Anyone's ds taking the 10+/11+ at Whitgift on Thursday 10th Jan 2013? Sign in here!

(23 Posts)
FatalFlowerGarden Thu 20-Dec-12 10:26:31

Have just received the info about timings and rooms etc - plus the all-important bright yellow card to put in the windscreen of the car!

Ds will be very excited about lunch being provided - when we went to the open day he was v impressed with the food available :priorities: grin

Thankfully there's not too much pressure this year as ds is taking the 10+ as a bit of a trial run - if he does well then great but I figure we'll have another crack at it next year too. But it's still nerve wracking - more so for me though I reckon - ds said yesterday that he 'couldn't wait' to take the exam!!

Would be great to hear from anyone who's going to be there on the 10th though - good luck to all dses!

Shaded Sat 22-Dec-12 11:07:37

My DS is doing the 10+ at CLSB. My reasons are similar to yours, less pressure and another chance next year if necessary. Good luck

FatalFlowerGarden Sun 23-Dec-12 11:19:00

Good luck to your ds too, Shaded! Was starting think I was the only one wink

FatalFlowerGarden Thu 10-Jan-13 07:44:17

Shameless bump grin

Ds is sitting eating his 3 weetabix and watching cartoons - not fazed at all.

I, on the other hand, am panicking that the car is going to break down between here and W...

basildonbond Thu 10-Jan-13 20:54:28

hope it went well and the peacocks didn't put your ds off!

Shaded Fri 11-Jan-13 06:16:05

Fatal, trust it went well. Ours is on Monday, cant wait to get it over with.

Cardi23 Fri 11-Jan-13 12:45:19

Just found your post. My DS took 10+ at W yesterday. Not sure how it went... He enjoyed the lunch and made lots of friends but not much info back about the exams! Do you know how long we have to wait to hear about interviews? Don't know if my nails will last...

Marbleslonggone Fri 11-Jan-13 14:06:14

LAst year we had a phone call on the Saturday regarding interview the following week. Some people heard later. There are theories that a quick call is significant but I really don't believe that because friends who got offers (and scholarships) heard much later than us. Good luck with it all - feeling relieved that I'm not going through this again! Nails only just recovered! Good luck to your DS's - My DS is so happy at W - he has a long journey and has been tired but in his own words "its really worth it Mum". Fingers crossed for you all!

changejustforyou Fri 11-Jan-13 14:37:47

dd sitting 10+ exam tomorrow, guess who is more nervous about it..dd is quite happy as she has been told by dc1 there will be hot chocolate and biscuits....

FatalFlowerGarden Fri 11-Jan-13 17:06:30

Cardi - loads of luck to your ds! I've also heard about early phone calls but I think it's just because they mark a load of papers quickly to get the ball rolling. Fingers crossed to hear sooner rather than later though!

My ds was the same, not much info forthcoming smile He thought his lunch of southern fried chicken and choc mousse was great though! About the only thing I could glean from him was that he enjoyed the English but didn't quite finish the maths...

I feel far more stressed about it than I thought I would. unfortunately we'll be unable to take up any offer without a substantial bursary so even if he passes well its all dependent on that...

FatalFlowerGarden Fri 11-Jan-13 17:08:41

And good luck shaded and change btw!

it really is nerve jangling stuff. if we have to go through it all again next year I think I may have a minor breakdown ;)

Cardi23 Fri 11-Jan-13 20:12:11

Don't think my Ds finished any of the exams. He said they were all fine apart from the hard questions and he just missed those ones out.... My heart sank as he couldn't remember quite how many of those there were! It is totally different to when my DS1 and DD1 were sitting 11+they were so much more mature. Maybe I'll get it right for DD2.

FatalFlowerGarden Fri 11-Jan-13 20:18:48

Tbh cardi I think ds is too young atm as well. He looked soooo tiny being led into Big School by a prefect!

He is bright and pretty confident but maybe not quite ready for secondary school yet - he'll only be 10y 2m next Sept and it just seems so young to be in that environment, fabulous though it is.

I'm pretty prepared for him not to get an offer this year. Am really trying to view it as good preparation for next year and not to invest too much into it this time around. But it's very hard not to be seduced by the place...

basildonbond the peacocks were out in force at open day and ds was most impressed grin

therugratref Fri 11-Jan-13 20:30:26

Hello all. My Ds sat the 10+ on Thursday. He had more to say about the ribs and choc mousse he had for lunch than the actual tests. Maths was voted very easy( never a good sign) English impossible. We will see grin

Shaded Mon 14-Jan-13 09:21:58

Our turn today at CLSB. My heart is in that exam hall and he looks too young. Anyway at least the first stage ends today.

My DS was there too, Shaded - how did yours say he got on?

Shaded Mon 14-Jan-13 22:33:03

Mine was more focused on what he ate. Only thing I got from him was that he was time pressured on the VR; but my DS lives in a cloud anyway. Just glad it is over. Good luck.

Also can't quite believe it's over. Wandering around this morning thinking what do we do now, although I know it probably starts again in a couple of weeks!

My DS was very impressed with the kitkats, but didn't eat a single mouthful at lunchtime. He's far too silly to go to big school!

DS also didn't finish the VR but somehow had time to check.

Somelikeithott Tue 15-Jan-13 08:50:57

Lol everyone! My DS sat T & W as well and he had a lot more to say about the food ( especially at W), than the exam. He enjoyed Tintin at the start and the arts & craft session during the break session at T.

What are they like? Don't they know we want a question by question account of how they did in the actual exam.😛

Shaded Tue 15-Jan-13 09:56:56

Mine gave such good description of the shepherds pie he had for lunch that I hoped his essay was on shepherd's pie. Dreading the wait, I am not sure CLSB do early calls (any views) and mentally preparing to tackle the exams next year at 11+.

Somelikeithott Tue 15-Jan-13 11:19:46

Sorry shaded, I don't know about CLSB. Maybe start a thread, I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who can answer your question.

You made me chuckle re: shepherds pie. Hmmmm, given me food for thought, i can't remember if the creative writing papers were before or after lunch at T & W. hopefully my DS hasn't written about his lunch, instead of answering the questions asked. Shock, horror!!

burntoutdad Tue 15-Jan-13 11:51:14

My Ds decided to write a random story as he didn't like the subject matter they had asked him to write about! Called school (W) in a panic and was reassured that they would still read and mark it as they can at least tell from this how he writes. Although obviously he wouldn't get full marks (as if!).

Somelikeithott Tue 15-Jan-13 12:42:45

Funny burntout! My DS often did that with creative writing at school. Write on what he preferred rather than answer the questions, hence my musing above.

He didn't offer any real information on the exams at either school, except really that the creative writing at W, involved a nightmare, photo and diary or something to that effect. DH & I have resisted the urge to question him any further.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now