Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What to do if you don't want to go on holiday with your inlaws

(28 Posts)
Mytimewillcome Mon 14-Jan-13 17:32:58

Basically I despise my mother in law. She has been horrible to me since the children were born. But now my DH's father is having a big birthday and she wants everyone to go on holiday together in the summer. Abroad. I can just about stand it if I stay with them for one maybe 2 nights but this fills me with absolute horror. I get on fine with everyone else in the family it is just her. We went there at Christmas and she was fine but I feel that I am just waiting for her to fall back into her horrible ways and say something to me. She is putting pressure on us to commit to this but I am just back to work after maternity leave and am not comfortable booking off holiday yet (I'm talking about back by a few days). We would also lose out money because both children are in nursery so we are talking about hundreds of pounds.

Mytimewillcome Sat 02-Feb-13 08:22:58

Ok so I have agreed on a trip to the UK for a week as long as we have separate accomadation but of course now that we have agreed she is now insisting that we all stay together in the same house. Luckily DH, whose suggestion it was in the first place, is insisting but so is she. All her emails are "I want...' 'I think...'. I know that even though this is supposed to be for her DH it really is all about her. I am trying to meet her halfway but she is making it difficult. She says she has compromised by agreeing to stay in the UK rather than a hot holiday in a villa.

My suggestion to my DH about going for a long weekend was discounted straight away. I can imagine that once we are on holiday it will be difficult to do anything on our own.

I think I am going to insist on the split accomadation and see how this trip goes but if she keeps trying to push her own wishes on us then never again. She doesn't realise that unfortunately the more she pushes the more I will dig my feet in.

Sorry just thinking out aloud.

Lovingfreedom Sat 02-Feb-13 08:29:59

If you don't want to go....just don't go. Don't bullshit just say you don't want to take time off work yet and its too expensive.

Lovingfreedom Sat 02-Feb-13 08:33:15

On sorry...just seen that you've agreed to something. Tbh I think you'd get on better if you just said what you did or didn't want to do cos actually...although you MIL sounds like a nightmare...everyone is trying to arrange this around what they think you might be willing to do...when you're not really interested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now