Got maths GCSE grade A struggling at AS maths now told it's normal

(30 Posts)
ddsmellysocks Fri 01-Feb-13 14:54:30

How can this be - is maths really that hard. Teachers say there is a big jump for all A levels why is this? Is it not proof that not everyone should be having to stay in full time education if only there were jobs out their?

NewFerry Sun 03-Feb-13 14:56:42

Clouds away - sorry I can't remember exactly which book it was, but it was certainly similar to the cgp one circular is recommending.
I will ask DS if he can remember, and update if its anything different.

socharlotte Sun 03-Feb-13 18:49:23

Have a look on youtube at Khan Academy.The guy who makes these vids is an excellent teacher.

I think it is very different to GCSE
The opposite side of the coin is My DS1 isn't natutrally numerate .He can't do mental arithmatic to save his life.he managed an A at GCSE, but has found a level maths much more to his taste and copes with and enjoys it much better than GCSE.He is hoping for an A* which he needs to get into the uni of his choice.

NewFerry Sun 03-Feb-13 20:39:45

Update for cloudsaway, checked with DS. It s the same book grin

WorriedTeenMum Sun 03-Feb-13 21:43:44

My DD also used the Headstart book in other subjects as well as Maths and found them very helpful.

Something also to consider is if there is a difference between the exam boards. DD changed schools for A levels and found that other students had covered things at GCSE which she had not. Hard work has overcome that. On the other hand she did a statistics GCSE which other hadnt and this is helping in other areas.

Maths isnt just building, there are also leaps of comprehension. Once you have left counting behind then each step is a leap of comprehension.

exoticfruits Sun 03-Feb-13 21:54:14

There is a huge leap - DS started to do AS in Maths but changed after the first few lessons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now