Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Help me decide on a travel system!

(31 Posts)
OComeAllYeFaithBaby Wed 26-Dec-12 20:49:02

I think I know what specs I'd like - i'd like a continuous handle so I can steer one handed, the option to have pram style/parent facing and then switch pushchair but also with the matching care seat to attach to the wheels. I like the idea of a three wheeler but that's not essential. It needs to fold small enough to get into the boot of a Polo. Maximum budget is about £400 (ideally to get all the bits for that).
I like the Quinny Buzz but DH says its too costly! So, what do you recommend?! We're going shopping tomorrow and he wants to buy one by the end of the day!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 04-Feb-13 15:46:32

Right - it is done. Been to Kiddicare and final choice was....the babstyle oyster! Will definitely fit in the boot and I found it easy enough to put up and down. Did seriously consider the Graco Evo too but it just had the edge.

Felt like the best quality for the cost and bang on budget. She gave us discount too smile Thanks for all the advice.

HappyAsASandboy Thu 27-Dec-12 20:59:03

I would try the Loola Up (Maxicosi/BebeConfort). It folds down to a small size, is light, can take a carrycot/car seat in place of the seat, the carrycot and seat can parent face or forward face, and best of all, it folds small with the seat unit attached (whether parent facing or forward facing). Oh, and when it's folded, with or without the seat attached, it stands on its end donut doesn't take over your hall smile

I love the Loola (I have the original which is two handles, but the Up has a bar. My sister has the Up and agrees that it's fab smile )

I also recommend Kiddicare. They'll cart many pushchairs down to your car for you to try fitting them in, and they stock way way more styles that any high street shop. They also have a cafe so you can stay all day!

OComeAllYeFaithBaby Thu 27-Dec-12 20:48:32

A google suggest nearest independent shop is an hour's drive away! shock

ah. I've seen one but not tried and i didnt like it personally. I prefer big wheels and only 3 of them. I've had small wheeled prams before and they were much harder to handle especially for curbs and rough terrain eg grass in the park. By the look of it I would say it folds quite small but i think you'd need to try it in your car as I have no idea if thats right or not. If you're off to the kiddicare shop you'll likely see a huge range of prams that will suit you but if I were you I would try and go asap as they have a cracking sale on just now and you dont want to miss out!

Tiggywunkle Thu 27-Dec-12 20:42:08

The Streety is long and thin, like an umbrella fold. I struggle to fit umbrella folds into my car. Honestly before you even go to Kiddicare, look for local shops. There must be some! But Kiddicare is supposed to be fab and I think you will do far better there than Mothercare or BabysRUs.

Ihateparties Thu 27-Dec-12 20:22:28

Oooh yeah, go to kiddicare if you can. You'll be able to compare like for like much better, see the sizes in context etc. It will be worth a visit grin

OComeAllYeFaithBaby Thu 27-Dec-12 19:48:42

Actually (on closer inspection!) I meant the Streety!

Do you mean the Mura? Its can be folded with the seat attached as long as its facing forward and it folds smallish like that but if you take the seat off (as you would anyway if it was parent facing) and fold the chassis separately it actually folds really well. I managed to fit it (with four bags of shopping and room to spare) in the boot of my friend's micra in two parts. The front wheel clicks off really easily if need be and then it folds even smaller.

OComeAllYeFaithBaby Thu 27-Dec-12 17:36:21

Well we went and had a go. They were a bit hmm shock you only have one car and its a Polo?! Tried the Quinny Buzz (it's on sale). It will fit in the boot but only with both wheels off which I imagine would be a faff. Mothercare weren't brilliant tbh, very much These are the Mothercare travel systems! She showed us the Orb (but that was very much 'and then it's an extra £100 for this bit....') and the Mychoice 3. Basically walked away undecided but apparently (according to a bloke I quizzed in Mamas and Papas!) our best bet is to travel to Peterborough to Kiddicare where there's a much bigger selection so might go over in the next few weeks (it's about an hour from here).

Anyone know how small the maxi cosi travel system folds?

Ihateparties Thu 27-Dec-12 13:33:01

We have an ibiza, it' s the same car as a polo underneath the badge, the boot is really generous for a small car. If you don't want to have to pop a wheel each time the width is the important bit. Most 56-60 cm bog standard prams will fit, wide ones like the buzz may struggle and the mura although lovely is also massive :-)
If you will be lifting it in and out of the car a lot then really think about the weight and shape folded, if it's unwieldy it may drive you insane. The right pushchair for your lifestyle will last you much longer than something that's too big and heavy for what you do in your day to day life

Piemother Thu 27-Dec-12 11:49:32

Ohhh the giggle is what I keep seeing in town and admiring. V neat and petite and really cool colours grin
Wish I was pram shopping for dc1 again! It's much more fun than double shopping meh

PrincessOfChina Thu 27-Dec-12 09:45:51

We have an Oyster and I loved it, although we stopped using it when DD was about 1 as she was at full time nursery so it was easier to have an umbrella fold buggy for nipping about.

