Greenwich Free School

(9 Posts)
Eggs Mon 08-Oct-12 21:45:57

I went to look at this on Saturday and was really impressed by it, however as it is only 4 weeks up and running and currently only located in 4 portacabins there was not much to see. Just wondering if anyone had their children there and how are they finding it? Also am I mad to consider a totally new school with no track record? Any advice would be well received.

RoyalGreenwichResident Tue 09-Oct-12 14:23:43

May I draw your attention to this link
www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=27641
GFS is on twitter as @greenwich_fs btw
They tweeted this morning that they have had 500 people visit their open days in the last week.
Do bear in mind that like Harris, they are VERY strict on uniform and school rules ( mobile phones banned, including to and from home ). Their pupils look immaculate when travelling on local buses etc
I personally know three sets of parents who have sons in the first cohort. They are over the moon with the education, including the broad enrichment opportunities, their children are receiving.
The new build that will open in Sept 2013 looks terrific, and what a beautiful site they have backing on to Woolwich Common.
A great asset to the Royal Borough, this school, imho !

Leaveitbabe Tue 09-Oct-12 16:00:26

We are very interested in the school but suspect it will be very oversubscribed this year. They have had to put on extra open events due to its popularity. Of course it does not mean everyone will put it on their list but I feel pessimistic about our chances. Having said that most of the Greenwich secondary schools appear to be on the up.

Steenate Wed 10-Oct-12 16:35:04

My son is at GFS and so far we can't say enough positive things about it. He loves the structure (having come from a primary school where there was no uniform and they called all the teachers by their first names) and comes home every night enthusiastic about the day he's had. This is a minor miracle as he is a typical boy who would much rather be skateboarding than learning, but the lessons are very creative and the message seems to be getting through!
As a parent I have to say I welcome the strict policies they have in place and I absolutely love the fact that the classes are no bigger than 25 and only 4 classes per year. Also (and this is not to be underestimated) there is NO HOMEWORK! They have a very long day but when they leave school they know their day is done and can come home and do whatever they want (which makes family life much easier as there are no arguments!). And therefore weekends are also free for family time.
If you have any specific questions about the school I'll be happy to answer them grin)

Eggs Wed 10-Oct-12 23:22:06

Thanks so much for all the comments. I had heard there there a lot more boys than girls in the classes, Stennte maybe you could confirm? Also is there enough sporting activities?

Steenate Thu 11-Oct-12 07:54:49

They have a session of games (outdoor PE) and PE every week and there are also several sporty clubs. My son does rugby. So plenty of sports!
This year there are more boys because there are more boys in general in the borough. Just going by primary school I think there are more girls, generally speaking, in the current year 6 so hopefully it will all even out.

clairesp1 Thu 11-Oct-12 09:03:15

Dear Eggs,

My son was unfortunate to miss out on his 1st ,2nd ,3rd choice in the bexley borough (we live in bexley) and was offered a place in another school in Greenwich, which he hated, despite the huge sports facilities offered.

We were lucky enough to hear about GFS just at the right time and managed to get him a place in the school.

It was the best thing that could have happened to him, my son comes home happy, keen to tell me what he has learned (which never happened in primary school!). Yes the school are very disciplined, but that can only be a good thing - how many other 11 year old boys want to get up 10 minutes earlier in the morning just to give themselves enough time to get to school to avoid detention?

I totally agree with everything that Steenate has said.

4under8 Thu 11-Oct-12 17:47:10

I'm considering it for my eldest and am worried about it being over-subscribed as the open days have been heaving. I'm praying that most will be put off by the longer working day and strict rules which suit me/my son down to the ground!

mumdotcom Sat 20-Oct-12 23:12:57

My son goes to gfs & he loves it. It has taken him awhile to adjust to the long hours but he has adjusted to it now. He can't wait to tell me all the exciting stuff he has done at school, the minute he walks through the front door & tells me about all the nice children in the school & nice teachers ect: I am really happy my son is settled & happy there. The teachers are excellent especially the head Mr Faith, he is so approachable like all the rest of the teachers in gfs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now