Has anyone installed a long set of folding/sliding doors in their house

(232 Posts)
SpaceTrain Sat 07-Mar-09 22:04:21

For our extension we are planning to have the whole wall that leads to the garden (approx 6 m) kitted out with folding doors.

Our architect has recommended Solarlux doors, which do seem to be good but also seem to be the most expensive.

Has anyone had any experience with these, or with any other makes?

We've had a quote from Sunflex, and another make we are looking at is Express Bi-folding doors, which are quite a bit cheaper. However I don't want to skimp on this purchase if we are going to face significant quality issues by buying cheaper.

Another question I have is what have you done for screening the doors? Express offer integrated blinds, which seems a better option that having trailing vertical blinds on the inside.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Andy403 Tue 19-May-15 11:08:45

The concept is great but NEVER USE ANGLIAN WINDOWS the doors "drop" preventing opening and closing, the plastic sealing gaskets shrivvle in most corners of most windows, the incorrect floor sealing gasket was the wrong (smaller) size. After more than 9 repeat 9 corrective visits the gaskets have still not been replaced. A second no show by sub contract engineers this morning reveals that they have to have a joint visit by "Ally UK Limited" presumably the manufacturers and Anglian contractors to discuss the faults.
The CEO and Customer Care Manager unable to influence outcomes.
Anglian is currently owned by its bankers Royal Bank of Scotland who hope to sell the company shortly on the stock market!!!! Don't touch the shares either.

Helen2000 Mon 18-May-15 10:08:11

Just adding another opinion if that's OK. We were quoted about £2,500 for 3 leaf bi-fold door with one opening independently.
Beware of the "Folding Door Shop". Once we had paid our deposit it turned out they couldn't provide the door we ordered (the one they had said they could fit) They refused to return our deposit even though it was their fault they couldn't provide it.
Customer services don't exist and no-one replied to repeated phone calls, emails and letters so we lost our deposit.
[NB: There are companies with very similar names which I am sure are great!]

KellyKelly1234 Tue 24-Mar-15 13:29:51

This blog is so useful. I had sliding bifold doors installed by my builders but they are stacking in opposite direction to my instructions and have been waiting 6 weeks to get them replaced. Builder informed me no date for this yet! I am therefore looking at sourcing replacement myself. I live in East London and none of the places are close by, but have narrowed down to either sun seekers or folding door company. I am waiting to hear back of where I can view these locally but have anyone any feedback/experience with either of these companies in recent times? Thanks. Kelly

itakemytime Thu 19-Feb-15 12:21:14

Hi, I'm new to Mums Net and new to this thread, but it is sooo useful that I can't resist joining in. I am planning to put bifolds between my living room and my new conservatory. (Why not French doors, which would be much cheaper? Cos my spaces are pretty small and I think bifolds will need the minimum of clearance space for opening and closing. And in summer I aim to leave them open mostly and use the two spaces as continuous.)
The space for the doors is only 1450 wide so I am looking for a slim profile so as to lose the minimum of light. I'm currently looking at Schuco or Alu-K doors from www.bifoldingdoorfactory.co.uk/ - does anyone have experience of them please? Thanks.

LacunaDanmark Wed 18-Feb-15 13:24:27

Ok, I fully understand. However, just to let you know; our panels have frames which are only 117mm (frame to frame /56+5+56mm), and if gloss finish is chosen they look exactly like aluminium. Perhaps the planners would be happy with 'like for like' appearance?

tigger123456 Wed 18-Feb-15 12:42:42

I'm afraid I need aluminium framed windows as (i) timber frames would be too wide given the shape of the windows, and (ii) I live in a conservation area so I have to replace the existing windows like-for-like (but better) otherwise I will need to get planning permission.

LacunaDanmark Wed 18-Feb-15 10:35:50

Hi Tigger123456

I just came across this thread and thought I would add my comment.

I am the UK agent for Lacuna bi-fold doors, which are relatively new on the English market. The doors are Danish designed and made from German heat treated wood.

Very good quality, excellent insulation values, low maintenance and competitively priced, and lead time about 6-7 weeks.

This is the website: www.lacuna.dk

Happy to send you some more information via email. :-)

I am Danish myself (part-time mum/part-time bi-fold door seller)
and I have as part of my work researched many English bi-fold door companies, - and I can honestly say that Lacuna doors do stand out....but then of course I am biased....;-)

sacbina Sun 15-Feb-15 12:40:49

were going for Kloeber bifold, then saw Sunseeket slide and pivot, they suited us better

tigger123456 Sat 14-Feb-15 15:12:05

Which ones did you chose?

sacbina Fri 13-Feb-15 14:10:40

there are so many to choose from aren't there! I just emailed them all and then eliminated from there, based on price, length of installation time etc.

get together the info required and email them all. if they don't answer I tend not to go any further. I love the ones we chose, but went to see three companies I'd narrowed it down to

good luck

tigger123456 Fri 13-Feb-15 12:26:32

Hi! What a useful thread!

