Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Does "hi" constitute a conversation nowadays? Zoosk related

(11 Posts)
Kennyp Thu 30-Aug-12 19:16:28

I am newly dumped/single and am on zoosk just as a bit of nosiness really. But have had a couple of messages for a chat and the conversation from them is "hi". Thats it

Do some people reply to that? I supose it is better than "ho". Are my standards too high as i wont start cyber talking to someone who just says "hi"?

I feel like tom hanks in sleepless in seattle when he thinks tiramisu is a sexual thing as he has no idea what is going on any more.

LineRunnerFlameBurning Thu 30-Aug-12 19:18:04

It's lazy, isn't it? But I think it's a shorthand for 'Do you want to chat or am I wasting my time now that you have seen my photo?'

BerthaKitt Thu 30-Aug-12 19:19:05

I think they are after a shag and are testing the water to see if you are wanting a casual chat IYSWIM. Just ignore!

cantbelievethisishppening Thu 30-Aug-12 19:29:29

Bertha
confused

All that from 'hi'

BerthaKitt Thu 30-Aug-12 19:31:35

All that from starting a conversation with a stranger on the net with 'hi', yes that's what i'd take from it. Most people on dating sites aren't looking for serious relati

BerthaKitt Thu 30-Aug-12 19:32:45

Relationships IMO. I haven't looked at any for a few years but I shouldn't think much has changed.

cantbelievethisishppening Thu 30-Aug-12 19:33:30

'Most people' on dating sites..... have you done a survey then? Or is it conjecture on your part?

BerthaKitt Thu 30-Aug-12 19:53:19

Well can I take it that you are guilty of starting chats with 'hi' cantbelieve? smile I can't link you to any scientific research papers no, just what I have seen in various places.

BerthaKitt Thu 30-Aug-12 19:54:56

The 'IMO' in my earlier post means 'in my opinion'!

Kennyp Thu 30-Aug-12 21:26:03

Okay .... Thanks??!?!!!!!

ridiculoussingle Thu 30-Aug-12 22:30:36

I never reply to people unless they put a BIT of effort in! wink
The ones that are worse are 'hi babe xxxx' What am I meant to reply to that?! In the past i have replied to 'hi', but the conversation quickly dies out anyway so I don't bother now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now