Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Pushchair for enormous child

(30 Posts)
catgirl1976 Sat 02-Feb-13 20:41:04

DS is 14 months

He is already too big for the Quinny Zapp we thought would last till around 3 years sad

He is off the percentile charts and given he's going to need a pushchair for (I guess) another year or so I am at a loss at what to get him

Any tips on ones for larger children would be great

hotdog74 Thu 07-Feb-13 20:33:56

We have a Maclaren XLR for DD 2.3 years - we bought it as she was a very late walker so will probably take a while before she is walking everywhere. She is tall - 92 cms and has loads of room height wise and it is still much wider than she is. We bought it as it looked as though it had the most room of all the buggies we saw. HTH

TruthSweet Sat 02-Feb-13 21:54:37

DD2 still uses a pushchair on occasion at 5y 2m (she has mobility issues) & is currently 20kg/115cm, we had a Zapp last & DD2 fitted in it (though the hood just went over her head!).

In the last 2y I've used a Baby Jogger City Mini Double for DD2 & DD3 (& had DD1 in it after she hurt her knee when she must have been ~19kg/115cm), B-Dual (also look at the B-Smart as the seat unit is the same) - I have the 2010 model which has a HUGE hood & a EasyLife/Pedigree Sport Twin which takes a mammoth 45kg in each seat & can easily take a 6y (also available a single).

There are a fair few pushchairs that will take a larger child on the market, I hope you find the one for you!

catgirl1976 Sat 02-Feb-13 21:45:34

Some great recommendations on here

Will check out the clothes too

StrawberryMonkey Sat 02-Feb-13 21:40:33

Tbh the land rover doesn't give as much legroom as a baby jogger city mini GT.
any existing Land rovers are now 10y old (silver cross who were the manufacturers went bust in 2002 before being bought out by another company, this is when the land rover pushchair ceased to be manufactured).

The ones I see on eBay are pretty old (10 years min), points to check if buying second hand, is the fold mechanism ok still (the springs will be aged and prone to malfunction), will the brakes still function and stay put if engaged. Many are rusted or loose with age/use.
The elastic on the hood or storm covers will have lost its springiness, and so not fit so well as they ought to.
Does the 5pt harness still function (clasps all in working order).
The footplates are often broken on these old pushchairs too.

If you can find one in good working order, you will be fortunate.

The city mini gt will have a much bigger seat, and many luxurious features you wouldn't find on the simpler landrover.
Large hood, reclinable seat, lockable swivel wheel, fast one handed fold etc etc

Trazzletoes Sat 02-Feb-13 21:36:47

DS is a good 17kg and 105cm and is comfy in our Phil and Teds. Plus it's easy to double up if you're planning on having another one!

VinegarDrinker Sat 02-Feb-13 21:32:04

I haven't used it yet and not sure on height but I found a M&P Luna on our road left out for rubbish and claimed it - the seat unit seems huge, seems almost as wide as a double!

Sarahplane Sat 02-Feb-13 21:29:07

We have a maclaren xlr and used to have a techno xt. The xlr is significantly wider than the xt, both about the same height wise. Ds is about 14kg and 87cm and has got lots of room in the xlr. Hes 17 months and not long been walking but I think it should fit him until he's not needing a buggy anymore.

Lostonthemoors Sat 02-Feb-13 21:28:52

Have you looked at polarn o pyret clothes? We get DS stuff in their sales and it fits him really well smile

Sarahplane Sat 02-Feb-13 21:28:33

We have a maclaren xlr and used to have a techno xt. The xlr is significantly wider than the xt, both about the same height wise. Ds is about 14kg and 87cm and has got lots of room in the xlr. Hes 17 months and not long been walking but I think it should fit him until he's not needing a buggy anymore.

Lostonthemoors Sat 02-Feb-13 21:27:54

I think he'd be ok in the cam even if solid - sounds like he's all in proportion smile

catgirl1976 Sat 02-Feb-13 21:16:05

I'll keep looking for a landrover one popping up and have a look at these other recommendations
Thank you other mums of giant babies smile

volley Sat 02-Feb-13 21:13:50

Baby Jogger City Mini GT is their newest version and is their tallest, marketed as being able to accomodate taller toddlers. We got one as our son is crazy tall at 2.4 yrs and had already out grown Quinny buzz which our DD was in until 3.5!!

poodletip Sat 02-Feb-13 21:10:40

Maclaren Techno XLR is designed to be big. I've had 5 yr old DS sat in the Techno XT quite comfortably and the XLR is bigger. I've also had school age children sat in the Mountain Buggy comfortably enough.

Figgygal Sat 02-Feb-13 21:06:12

I've also a monster baby 99th weight off chart for height at 13mo he fits into his baby jogger city mini no problem ......for now grin

LynetteScavo Sat 02-Feb-13 21:05:57

I used a P&T for five years but my DC are average, not massive.

Kahlua4me Sat 02-Feb-13 21:04:59

That one looks clean but foot plate is broken and has no hood or raincover. Check out to make sure you can get spares online for it or just keep checking eBay as another will turn up.
Good luck

MN044 Sat 02-Feb-13 21:03:46

14 kilos at 14 months?! Blimey, my 4 yo is only 16kg! But I've had both my 10 month old and my 4 year old in the BJCM today. It's a really great thing, I got it to make life easier for my nan as she needs to fold up our pushchair when we go in our car. We have a Bugaboo Frog for youngest ds on the days I'm walking around with him, but I really don't think Bugaboos are the best thing for bigger dc, they always seem to look like they're wearing the pushchair iyswim grin We went on the train today and it was a godsend to be able to fold that thing so easily.

5madthings Sat 02-Feb-13 21:02:47

Instep nipper is great for big children, I love mine.

Sirzy Sat 02-Feb-13 21:01:51

I second the Maclaren techno xt. My very tall nephew still fits in his brothers at the age of 4.

catgirl1976 Sat 02-Feb-13 21:00:48

Fab - there is one on there for £18! Doesn't seem to have any covers or anything but for that price......

Camwombat Sat 02-Feb-13 21:00:17

Our ds is off the charts for height and at 19months is 15kg. He is almost out of his Buzz.
We have bought him a mclaren from the US as they go up to 25kg.
Some friends bought their ds a mountain buggy which also go up higher (& bigger), their 2 1/4 yr old is the size of a 4.5yo.
I know exactly how you feel grin

Kahlua4me Sat 02-Feb-13 20:59:00

The landrover ones are really fantastic. They don't make them any more so you need to look on eBay.
They are just like all landrovers and will go over any terrain with ease!

Hope that helps

catgirl1976 Sat 02-Feb-13 20:51:18

Brilliant - am going to check out the specs of these then get on ebay

I didn't know landrover did pushchairs! I like the sounds of the though smile

catgirl1976 Sat 02-Feb-13 20:49:41

Baby Jogger might work

He's 90cm and 14 kilos now at 14 months sad

DoItToJulia Sat 02-Feb-13 20:49:30

Try a Maclaren techno xt. Deceptively spacious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now