Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

If you have Young kids, what do you wear to bed?!

(89 Posts)
Insecure24 Sat 02-Feb-13 06:58:24

My dd is 2.8 and whilst a good sleeper generally, she does wake up now and again. Either she'll call me from her room or just appear next to our bed. Feel awkward to sleep naked incase she walks in but also feel bad for dp cuddling his mrs in jammies and (at the moment) stubbly legs!

Shybairns Sat 02-Feb-13 17:05:50

I'm amazed at all the naked sleepers!

Why would you feel awkward to be naked in front of your two year old daughter?

She came out of that body of yours.

ChestyLeRoux Sat 02-Feb-13 17:16:32

I sleep naked to,also bf wherever so usually have a boob out.

hugoagogo Sat 02-Feb-13 17:17:25

Me tooshy

I wear jammies all year round, not because of the dc, but because I really feel the cold. This time of year I wear a vest underneath and thick socks too.

lottie63 Sat 02-Feb-13 17:23:05

Naked here too. Me, dh and dd all walk around house in morning naked or half dressed as well. Tbh, I think it's good for kids to see what normal adult bodies look like. My 11 yr old dd is also so much more at ease at seeing her own body start to change and is more relaxed about developing breasts and pubic hair than she might have been. We've always slept naked. The kids do too apart from sleepovers with friends.

Nooneelseisallowedafergus Sat 02-Feb-13 18:43:54

Wow, I am also surprised at so many naked sleepers. I wear a vest top and knickers in bed always have, although cannot stand pj bottoms which ruck up and annoy me. I would feel cold and exposed being naked. and I am up and down with the children at least 3 times a night!

sheeplikessleep Sat 02-Feb-13 19:13:07

Either jim jams or vest and pants.
Too cold otherwise.
DH knows his luck is in if he comes up to bed and I'm naked wink

sheeplikessleep Sat 02-Feb-13 19:15:25

I quite happily walk around naked after a shower or whatever, when I'm getting ready.

I do wonder at what age do boys get bothered about this? I'm guessing I'm going to need to be more discrete about this in a few years?

brainonastick Sat 02-Feb-13 19:15:42

Don't be daft smile. She's your baby, it doesn't matter what you wear or don't wear. It's also a good way of teaching her to be comfortable with her own body (and what happens to bodies when you grow up).

ilovepowerhoop Sat 02-Feb-13 19:16:21

we both sleep naked - dd is 9 and ds is 6. DS also prone to sleeping naked especially in the summer. We have dressing gowns hanging on the bedroom door if we need to go to the kids in the night

MarshaBrady Sat 02-Feb-13 19:17:38

I wear pyjamas. The french doors don't have curtains (no one can see in) and it gets pretty cold. Which I like, but I need pjs.

sparklyjumper Sat 02-Feb-13 19:28:34

I've been wondering about this myself, I usually sleep with nothing and ds sometimes gets in my bed, he also wonders in and out the bathroom. I've started sending him away now when I'm trying to go to the toilet and he's hanging around! He's 4 but he doesn't seem bothered or aware, he prefers sleeping with nothing on too.

At 2.8 I really wouldn't worry yet though.

I had similar issues, so now wear a silky "slip" type nighty; covers your bits but still feels lovely and isn't too hot. DH seems to quite like it too grin

CarlingBlackMabel Sat 02-Feb-13 19:35:22

I've always slept naked and have never thought twice about DC knowing that, getting into bed etc.
No issue.

pnin Sat 02-Feb-13 19:37:07

Given I've co slept and fed til past three I'm not bothered by nudity, but I do wear silk jamas and a bra as half my body is out of the bed and I can't bear the interminable nipple twiddling

bluemintygel Sat 02-Feb-13 19:43:21

Surely this is a non issue? Little children aren't generally bothered by nudity.

Ragwort Sat 02-Feb-13 19:50:10

Wear what YOU want, or wear nothing if that's what you prefer. As others have said, dress for yourself not your child or DH.

I always wear pyjamas, I like them, they are cosy & I feel comfortable. I am sure DH would prefer me to be naked but I wouldn't be comfortable with that, have never slept naked in my life wink - even on honeymoon I had a silk nightdress, very glam grin.

pepperrabbit Sat 02-Feb-13 19:51:42

My lot wander in and out of the bathroom when either of us are showering, even if it's silent and all is well as soon as I turn the water on WW3 breaks out hmm
But just last week the 2 boys were in the bathroom and I was telling them off for being mean to their sister and DS1 spent the whole time staring at my nipples. It made me a bit uncomfortable tbh, so I may be a little more circumspect in future. They are 8/6/4.
Mind you they were prefectly happy in Boots earlier "helping" me choose some tampax... "why don't you try these Mummy" brandishing the maxi jumbo pads.

wearymum200 Sat 02-Feb-13 19:52:39

Warm pjs and bedsocks, with slippers and a sort of full length fleecy thing to fling on if I have to get upto a dc in the night. I am far to chilly to think of sleeping naked. Brrrr.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lapsedorienteerer Sat 02-Feb-13 19:54:11

Nothing when DS was young, PJs now he's 10

WakeyCakey Sat 02-Feb-13 19:55:30

Don't have young children but have DSD 12 who sleeps, just like myself and DP in just pants.
She hates PJs and is constantly walking round in pants. She's walked in and chatted to me whilst I was in the bath plenty on times.
DP and I always put a dressing gown on before leaving the bedroom though

sarahtigh Sat 02-Feb-13 20:36:43

I sleep naked but just grab dressing gown if need to get up at night as its a bit cold naked for young children it does not matter, with teenagers it maybe different but they should not be just walking into your bedroom anyhow

Pilgit Sat 02-Feb-13 21:56:16

Chanel no 5 and a winning smile.....! PJ's always to hand so don't have to feed 8wk old DD in the nuddy (and get fripples....)

hopenglory Sat 02-Feb-13 22:02:05

Nothing, if I have to get out of bed I can put my dressing gown on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now