We have a Seat Ibiza which is similar size to the Polo and it fitted fine - boot was pretty full when in carrycot mode though!

OComeAllYeFaithBaby Thu 27-Dec-12 09:39:18

Right I will be looking at these online this morning then going for test drives later! Sadly I don't think there's an independent retailer near here sad I will try Mothercare and Toys R Us since they are close together!

<sticks out tongue> well ner! but I do love my mura. And its a beautiful shade of peacock blue with aqua contrast like this Mura

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Wed 26-Dec-12 22:24:38

Kentucky i am in love with it grin

IveBeenGoodSantaIPromise Wed 26-Dec-12 22:21:42

I have a babystyle oyster. It's great. Very light, fits in small car and was reasonable. I can recommend.

Tiggywunkle Wed 26-Dec-12 22:16:06

I think you need to be trying pushchairs into your car boot TBH. I know someone with a Golf who has just sold their Buzz because it filled the boot and I think she had to remove a wheel too. The Oyster is probably a good bet TBH - its a good all round pushchair. Look also at the Mutsy Evo and the Mee-Go because you get a lot for your money. I dont know the folded size too. I think though your car boot will determine what you get. Head for a good independent retailer rather than Mothercare and get some good advice smile

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Wed 26-Dec-12 22:13:07

Aww wow a little pink one! how lovely! DS2 has been welcomed by DS1, and throughly enjoyed I have to say! Not long for you now!

Totally agree on neutral colours, ours is green three wheeler, and i think even as a pramaholic I will stick with the one hehe!

Ah I bet christmas was fab this year, and shopping will be exciting!

oh strawberries i like the look of the giggle but got my mura so cheap (under 100 all in and spotless) that i changed my mind. but my gosh the giggle is purdy envy

OComeAllYeFaithBaby Wed 26-Dec-12 22:05:47

Oh hey BB, congratulations! grin I'm so happy for you!
Looks like a pink one this end, all healthy at 20 week scan smile Won't be getting a gender specific colour though because a. Legs were crossed and b. if we're really lucky, we might have another!

The 3 wheel thing is purely aesthetic, very little off roading required! DH had picked out the maxi cosi Mura so we'll definitely have a look at that. There's just so much choice!

Tallgiraffe Wed 26-Dec-12 22:00:59

Try the uppababy vista, it does all of what you're after and I love it! Mahoosive shopping basket too grin

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Wed 26-Dec-12 21:54:43

Hi faith!! (I used to be BBwolefs) eek how exciting to be picking your travel system! I went through several and have just gotten the cosatto giggle, have to say cant fault it at all and its cheap as chips! Ive had an icandy and it was good but cust service lacking, bugaboos are nice but I fond them a but warhorsey, was going to get the oyster myself, but the giggle just pipped it to the post.

Hope you are pottering along well smile Ds was born on the 21st x

oh yes its a 3 wheeler though i think you can also get a 4 wheel version

I have a maxi cosi mura which fits those criteria. I love it- it looks nice, its v comfy and v easy to steer, it does off road really well (and I live rurally and have to walk a dirt track to school every day so have tested the suspension v well), the seat unit is fine for a newborn (though i have the soft carrycot as well which was included when i bought 2nd hand as new), it fits a maxi cosi carseat (and you can get this included when bought new), adjustable handle (continuous) for big'uns and little'uns like me and dh, is v quick and easy to fold and i think as long as you dont have a smart car would fit in the boot lol, can be forward or rear facing and the attachment of the seat unit is extremely easy and not fiddly in the slightest, the basket is a decent size- i manage to fit 2 school bags and the change bag and a jacket in it for the school run, the seat unit lies flat and the hood has plenty peep holes. All in all i wholeheartedly recommend it! As you can see from my essay grin oh and you can pick them up really quite cheap off ebay.

Ihateparties Wed 26-Dec-12 21:19:31

Do you have a favoured car seat? Not that it matters as most of them you can get adaptors for most things really. Is the 3 wheeler idea for going off road or you like the looks of them? I only ask because reversible seat 3 wheelers are harder to find than 4 wheelers.

Right, things to google - Mutsy Evo, iCandy Cherry, Babystyle Oyster, Baby Jogger Versa, Graco Evo, Jane Rider or Trider (the latter more expensive I think? But is reversible seat 3 wheeler) erm.... lots more. Someone else will be along soon with more suggestions I'm sure.

At this moment in time if I was starting again I think I would get a Versa, it's the most versatile, good quality all rounder I've ever had. With the carrycot and car seat though it would push you over budget (it's something like £359 for the pushchair, circa £110 for the carrycot, plus whatever for the carseat on top). I think it's worth it but then again I'm a pram fanatic so I would think that so it depends on your approach!

If you think you will use it for a good few years it is good value, if you think you will ditch whatever you buy for an umbrella fold stroller when your child is no longer a baby then the aims are different smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now