Understanding Mechanics , A. J. Sadler, D. W. S. Thorning

I will get statistics.

What else I missed?

Thank you in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now