Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Moving from friendship to something more.

(51 Posts)
CuriosityKilledTheCrapTree Wed 05-Dec-12 19:40:19

Thankyou for clicking on my self indulgent first world problem stealth boast grin

Split up from Uneventful marriage about 6 months ago, got back in contact with someone from my past. Always mates (he came to my wedding). Always known he had a soft spot for me back then but nothing ever happened.

Now I'm looking at him - both single. He ticks all ths boxes - really decent bloke and honestly I think he'd do anything for me. Love being in his company.

But I'm worried...

If there was supposed to be 'more' then why didn't this all happen 10 years ago.

If we get together and it doesn't work out it'd be really difficult with mutual friends etc

But god - it could be so good.

Any experience/thoughts gratefully received.

RiddoTheRedNosedReindeer Tue 01-Jan-13 09:27:09

Congratulations!

Awww, congratulations!

extracrunchy Tue 01-Jan-13 09:14:14

Oh wow congratulations!!! That's made my day grin

CuriosityKilledTheCrapTree Tue 01-Jan-13 08:45:39

We decided to get married last night too.

Can't fricken believe it actually...

grin grin grin

I married a friend, 14 years ago. I didn't fancy him when we were friends, because you don't do you. When someone is in the 'friend's box' you don't think of them like that. When we got together it was like seeing him for the first time, - he's gorgeous, kind, funny, intelligent, and the rest. Can't believe I didn't see it before.

I think it is easier being with someone you know well as a friend, because you aren't blinded by infatuation at outset, you know them, warts and all.

ohfunnyFRANKENface Tue 01-Jan-13 08:34:22

Well done for taking that chance!!

CuriosityKilledTheCrapTree Mon 31-Dec-12 16:40:08

I know. It's got all the excitement of a new relationship without any of the game playing bullshit.

What a lovely thread.

Best of luck OP smile

CuriosityKilledTheCrapTree Mon 31-Dec-12 11:03:20

Thought I'd come back and update. Nice to have something positive...

It's been amazing. I can't believe how 'together' we are. Just having the best time. So much fun. Sex is great. Fancy the arse off him. It's just so good and getting better. We've talked about the future together, and all that it entails.

So thankyou for all your advice. 2013 is set to be amazing grin

Lavenderhoney Mon 10-Dec-12 17:09:10

Sounds great, it is a good startsmile

cognito, sounds interesting... Have you thought of writing it?

CuriosityKilledTheCrapTree Mon 10-Dec-12 12:12:09

Ah - is there a chance that the timing will be right any time soon cog?

CogitOCrapNotMoreSprouts Mon 10-Dec-12 07:35:35

"Nobody fancies the arse of someoene else with that intensity and waits patiently for years."

Try 30 years in my case. smile We're still not a couple but the attraction is very much there. Our story is combination of terrible timing and selfless personalities who try to do the decent thing and make others' lives happy rather than follow their hearts. We've been reviewing our lives recently and realised that it's been one long series of near misses. Would make a great novel.

CuriosityKilledTheCrapTree Mon 10-Dec-12 06:04:37

Well reader I did it grin

I pounced and it was wonderful. I am so pleased we did it. What a way to start the week!

Thankyou all thanks

Lavenderhoney Sun 09-Dec-12 02:19:59

Hope it goes well for yousmile

CuriosityKilledTheCrapTree Fri 07-Dec-12 22:12:11

Yes - I think he does. No pouncing but there was a 'moment' where had it not been a busy high street it might have been more than a quick goodbye kiss IYKWIM

I also had rumour from a 3rd party that he does like me.

Yay!

colinandhisdeaddogs Fri 07-Dec-12 18:08:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

colinandhisdeaddogs Fri 07-Dec-12 18:06:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lavenderhoney Fri 07-Dec-12 18:02:14

How lovely! Do you think he fancies you? Any pouncing? smile When s yor next encounter?

CuriosityKilledTheCrapTree Fri 07-Dec-12 14:16:01

Well coffee was lurvely - and yep do fancy him... Yay!

CuriosityKilledTheCrapTree Thu 06-Dec-12 21:06:23

arf at wood for trees analogy!

Lavenderhoney Thu 06-Dec-12 21:02:05

Ooh x post!

Lavenderhoney Thu 06-Dec-12 21:00:27

I am not shallow btw, just happy I can see the wood for the trees when it comes down to menfolk (mostly, I too have had my head messed with, by the man I now refer to as the prince of darkness) tosser.

CuriosityKilledTheCrapTree Thu 06-Dec-12 21:00:07

OK - I have wine... That advice works for me.

The worst that happens is hurt feelings. Nobody is going to die.

There are so many good things about him - I couldn't see the wood for the trees.

Lavenderhoney Thu 06-Dec-12 20:57:42

If you were here with a glass of wine, I would say you were overthinking itsmile and to get on with it.

But as you are not, then stop stressing, he clearly finds you attractive so carry on as you are and see him as soon as you can before you explode with nerves.

Wecanfixit Thu 06-Dec-12 20:55:48

Go for it I say what have you got to loose?, as the old adage goes nothing venutured nothing gained!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now