Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

From newborn- BJ versa or uppababy vista??

(19 Posts)
duende Sun 27-Jan-13 09:57:26

tiggywunkle yes, I did think about it. However, it still doesn't solve the problem of flying in the first 6 months. Also, I'm wondering how this would work with airline regulations regarding hand luggage. The rubbish budget airlines I most frequently fly with don't allow any hand luggage for under 2s. An adult can only carry 1 piece, so if I had a buggy, I couldn't have a bag....?
I would probably have to ask the airlines directly.

Tiggywunkle Sat 26-Jan-13 23:30:43

LOL the answer to flying is simple - buy yourself a Babyzen YoYo once your baby gets to 6 months (although I personally think the recline is good enough to use from 3 months but I didn't say that)
I have flown tons with children over the years and the nightmare part is when you get off the plane at your destination and you are left with no pushchair to get through the terminal to baggage reclaim with all your kit and the baby. The YoYo is the only pushchair certified suitable to go in an overhead locker and if it had been out years ago it would have saved me so much pain, suffering and complete nightmares over flying!! Worth every penny to someone who regularly flies!

duende Sat 26-Jan-13 10:04:46

Thanks everyone. It sounds like I can't make a bad choice with either of these two. It's reassuring that they both sell well second hand (if you can't find one, that is).

So I think I maybe should start another thread about a pushchair for flying...?

Tiggywunkle Sat 26-Jan-13 00:06:06

I have to say I agree that I wouldn't choose either of these to fly with. I have flown loads with children and watching pushchairs having bags and cases thrown on top of them was something I saw lots. Especially those which went to the gate because these were first off the plane at the other end and the bags got then thrown on top. I would keep your nice pushchair at home, and choose something cheap and robust for flying with.

I dont think the Vista is any harder to fold. Both the Versa and Vista are two of the best pushchairs out there. I agree that the Vista carrycot is gorgeous and the Vista all round is high spec. But so too is the Versa. You may well prefer the Vista though because of your height - it was a bit too high for me really. Go with your preference TBH - both are excellent.

FirstTimeForEverything Fri 25-Jan-13 14:18:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

duende Fri 25-Jan-13 14:11:03

Thank you, I will.

FirstTimeForEverything Fri 25-Jan-13 14:10:29

duende Fri 25-Jan-13 14:03:42

Wow, that's interesting, FirstTime. Do you know if it covers buggies which you carry all the way to the airplane steps, or only if you check them in with your luggage?

FirstTimeForEverything Fri 25-Jan-13 13:57:33

FirstTimeForEverything Fri 25-Jan-13 13:54:10

duende Fri 25-Jan-13 13:49:08

Well, I will be going for walks everyday but also driving (to the shops, park, doctors, etc.).
I suppose I have been quite lucky that the Mclaren didn't get damaged in 3 years of flying. Once they are sitting up, it's easy enough to pick up a cheap stroller for flying, a bit more difficult in the first 6 months.

It seems more difficult to choose a pushchair than a car!
Are there any online retailers you recommend?

Ihateparties Fri 25-Jan-13 13:12:32

They are both too big, too heavy and too valuable to fly with.. for me anyway. In general i find the vista too wide, the versa was lovely but mine went back with the original recall and i didn't get another because ideally day to day i would have something smaller with air tyres (which pretty much doesn't exist!) . I keep walking past rattly vistas, don't know if it's a general thing or specific to living in a bumpy cobbly place. As nanny says, what you do day to day really affects what suits you best as does the features you like. The versa folds in one piece very nicely but it's not thr quick pull and fold in one motion like a city mini or b agile. I would travel with something like that :-)

Nanny01 Fri 25-Jan-13 13:03:40

I have the versa

Nanny01 Fri 25-Jan-13 13:03:01

Wouldn't fly with either to big to heavy to valuable. Have you seen what they do with buggys. We keep an old bjcm with its own travel bag. My choice would be the bj over the versa. I have it loved the carry cot even using it with the maxi cosie car seat. The problem came when I needed it to be used out of the back of the car all of the time instead of some of the time or occasionally. Are you a walking person or car? They make such a difference to your choice. In my case circumstances changed.

duende Fri 25-Jan-13 12:07:27

Interesting comments, thanks.
Zigwig I didn't think the fold could be tricky, I will certainly try and see then both in flesh.

Ihateparties, why would you not fly with either?

Ihateparties Fri 25-Jan-13 10:52:40

I agree, go look at them, really find out how they work and what you like and dislike. I wouldn't fly with either but that's just me, i would have a separate buggy for those situations.

2blessed Fri 25-Jan-13 09:00:35

I have a 3 week old LO and a vista - am very happy with it.

zigwig Fri 25-Jan-13 08:57:56

These two were my shortlist too. I would recommend trying them out before you decide. I tried the other week and found the versa really awkward for me to fold. I didn't really like the brake either. The vista was much easier for me to use and I found it easier to push so I've settled on that.

duende Fri 25-Jan-13 07:43:39

I still have plenty of time (July due date) but starting research now. This will be DC2, with DS we used a pliko pramette and then a mclaren.
This time I'm keen to get something I can operate with one hand. I fly a few times a year, so one hand fold (versa) sounds very tempting.
I will be getting the carrycot, so the cost for both pushchairs will be fairly similar.
We are both fairly tall, so like tall handles. I like the reversible seat.
Uppababy seems more cosy and comfortable, but bigger and more difficult to fold.

What's he pushchairs experts verdict...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now