Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

those little romantic gestures- tell me...

(51 Posts)
cheesesarnie Sun 20-Jan-13 15:35:04

what you've done or someone's done to you recently smile

carlywurly Tue 22-Jan-13 20:02:02

Has phoned every single day since we first spoke on the phone 3 years ago- no matter where in the world he is. Texts every morning to say hello and every night if we're not together.

Gets up before me to bring me coffee in bed without ever being asked.

Makes up silly songs and endless pet names for me.

Is never unkind, not even in jest.

Is kind and affectionate with my boys.

Finds my high maintenance moments endearing grin

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 22-Jan-13 18:40:55

Thanks cheese, you've prompted me to text my DH who is a bloody marvel.

Him: gets the kids to get me flowers whenever they all go food shopping
Me: rearranged my whole day of meetings to go to his favourite shop for a birthday present.

susanann Tue 22-Jan-13 18:14:59

aw bless! enjoy!

cheesesarnie Tue 22-Jan-13 15:06:42

awwww i'm glad i asked!

sorry to those who feel sad after reading though! that wasnt intention!

ive just come out of a 13 year marriage and am 7 weeks in to a new (lovely) relationship. i think ive reverted to a 13 school girl with a crush grin.

sooooooooo dp (still can't get used to saying it!) cooked me a lovely dinner last night. all very well thought out as im veggie and hes not. he kept ringing to see if i could eat mushrooms and red onions!

2nd time here!

susanann Mon 21-Jan-13 14:44:06

This is such a lovely positive thread. Im loving it.

JuliaSqueezer Mon 21-Jan-13 13:55:20

Brings me breakfast in bed whenever he's on lates or has a day off

Puts books on my Kindle because he knows I love reading

Takes my car to the petrol station/ does all the maintenance on it

Always gets me something nice for birthday, Christmas, Valentine's etc and for wedding anniversaries he buys me the same flowers I carried in my wedding bouquet.

Has been known to put cash and a little note in my purse "Buy yourself something nice" if I'm off on a shopping trip

Currently being very supportive of my diet and is happy to eat the same food

First marriage for both of us so the second time round theory doesn't apply here, been together eighteen years smile

ihatethecold Mon 21-Jan-13 13:39:27

I have such a lovely DH. He has supported me through so many family problems. He always has time to listen to me.
Has dinner ready for me when I get in from work at the weekend.
Does the washing etc.
brings me a cup of tea every morning.
Always makes me feel good about myself.

I'd like to think I'm the same with himsmile

Astelia Mon 21-Jan-13 12:26:58

He did used to make me compilation tapes thirty years ago. Now I get chauffeured to the hairdressers as it is hard to park, and he picks me up when I am done. And I get nice Christmas presents.

We are not remotely lovey-dovey but I think we are kind and thoughtful to each other.

pepitoincognito Mon 21-Jan-13 11:43:18

hmm, last couple of days

DH wiped down the stairs and window sills unprompted (60 stairs - so you know, fairplay), went for a long walk with me in the snow on Sunday and took me out to dinner on Friday

I cooked him lots of lovely meals and washed up, picked up his drycleaning, made his lunch for work, hung out his underpants to dry and put them away, made him cups of tea. I was also pleasant to his brother who I don't think much of at all.

Not too romantic as such but you know, we try and appreciate each other daily.

lets

Doh!

Yup, second time around. Third for dp grin

I think he's learned a lot...

Interesting what poster above said about worrying and waiting for punishment. I can't believe what dp let's me get away with. When I say this to him he just looks nonplussed and says "But you haven't done anything wrong".

I can't believe how much shitty baggage my marriage has left me with. Hope stbx isn't as much of a mess, but sadly I imagine he is...

jessjessjess Mon 21-Jan-13 10:31:44

My DH went out in the snow yesterday to get me the Sunday papers. Which only I read.

He gets up and goes to work first, then rings me to say good morning.

Every relationship needs little kindnesses!

Mosschops30 Mon 21-Jan-13 08:29:26

namechange exactly!!!!
I feel taken for granted, not respected, not loved hmm don't get any of these things

namechangecity Mon 21-Jan-13 07:57:20

Wow how interesting that it looks like lots of these are second time rounds....! We all have to draw out own conclusions about what it say about each of us that don't get this now.

Aspiemum2 Mon 21-Jan-13 00:53:08

Kumquat, I know what you mean. Dh does tell me I say sorry a lot. He laughs and says "I'm not your dad, stop apologising". He knows the history and its his way of diffusing it and putting me at ease.

Aspiemum2 Mon 21-Jan-13 00:50:41

Dh gets up with the 1st twin to wake and at weekends gets them both to leave me sleeping. He wakes me about 9 with a hot cup of tea but has been known to leave me a lot later. He also empties the dishwasher before I get up.
He also defrosts the car for me, cooks and irons.
Yes this is a second relationship (can't say marriage as at least had the brains not to marry ea ex)

Much, much happier but I knew more about who I was and what I wanted. Exdp said all the right things at 1st but quickly changed whereas dh was just himself from day 1. No grand gestures no early declarations of love.

KumquatMae Mon 21-Jan-13 00:34:28

Funnily enough Moss, yes! Very much like LemonDrizzled, first time around I was with a man who talked the talk to start with, wrote me pages and pages of poetry, wanted to be with me forever etc...soon as I moved in with him he gave up on it and started controlling and abusing me.

I still sometimes have silly moments where I worry about something that ex would have punished me for, but my dp will laugh it off or talk it through with me. I know you can never predict the future perfectly but I'm as sure as I can be that dp will never mistreat me, and if he does I won't stand for it.

LemonDrizzled Mon 21-Jan-13 00:26:28

yes moss I was married for 26 years (divorce hearing on Tuesday) and my H was a selfish taker who let me run around after him. So I left.

Now I am with a lovely kind man who also had an unkind W who left him.

We are a "recycled couple" and we are in a state of unmarried bliss at how nice it is to be with someone who cherishes you.

He isn't here tonight because of the snow and ice so I am MNetting and hugging a hot water bottle.

If things get stale and he takes me for granted I shall speak out this time. I let my marriage fall apart because I was a doormat last time!

Longdistance Mon 21-Jan-13 00:20:45

I don't get anything like this sad feeling rather depressed now.

Mosschops30 Mon 21-Jan-13 00:15:32

Oh and I never get any of this either

Mosschops30 Mon 21-Jan-13 00:13:13

Quick poll, can't help but notice that a lot of these are dps!
Are they second goes for both of you.

I have a theory that people who divorce then couple up are much better because they learnt where they fucked up first time round

namechangecity Sun 20-Jan-13 23:13:51

for those of us that get none of this (ever) this is a tad depressing....grin

LemonDrizzled Sun 20-Jan-13 23:12:58

Makes me bedtime cups of tea and plies me with cake
Defrosts my windscreen in the morning before work
Makes me tea and porridge in the morning
Pumps up my bike tyres adjusts my gears and mends my punctures
Worries about me when I'm driving on my own
Makes me laugh overlooks my faults and is my friend!

SparkyDudess Sun 20-Jan-13 23:06:52

Phones me as he leaves work - we spend his 30 min drive home talking about anything but DS.

Goes miles out of his way to go to several stationers so he could bring me a selection of pens as I'd cried that morning when I couldn't hold a standard one.

Buys me jelly babies as they're the only sweets I like, and then bans DS from eating the red ones as they're my favourite.

Cuts me slack when I'm a hormonal irrational nightmare (every month).

Washes my hair when I can't do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now