Anyone in the Kent/Bromley/Dartford borders who can explain the school application system to me?

(23 Posts)

Second what someone said earlier up thread, last year no out of area girls got in, in fact, girls from "the parishes" didn't all get in (the parishes of Dartford). Wilmington Girls is much easier to get into, and they have girls from Bromley, Lewisham etc and even Essex.

From kent website

r in area girls and 414 for out of area. Dartford Grammar School for Girls also takes high scorers after local girls have been offered places and this year the cut off score has jumped to 413 from 404. This has allowed 42 out of county girls through, nearly all from Bexley, Bromley and Lewisham.

pippibluestocking Thu 04-Oct-12 23:04:16

No Wilmington is not oversubscribed, they didn't fill all their spaces last year

OwedToAutumn Thu 04-Oct-12 22:59:31

Dartford Girls is not super selective. Dartford (boys) is.

This last year, apparently no out of area girls got places at Dartford. Even if they scored full marks on the test.

Newstead have now changed their system so that you find out the score, and what score you would've needed in the last 5 years to get in. But this is the first year that has happened.

The Newstead test is verbal and non verbal reasoning. Kent has these two, and also maths and English, but in practise, they only look at the English test if you are borderllne, and if you are out of area, borderline won't get you into a school, anyway.

Bexley have verbal and maths (I think it's just those two. DD1 didn't sit that, because we didn't want to her to go to any of the Bexley Grammars.)

Wilmington suffers from being close to the more popular Dartford, I think. It's much easier to get in to, apparently. In the year DD1 sat, the admissions person implied that as she had passed the Kent test, irrespective of score, she would get a place, although we are well out of area. That was a couple of years ago, it could be more oversubscribed now.

Did you know that twggs have 20 governor places that are not catchment? I don't know whether that might be a possibility.
It is done on score, pretty much all 420 last year, but if you think it is commutable, it could be worth looking in to?

SoddingGrammarSystem Thu 04-Oct-12 22:34:43

Yes, we are very unlikely to get dd a place in weald of kent as we are just outside their catchment area.

sodding did you see what I posted about Weald? I just wanted to check if it was Tonbridge? It is catchment only.
Good luck with it all.

SoddingGrammarSystem Thu 04-Oct-12 22:29:36

Yes there are. Unfortunately we aren't in the catchment area for any of them sad

pippibluestocking Thu 04-Oct-12 22:26:31

You don't need to join the system SGS, there are lots of good comps in Bromley!

SoddingGrammarSystem Thu 04-Oct-12 20:00:11

LOL! no, she's year 5. We wanted to find out a bit of info now, because of where we are, we have a lot of schools to look around.
Can't believe we have to narrow it down to four in such a big area.
I think if dd does the newstead test we also find out her score for that before we fill out the form? It is a long shot though, we're not relying on it.

I really hate this system.

LondonMother Thu 04-Oct-12 19:52:47

No, one form for the lot. Some schools ask you to complete an additional form if they want more information than they get from the common application form. You have to send that to them directly.

If your daughter is in year 6 now it sounds as if you've missed the boat for Newstead Woods and the Bexley schools.

Good luck!

SoddingGrammarSystem Thu 04-Oct-12 18:29:51

<wibble> i'm still a bit confused. So one form for Kent and Bromley schools and a different one for bexley schools. Is that right?

Currently the super-selectives are: Dartford Grammar School; The Judd School (Tonbridge); Maidstone Grammar School; & The Skinners School (Tunbridge Wells) - all for boys; and Tonbridge Grammar School (for girls).

That is from kent advice schools website.

There are super selectives in kent, my ds attends one of them.

wineoclocktimeyet Thu 04-Oct-12 13:42:58

Dartford Grammar isnt superselective - its one of the Kent Grammar schools.
If you live in Bromley, you need to register your child to take the Kent 11+ and Bexley 11+ and also to Newstead. This year, this had to be done in about May.

The exams were last month and the results are due in the next few weeks. You know whether your child has passed before the Common Application Form has to be in by 31st Oct.

In Bromley, you put your choices on the Bromley form.

The relevant websites (Kent CC, Bexley Council etc) explain alot better than I have!

Good Luck!

Yes, Dartford is superselective too.

? Weald in Tonbridge, that is catchment only. TOGS is selective on score.
You wouldn't get into Weald if you are that far out.

prh47bridge Thu 04-Oct-12 00:59:58

As you live in Bromley you must apply to Bromley for all the schools you want. If you include any Kent schools as preferences they will forward your application to Kent.

pippibluestocking Wed 03-Oct-12 22:55:05

Think score comes into it too somehow but definitely has some distance criteria as well

pippibluestocking Wed 03-Oct-12 22:52:59

No it's not. What's TOG?

SoddingGrammarSystem Wed 03-Oct-12 22:46:05

Lol, beat! I thought dartford was a super selective like Togs or Judd and so it was score that got you on? Maybe I have that wrong. Clearly I am not clever enough to go as I couldn't find the info on their website when I looked a while ago grin I did email them to ask but didn't get a reply hmm

pippibluestocking Wed 03-Oct-12 22:18:01

Er beat? I mean near!

pippibluestocking Wed 03-Oct-12 22:17:09

Hi SGS
not a complete expert but do know that it's a separate test for Bexley schools and I think that you have to live quite beat to Dartford Girls to get in, catchment area for Wilmington is much bigger. HTH!

SoddingGrammarSystem Wed 03-Oct-12 19:21:11

We are on the borders of both areas (kent and bromley) so our choices are (for dd)

Togs
Weald
Dartford girls
Wilmington

Newstead woods (don't think this is likely)

We live equal distance from Dartford and Togs but live in Bromley borough.

Do we have to put all our choices on one form or are there separate Kent and Bromley ones?

If dd sits the 11+ at her school (which is a Kent (not Bromley) school) - will that cover her for Bexley too?

<brain explodes>

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now