Tell me it's just that my heart has withered within me or

(13 Posts)
kohl Thu 07-Feb-13 19:16:38

has it gone too far? This weak homage to Brief Encounter is embarrassing.
I wish Matt would just discover them and take soppy Paul out with Joe's shotgun.

happystory Thu 07-Feb-13 19:21:51

Yes gone on too long now, I can't believe her heart really in it, just a bit of excitement. We need Matt to show his true colours!

R4 Thu 07-Feb-13 19:52:20

No, it's not only you. It just shows what the SW think of the progrmme - something to make fun of.sad

I can only hope that they were playing a clever trick - thinking that we would be so sidetracked by the Brief Encounter vibe that we would fail to notice that Miss Busybody is actually a PI employed by Matt.

kohl Thu 07-Feb-13 20:01:04

Please God let her be a PI, it's about the only way that they can save this stomach churningly bad storyline.

Songbird Fri 08-Feb-13 09:52:25

Ooh I think I need to catch up. I thought it couldn't get any worse, but apparently not...

R4 Fri 08-Feb-13 10:24:57

I think that it was spectacularly bad judgement. As someone on Mustardland has said, they broke the fourth wall - which you can't do in a soap.
It may possibly have been amusing as a skit on another programme, for Comic Relief or something, but not within the hallowed timeslot of TA itself.

wellcoveredsparerib Fri 08-Feb-13 14:17:14

Gosh, definitely not just you OP. It was cringe-worthy.

TheSilveryPussycat Fri 08-Feb-13 14:27:02

Well I quite enjoyed it grin And life does sometimes imitate art, don't you find, though perhaps not quite to that extent. My theory is that the PI was such a fan of Brief Encounter that having noticed the resemblance she couldn't stop herself mentioning bath buns etc.

Songbird Fri 08-Feb-13 14:57:28

Having never seen Brief Encounter (blush), it just seemed a bit cheesy and cliche to me - was it a complete rip off?

This is on the BBC Archers website.

TheSilveryPussycat Fri 08-Feb-13 15:04:37

Funnily enough I was looking at someone the other day and I thought you suddenly look much younger blush

at my age I thought I was past all that. seemingly not blush (though am not quite as old as Lillian (who I remember getting a pony as a birthday present when I was about 10 and she was 14 or something)

ArtexMonkey Fri 08-Feb-13 15:07:22

I am officially OVER paul and Lillian. Paul is sounding more and more like a dull tedious clingy feathery-stroker.

PrincessFiorimonde Fri 08-Feb-13 15:14:18

I love that someone on that website refers to Paul as Lilian's 'personality-free paramour'. grin

Am also hoping that Connie turns out to be a PI.

Panzee Fri 08-Feb-13 16:31:58

They broke the fourth wall? What happened?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now