Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

If you have Young kids, what do you wear to bed?!

(89 Posts)
Insecure24 Sat 02-Feb-13 06:58:24

My dd is 2.8 and whilst a good sleeper generally, she does wake up now and again. Either she'll call me from her room or just appear next to our bed. Feel awkward to sleep naked incase she walks in but also feel bad for dp cuddling his mrs in jammies and (at the moment) stubbly legs!

I sleep naked. I have pj's for the time between having a bath and going to bed cos it would seem odd to put clothes back on after a bath. Dh tends to wear short pj bottoms.

I feel the cold easily but hate the feeling of pj's getting tangled and can't sleep in them. We have a duvet, quilt (as in handmade one) and a crocheted blanket over our bed. In winter I sometimes have a hot water bottle too. We never have the heating on overnight.

forevergreek Fri 08-Mar-13 10:15:30

Just pants for both of us.

Have pjs but wear them around the house on lazy days/ after shower etc. would feel suffocated to wear in bed

We have a 15 tog duvet and a fur throw though so it isn't cold ( also have a heated house)

DH and I both sleep naked, but have PJs on standby for bathroom trips etc - only because we have his children (my stepchildren) over a lot and they're a lot older.

But as for my DC, couldn't care less if they see me naked as I don't want them to have any unusual ideas about naked bodies or what they should look like, or feel ashamed of them... Who cares?

firesidechat Fri 08-Mar-13 07:36:58

I'm truly amazed at the naked sleepers! Everyone I know wears pj's! Well they buy them, get them for Xmas! Maybe they just wear them downstairs and take em off for bed?

I love lounging around in my pyjamas and sometimes wear them all day if I'm not going anywhere. Never ever wear them in bed though because I would get too hot and uncomfortable.

I would say that nudity around children is a healthy thing, but husband stopped doing it when they were quite young (we have daughters). They will soon let you know when it bothers them.

Nagoo Thu 07-Mar-13 22:29:50

Nothing.

I have a warm dressing gown if I have to get up, purely for temperature issues!

DH most affronted when I wear pyjamas. Knickers on is code for 'Fuck off you nobend' grin

TheYamiOfYawn Thu 07-Mar-13 22:26:14

At the moment, pyjamas, wooly socks and a cardigan, while clutching a hot water bottle. I sleep naked if the weather is warm.

sleepyhead Thu 07-Mar-13 22:19:33

ribeno, there's probably more chance of the child peeing in the bed tbh.

I do have a bit of a weird thing about fires though, so get paranoid about sleeping naked and having to escape in the night <weirdo>
Still do it though.

weird paranoia not helped by DHs lack of fire safety awareness

Not at all bothered with the DSs seeing me naked, though they are only little at the mo anyway, but right now am wearing pjs as its rather nippy! Though trying to spread out DS2s night feeds so I'd keep a bra on if nothing else - or he'd be attached all night! DH is on nights tonight, if but if he was here it might be warm enough to wear slightly less

Saltpig Thu 07-Mar-13 21:10:59

Nowt under a duvet and two rag doll cats on top. Enuff already!!!!!!!

ribeno Thu 07-Mar-13 11:54:02

uum, please dont shoot me down for this but do you change your sheets before your children sleep in your bed? What if they wake up in the middle of the night say after you have "done the deed"? You know, there may be some traces of whatever... Sorry, genuine question that Im worried about as at the moment I have a baby who will stay in their sleeping bag on top of our duvet. not that we really have a lurve life, lol!

EmmaThorn Thu 07-Mar-13 09:49:46

I wear cotton PJs in winter and just knickers or nothing at all in the summer!
I'm strongly in camp that feels there's nothing to be embarrassed about nudity, and it gives kids a healthy body image. Not that I have the body to go flaunting it!! But I sleep in whatever I'm comfortable for a good nights sleep - that's most important thing for me! :-)

Shodan Sun 03-Feb-13 21:43:51

A long silk or satin nightgown with matching robe tossed casually over the foot of the bed. Also heeled mules with fluffy feathers on for tripping lightly from room to room.

I thought everyone wore similar?

not really, just a short t-shirt nightie type thing. Don't want to give pore ol' DH ideas

we are in Scotland and have the heating off overnight but I still sleep naked as its cosy under the duvet. Also have dh to keep me warm (also naked!)

JoyceDivision Sun 03-Feb-13 21:19:59

Dh doesn't wear jim jams, often I don't, however I think he will start to do so since dd (6) cheerfully told him he has 'got really big hairy boobies' grin

5madthings Sun 03-Feb-13 21:02:59

We don't have the heating on overnight but I have a duvet and that keeps me warm.

PretzelTime Sun 03-Feb-13 18:03:47

jammies and (at the moment) stubbly legs
I assume this what your dp is wearing also? Unless he is comfy with being nude unlike you?

Just wear (or don't wear anything) what is the most comfortable for you.

DontmindifIdo Sun 03-Feb-13 17:08:44

Jimjams - but then our house is very cold, and I'm not running the heating overnight.

chroniclackofimagination Sun 03-Feb-13 16:52:41

Both my parents walked around naked if they were changing or showering and I never thought anything of it. I had a Finish friend who's parents would quite happily sit naked reading the paper even if her friends were there (grew up in tropical country, it was hot).They'd just look up, nod and go back to whatever they were doing.

TheSecondComing Sun 03-Feb-13 16:49:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

binkybonk Sun 03-Feb-13 16:47:36

Seriously? This many naked?!! I don't live in the UK anymore (it's v hot where I am and your birthday suit and a sheet will sufficegrin) but when I did my heating bill would've been massive if I'd slept naked! It's not got a thing to do with prudery or getting jiggy, it's purely a warmth thing- isn't it?! And if your houses are warm enough for nudity in Feb then your carbon footprint must be massive wink
My parents and siblings were always in and out of bedrooms/ bathrooms as necessary and same now with DH and DS but it's never been consciously thought of by me... Until now! don't think what I do or don't wear in bed will affect DS too much
When I visited the UK last summer I slept in multiple layers culminating in a huge fleece borrowed from my sister. It was Baltic. It was July.
I must have some cold blood in my veins

trixymalixy Sun 03-Feb-13 11:43:54

Nothing

TrinityRhino Sun 03-Feb-13 11:42:24

but jammies are lovely to wear when you first get up or in the evening
so I wear mine loads but not in bed unless I'm feeling unwell and cant get warm or when it really is baltic

nurseneedshelp Sun 03-Feb-13 09:49:04

Naked in this house too! I couldn't sleep with anything on and the windows need to be open too!
My kids are used to it......

carmenelectra Sun 03-Feb-13 09:38:35

I'm truly amazed at the naked sleepers! Everyone I know wears pj's! Well they buy them, get them for Xmas! Maybe they just wear them downstairs and take em off for bed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now