steve Wright - is it time for a change?

(50 Posts)
bacon Mon 10-Sep-12 17:47:42

Its the same format, same middle of the road rubbish and now playing songs followed by the same song in a different language.

I cring when some tunes come on especially if a friend is here I feel strangly embrassed by how old he makes me feel!

=Love Chris Evans in the morning, nice mix of music/banter.
=Find Ken Bruce ok as background/wallpaper but wouldn't bother to put the radio on if its noton already, although I do like Popmaster
=Jeremy Vine, generally enjoy
=Steve Wight I will turn off the radio as he makes my teeth itch, and I have to control the urge to tell the radio to fuck off
=Simon Mayo good drive time choice, quite like him

Don't listen in the evenings!

Agree "Love the show" Steve needs to go. But don't replace him with that twat Madeley FGS

ggirl Mon 10-Sep-12 18:42:59

Jeremy Vine is awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ggirl Mon 10-Sep-12 18:43:25

HIs show is the daily mail on radio

jetstar Mon 10-Sep-12 21:50:25

Oh yes, if I hear Madeley instead of Chris Evans I just don't listen until Evans comes back off his hols! How on earth can they possibly think he is a good enough substitute?

SuperB0F Mon 10-Sep-12 21:55:32

I see I've been beaten to the "Love the show" observation grin. Every. Sodding. Day.

fivegomadindorset Mon 10-Sep-12 21:57:56

Sadly Madely was so much better than Miranda.

iklboo Mon 10-Sep-12 22:05:27

Even DS gets annoyed with Steve Wright talking all over songs with his inane twaddle. Gonky faced fuck nugget. (Steve Wright, not DS obviously).

Madeley makes me want to chew my own arm off.

BOF Every fucking text begins with "Love the show Steve" - are they taking the piss or do the researchers just stick that in front of whatever the message is?

My text would be (Love the show Steve) Would you please just shutthefuckupnow. I don't care about your pissing factoids or the old lady or bleeding Elvis. And your interview stinks. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUST TAKE THE PENSION.

Aren't the BBC offering voluntary redundancy atm? I think that they should force SW to go and keep Charlotte Green.

Yes please can he go away. And let Liza Tarbuck replace him. I LOVE her, she makes me happy.
On Wednesdays it is even worse because radio 4 have moneybox AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! So I HAVE to listen to 'love the show' instead.

Is there a petition at all?

FizzyLaces Mon 10-Sep-12 22:25:29

I love Lisa Tarbuck too, she reminds me of my best pal smile

And YES, Steve Wright must go.

SuperB0F Tue 11-Sep-12 00:55:16

I wish I could find the Lisa Tarbuck dildo post on here sad

batteryhen Tue 11-Sep-12 01:11:22

Steve wright makes me feel stabby. Why the hell does he read out headlines from local newspapers? Why do I care that a duck has made a nest on the local cricket ground somewhere hundreds of miles away?!! I switch off after 12. And no Richard madely is not a good substitute for chris evans, in fact Madely makes me want to kill things.

batteryhen Tue 11-Sep-12 01:11:54

Steve wright makes me feel stabby. Why the hell does he read out headlines from local newspapers? Why do I care that a duck has made a nest on the local cricket ground somewhere hundreds of miles away?!! I switch off after 12. And no Richard madely is not a good substitute for chris evans, in fact Madely makes me want to kill things.

bacon Tue 11-Sep-12 07:26:40

whats the alternative in the afternoon? I do like the radio.

SloeFarSloeGood Tue 11-Sep-12 07:30:32

6 Music is great.

onyx72 Tue 11-Sep-12 07:35:26

I can't bear 'Auntie' Liza Tarbuck. She's not as amusing as she thinks she is.
Ken Bruce is ok in small doses although if I want to listen to a grumpy old man I can speak to FIL or BIL.

floradix Tue 11-Sep-12 07:38:37

Same old names, same old.

There should be an injection of fresh new blood and change the stale formats.

Why do the BBC insist on keeping the same hackneyed presenters for years or ones who pop up everywhere Justin.

Northernsouly Fri 26-Oct-12 16:06:33

Radio 2 love it!!! Chris Evans in the morning,great,Ken Bruce popmaster,great, Jeremy Vine winding up people is very enjoyable. Steve Wright i can listen to, but his annoying sidekick who absolutely behaves like a spoilt kid if noone listens to his drivel can go and jump. Simon Mayo is very enjoyable. Graham Norton is an absolute untalented so far up his own backside cretin. He lauds his gay way on radio and TV and so many innuendoes is unbelievable. He must surely have some high up friends in the BBC to keep his job. Please please fall from grace Norton. Zoe Ball is so manic i have to switch off when shes on. Madeley is...well Madeley. Pompous!!! Alan Carr i can only take so much.. around 10secs then the station gets changed. Vanessa yaps a lot but has a very soothing voice. Radio 1 is pants.

giftorloan Fri 26-Oct-12 16:12:23

steve wright can also be quite rude, I think.

replace ken bruce, steve wright asap.

really like jeremy vine, but think he sells himself short on his Daily Mail/white van man soundbite show. he plays the best music, though.

weegiemum Fri 26-Oct-12 16:14:45

I liked Steve Wright in the afternoon ... When I was 14 and it was on R1.

Now the oldies are all I like cos they're the only songs I know I'm ancient

NetworkGuy Sun 28-Oct-12 17:31:27

re Graham Norton - "He must surely have some high up friends in the BBC to keep his job." - probably, and gets paid a fortune too, for his TV series.

Personally could never listen to Chris Evans, or Chris Tarrant, and will sometimes listen to 6Music early afternoon (if I have woken up).

shoesontheglasslamp Sat 29-Dec-12 21:25:15

Oh yes, please, pretty please.

It's the same stuff he's been doing for decades. It was new and vaguely interesting then. Now - old and tired.

Liza, Zoe, Claudia, French and/or Saunders (if they practice first...), indeed a woman would be great. National station without one at peak time is pretty poor. Vanessa doesn't count, in so, so many ways.

ClaraDeLaNoche Sat 29-Dec-12 21:31:13

He is torture and that is a factoid.

Zoe would be good, or Sara Cox. I wonder do they get annoyed when the other one is asked to sit in? I imagine them phoning each other and Sara saying "I didn't want to do it anyway" while weeping inside.

There is a lovely Irish guy who stands in for Chris sometimes?

ouryve Sat 29-Dec-12 21:44:10

Ryan Tubbardy. He has a TV show on RTE at about the same time as Graham Norton is on. It notoriously descends into a bit of a piss up, from what I can make out from Irish Tweeters grin

And yes, this is an old thread, but far more worthy than Steve Wright.

Love Chris, Love Ken, I like Jeremy Vine, himself, but his show often makes me want to hurl my radio. Hate Steve Wright and the music he plays. Not keen on Tarrant, either, but at least he plays better music. I often switch to either 6 music or Absolute Classic Rock at that time. Love Simon - specially since he's read out my 3 worder and played one of my themed oldies. Love the blues on a Monday and the Folk on a Wednesday. Jo Whiley's show is OK, but she occasionally plays something that makes me switch off. She's lovely, but her voice sometimes grates.

I'd love Zoe or Sara to replace Steve. There both great and the lack of women on daytime R2 is a bit off, really. Not Liza Tarbuck, though. She's so rude to people who phone in. Her judgy pants tend to be hoiked up so high that I wonder if she doesn't lurk on AIBU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now