Eddie Mair fans - did you listen tonight?

(61 Posts)
Hassled Wed 29-Feb-12 20:07:46

Did the man get on the bus to Swansea? I need to know.

Ponders Wed 29-Feb-12 22:55:34

he always seems up for flirting anyway, MrsW grin

just found these quotes from a previous Eddie thread

".... well with me now is Geoffrey Robinson. He was once voted 'After-dinner Speaker of the Year', so if you've had your tea, you're in for a treat" (Mon 14 Feb 2011)

("if you've had your tea" neatly combines PM & ISIHAC)

[Mair was talking to a public figure on the subject of police investigations of allegations of homophobia against Sir Iqbal Sacranie. This person was quite hostile to the police action, and as he was speaking his mobile rang...] Mair: "That'll be the police for you now..."

"Yesterday people were going past my window in t shirts and dresses. But that's the men at the BBC for you." 22Sept06

My gaydar's absolutely rubbish. I don't care. I particularly love 'that'll be the police for you now'.

The wiki picture is very unflattering.

Ponders Thu 01-Mar-12 09:16:54

he is so quick smile

Lionelblairs Thu 01-Mar-12 12:02:40
Sockspence Thu 01-Mar-12 12:08:05

I was hooting at the tattooist's half-hearted attempt to lie about having listened to PM before grin

Hassled Thu 01-Mar-12 17:57:52

Yay Geoffrey! What a lovely, lovely man. He did amazingly well - I just want to hug him.

grin at "I had to work with Robert"

MrsWembley Thu 01-Mar-12 18:01:55

I welled up at the tale of the man on the bus to Swansea. The views he hadn't seen for years, his wife passing him and silently asking if he was ok.

Radio gold.smile

Wow. Geoffrey really kept us guessing didn't he? Wasn't sure at first whether he'd done it or not. What a brave and lovely man - does he realise just how terrified many of us would be at the thought of speaking to the nation on the radio!!!

Well done Geoffrey!

SydneyS Thu 01-Mar-12 19:20:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsWembley Thu 01-Mar-12 20:17:28

D'you know, I've had no interest in anything Twitterish, but Eddie might just get me on there...

SydneyS Thu 01-Mar-12 20:45:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HidingInTheUndergrowth Fri 02-Mar-12 11:09:01

Gosh, it's an mn Eddie Mair fan club! Can we have badges? grin

I also think he is super. So nice when needed but he doesn't take any nonsense either. The perfect balance.

Though this is a bit controversial I also really like Robert Peston, but then I am a radio 4 slattern grin

MrsWembley Fri 02-Mar-12 19:03:56

You are allowed to like Pesto, just not in public...

R4 Fri 02-Mar-12 22:23:29

I'm not in the EM fanclub, I'm afraid. He is in danger of turning a flagship news programme into lite entertainment. I'm not alone: he and/or his lack of editor got some grumbles on Feedback today.

FunnysInTheGarden Fri 02-Mar-12 22:32:58

Oh Boo R4 don't be such a sour puss. EM is just the right mix. The Today Programme is enough if you want serious news

Ponders Fri 02-Mar-12 22:43:17

most of the people who bother to contact Feedback are PITAs

PM is not a "flagship news programme" - it's a newsy magazine programme, & provides that service very well.

(IMHO of course. but anyone who thinks otherwise can...ahem...)

TheHonMrsP Fri 02-Mar-12 22:50:37

Today = heavy, boring, makes me listen to Heart FM
PM = fabulous, amusing, informative

It's not flagship news - there's a full news programme straight afterwards!

FunnysInTheGarden Fri 02-Mar-12 23:00:31

TheHon I am with you. Today makes me listen to Jersey 103 in the am. This is obv a case of R4 dumbing down just for us types grin

NigellaLawless Fri 02-Mar-12 23:02:43

I am soooooooooo excited to find this thread. I heart Eddie Mair and miss him so much these days.

I used to love listening to him on my drive home but now I'm on maternity leave I don't get to listen - 5pm is DS's grumpy hour and nothing but full eye contact and loud nursery rhymes will do confused

Is it wrong to look forward to going back to work so I can be reunited with EM?

MrsWembley Sat 03-Mar-12 01:06:42

R4 <pokes out tongue and blows raspberry>

Today is 'flagship news'; PM is a magazine programme. I shout at the radio in the morning. I nod and smile and hoot with laughter at the radio at tea-time.

R4 Sun 04-Mar-12 18:22:12

From the BBC website, it says that PM is an "afternoon news and current affairs programme, reporting on breaking stories and summing up the day's headlines" or "full coverage and analysis of the day's news."
Both descriptions mention reacting to events. They don't mention presenters going off on a ego trip inventing topics for discussionhmm. EM is going to end up in cutesy Martyn-Lewis-and-his-cats territory if he's not careful.

Ponders Sun 04-Mar-12 18:28:29

define current affairs, R4 grin

IMO they do all the things you put in quotes - just not "news" to the exclusion of real life

Ponders Sun 04-Mar-12 18:47:40

tattoo parlour on POTW right now grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now