God Awful Archers Brief Encounter Episode

(16 Posts)
Leafmould Thu 09-May-13 19:23:04

It'll happen soon, there's no way they are going to reduce Lilian's airtime until it does, so I have switched off.

Bluestocking Thu 09-May-13 19:09:00

Paul! Liar, liar, pants on fire!!

Laughing at that frostfrond.

Bound to happen - she is playing a dangerous game hmm

frostfrond Tue 12-Feb-13 09:27:42

Agree,Paul gives me the boak.Lillian is really getting on my nerves,accepting all these treats from Matt. Why does whe never call Matt "Paul" by accident

Toomuchtea Tue 12-Feb-13 08:43:46

Paul gives me the creeps too CardiCorgi. Glad I am not the only one.

CardiCorgi Tue 12-Feb-13 08:41:22

I want to know more about Connie and Dolly and the difficulty of finding Bath buns.
Paul just gives me the creeps.

Carnforth Sun 10-Feb-13 22:02:04

Were that there were more of it among the young reporters on Radio 4....
"Cairnforth"!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sun 10-Feb-13 17:24:30

It has always been one of my favourite films, Carnforth, although the first time I watched it, it took me a long time to decide whether the hero was called Alec or Eric, such is is Celia Johnson's RP ("Elec") diction.

Carnforth Sun 10-Feb-13 15:51:48

To: ComeIntoTheGardenMaud
Dear CITGM,
Yes, indeed (and delighted that Barry Norman has included "BE" in his "Radio Times" Top-49 Films)!
C.

Helpyourself Sun 10-Feb-13 13:26:11

Oh it was cringeworthy, wasn't it.
Even worse the trailing. I caught both broadcasts of the weekday broadcast. confused ykwim, and both times they mentioned Lillian's brief encounter, geddit...
Gah

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sun 10-Feb-13 13:18:10

I assume the clue is in your name, Carnforth.

Carnforth Sun 10-Feb-13 13:14:46

Having just listened to Sunday's repeat, it made me cringe, too (perhaps because I love the film - don't ask)!
I chortled when I heard the first (subtle) reference to "Chorley" (Alec's Station), but then groaned as the scene descended into a farcical parody. I understand that the scriptwriter intended a respectful "homage", but I'm afraid that it ended up as a travesty.

R4 Sun 10-Feb-13 12:17:09

I am cross at what Vanessa Whitburn is doing to The Archers. The Brief Encounter fiasco is only the latest in a trail of damage that arises from the mindset that substitutes 'contemporary drama in a rural setting' in place of 'an everyday story of country folk'. I know that the BBC got fed up with Letter From America and wanted it gone, but they couldn't because it was 'an institution'. They were only freed by the death of Alistair Cooke. I wonder if they feel the same about TA and are trying to trash it so that, when the ratings have gone, they can cancel it with impunity.

I have telephoned the BBC Complaints department and e-mailed Feedback. I hope many others do, too.

However, now that Pandora has opened the box and allowed one improbable episode, I think that we should have another. This time we will do an homagehmm to Dallas's "it was only a bad dream" and start again from the morning of 31st December 2010.

Rangirl Sat 09-Feb-13 23:05:07

Awful ! And what does Lilian think she's doing

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sat 09-Feb-13 20:45:07

It was so twee. If one was being kind, one would say it was ::French accent:: an hommage to Brief Encounter. But I stopped taking The Archers seriously a long time ago. It's a sort of agricultural panto.

frostfrond Sat 09-Feb-13 19:17:45

This made me cringe.It was awful.Did anyone like it? How can I take the Archers "seriously" ever again?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now