Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

URGENT! CANNOT FIND A PRAM WITH A DEEP SEAT!

(38 Posts)
WoolySheep Sat 19-Jan-13 16:35:29

Hi,

Sorry for the (admittedly hugely annoying) caps lock title of this post- but i'm getting a bit desperado here. My DS is 9 months and massive, he's a sturdy boy who weighs 30lbs and is VERY tall for his age. I can't seem to find a pram ANYWHERE that has a deep enough seat to make him comfortable, I have so far bought/been gifted the following prams, the Silver Cross Surf, which he seemed to be 'perched' on if upright as the seat was too shallow, and the new Quinny Moodd, which looks great but has literally the most shallow seat of all time, it's only got a totally, uncomfortable looking vertical upright position and his bum and body is literally too big for the seat, he looks like he's going to slide out of it and doesn't like it at all. The only pram i've got that he likes and seems deep enough seat-wise is the Quinny Zapp, but I want another pram to alternate it with. Need help as cannot seem to find for the life of me on the internet any info or advice on prams with deep, comfy seats that my little boy would be able to have room in and not look like he was about to fall out of. It's stressing me out a lot.

Also would love some extra advice aside from on a good single pram with deep seat, on a double with deep seats as i'm giving birth to second DS in may, so am going to purchase a double pram as well (yes, am a pram addict!), but don't want to make the mistake for getting one with shallow seats again as that would just be a nightmare.

Sorry for the rant! Suggestions would be amazing! xx

cakebar Sat 19-Jan-13 20:43:55

The main seat on my phil and teds vibe is very big, my average sized 6 year old looks comfy when he hops in and I have wedged my mid sized bum in when we were having a picnic (until DH told me off). The toddler seat is not massive but by the time a second DC was too big for it, they could go in the front.

It is heavy compared to a stroller, not heavy compared to most doubles. I am able to fold and put it into the luggage rack on the bus fairly easily. It is sturdy, good if you do a lot of walking, carrying a lot of stuff, go out in all weathers.

5madthings Sat 19-Jan-13 20:46:30

Out and about nipper I have one and my four year old fits fine in it, the seat is big and plenty of leg room.

TruthSweet Sat 19-Jan-13 20:49:01

How about a Easylife Sport (also known as a Pedigree Sport) it will hold up to 45KG per seat and my 22kg 125cm 6y 9m old can sit in it easily (not that she rides in it but if she needed to she could).

You can also get it as a double.

Ihateparties Sat 19-Jan-13 20:54:44

That is really large, considerably off the top of the centile chart! DS1 was fairly big at 26 and half lbs at 9months and I remember that being right on the cusp of disappearing off the top of that blue shaded bit at the top of the chart. 30lbs is the weight of an average 2 and half year old, he's probably not quite that tall though (91cm ish, is he?!) so different proportions to a child of that age.

I don't recall having this specific problem with DS, he seemed comfortable enough in everything we had - Cherry, Nipper, BJCM. I think he would have struggled in a MB Duet, DD1 and DD2 had one, dd1 is spindly and she filled the seat but not uncomfortably so. However, if you feel he is uncomfortable in the things you have tried then I suspect you are likely to feel the same about the Duet.

Incidentally I saw a Moodd this week and the seat looks pretty small. For my son singly I would have got a Versa had they been around at that time, for him and DD1 I had a BJCMD, which he fitted great in until we stopped using it when he was 2y10m. Size wise he would have fitted for far far longer. The Peach also would have been fine had I gone in that direction, particularly with the sliding hood on the upper/main seat. smile

poorbuthappy Sat 19-Jan-13 21:15:34

My 8 year old still fits in my nipper double.

WoolySheep Sat 19-Jan-13 21:36:01

Hi to Tiggywunkle and Kiriwara i'm sorry he doesn't weigh 30lbs he weighs 26lbs, so similar to misdee on here- I meant to write 'around 30lbs'. But yeah he weighs 26lbs, is 9 months and one week old, and his dad is 6'3 and i'm 5'7, plus both grandpa's are massively tall too. He doesn't look fat at all, doesn't have tummy rolls or anything like that and no one has ever commented on him being fat plus the doctor said he is perfect weight for his height, he is a tall baby- haven't measured him for a while so don't know the exact measurements but he's a lot taller than most 9 month olds. He also LOVES his food! But has so much energy he seems to wriggle it all off, he looks perfect I constantly get comments from people on instagram, who see his pics, in the street etc saying what a lovely baby, so he must look ok and not like some big freak!

WoolySheep Sat 19-Jan-13 21:38:49

To ihateparties see my above comment, my ds is same weight as yours was. Ok after what you said about the MB Duet I am deffo put off! Someone on here said their 8 year old still fits into it tho so confusing as conflicting things being said! Do you know about the phil and teds? x

Ihateparties Sat 19-Jan-13 21:55:40

The MB Duo I think, the Duo is bigger than the Duet, 74cm wide to 63cm. The Duet isn't ridiculously small but I think a sturdier child would look more squashed. If they were okay with being in it then I would be too iyswim. Is there somewhere local to you that you could try him in things? Somewhere I have a pic of 5yo DS in my B Agile... smile

The Phil and Teds models mentioned to my knowledge do have large main seats but I have never had one.

NoRoomForMeInMyBed Sat 19-Jan-13 22:01:48

Mountain buggy every time. My 4 year old sleeps comfortably in our duo. Its fab you wont regret it.

SizzleSazz Sun 20-Jan-13 10:36:51

Sorry, my mountain buggy was one of the original ones where they only made urban (swivel wheels) and terrain (fixed wheel). Since the were taken over they have brought out other versions which may be smaller. Although big when folded, mine was quite flat. Also oddly light when compared to a friends Phil & teds.
I recommend looking on eBay - ours was third hand when we got it and have recently sold it on again.

poodletip Sun 20-Jan-13 11:21:39

I have a Mountain Buggy Urban and I don't remember the exact age the oldest I had in it was but I remember DD sitting in it when she hurt her knee walking home from school so pretty big.

For a smaller folding stroller type buggy look at the Maclaren XLR they used to be marketed as having a capacity of up to 30kg as compared to the usual 15kg and have bigger roomier seats designed for larger children. For some reason they now say 15kg like all the rest but are still big buggies.

Moredofbumsnet Tue 22-Jan-13 14:11:26

I have 16kg dc3 in an ancient P and T and it is now quite hard work. I also feel that although there's loads of space for her body,her legs are getting a bit cramped(she's 2.5). I always have the option of making her walk but as, OP ,you do not, I would not recommend it.

Tiggywunkle Tue 22-Jan-13 17:30:23

They all say 15kgs because it costs a small fortune PER colour to safety test to 15kgs and then its extra to test to a higher weight, Plus once they have been passed at 15kgs, the pushchair can then go on sale, so why spend the extra money when you dont have to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now