I'm looking for aluminium framed triple glazed bi-fold doors and replacement windows in North London.

I've contacted various recommended local firms who simply haven't replied. Another told me "I don't need triple glazed windows" and sent me a quote for standard double glazed windows instead. A high-end bespoke company turned out not to do normal windows. Aluminium clad timber frames won't work as the frames will take up so much of the available space. Duration were recommended but their quote is incomprehensible and they refuse to answer follow-up questions.

HELP!!!

I'm starting to wonder whether getting the doors from a German or Danish firm might be the answer.

Any ideas?

Felixmummy10 Thu 22-Jan-15 12:00:05

Sadly we are still waiting for Solarluxuk to install 7 months since ordering. Delivery was stated to be 8 to 12 weeks.
We initially ordered with Fine design ltd june 8th 2014. They told us they were very busy but could not give us a date. In November 2014 we were told Germany had the order but by then we were fed up so contacted Solarluxuk who have said hoping for 1st week in March. It is cold in our house! Solarlux Scotland may be better?

sacbina Sat 10-Jan-15 00:14:29

we had sunseeker ultra slim slide and pivot doors installed a month ago. bloody love them, so much nicer than chunky bifolds I viewed. would recommend

JadeRodders Fri 09-Jan-15 21:25:37

thanks all for the reviews, this very helpful and yet I'm still very confused!confused Really disappointed about the sunseeker reviews as they would have been our first choice design wise, but moving on we're leaning towards Folding Doors 2 u and the Viso1000 door. Has anyone had any experience with them or this product?

www.foldingdoors2u.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/foldingdoors2u/timeline?ref=page_internal

todddan21 Mon 17-Nov-14 10:17:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MissWing Sat 01-Nov-14 14:31:30

7 day windows are horrendous. They should be called 7 month or never windows. Avoid at all costs.

JohnAshby65 Thu 30-Oct-14 22:42:05

We have just appointed a company called Park Farm Design Ltd for the supply & install of folding doors and windows to our barn conversion. Having spent some time researching and visiting showrooms in the end we went with a recommendation from the brother in law. Extremely pleased with the process so far and Park Farm seem very knowledgable. I will certainly post further info online once our products are fitted (late Nov) but so far so good. smile www.parkfarmdesign.co.uk

KimmyC88 Fri 24-Oct-14 08:41:31

Hi Munger,

Many thanks. Yes I tried the link but seems no availability. You are so lucky to get them and they look great. Love your kitchen and the karndean floors.

Munger Thu 23-Oct-14 22:16:23

The stools are Ikea.
www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60155602/

There is an issue with availability though (which I expect is because they sell them for only £29). We had to visit a store ~40 miles away to find some in stock..

www.extendingmyhome.co.uk

KimmyC88 Wed 22-Oct-14 09:31:57

Hi Munger,

Was admiring your kitchen. Where did you get the kitchen stools as they look perfect and would fit into my small kitchen bar? What brand are they and how much did you have to pay for it? Many thanks and kind regards,

Kim

emilybarnes Tue 21-Oct-14 08:39:50

MaryShelley blogs are of course just one persons take on something - i'm not saying my findings are definitive and I'm not 'Which?'. This is just my review based on the information I was given. I chose to get quotes for the door sets I did because they seemed to be comparable aesthetically. Cost is a a very important factor to many people so thought was worth sharing my research here. You obviously have a very detailed knowledge of the sliding door industry - who do you favour overall?

MaryShelley Mon 20-Oct-14 16:51:10

Not a particularly good blog post emilybarnes - you compared very different products solely on price! Surely as a designer you should know there is more to a product than price. You can't simply compare solarlux and a schuco door set - shucho don't fabricate the doors themselves for example whereas the solarlux product arrives fully manufactured and glazed from Germany. Also, sunflex products are supplied by many places and not by 'sunflex' directly.
Naff.

emilybarnes Mon 20-Oct-14 13:50:57

I just wrote a blog post on comparisons of sliding folding doors and found this thread very useful. I also got quotations for cost comparison. I thought it would be useful to add the link here as its kind of a summary of the above... You can read it here: designfor-me.com/advice-and-tips/product-review-sliding-folding-doors-bi-fold-doors/
Enjoy!

Munger Mon 25-Aug-14 03:01:16

Just an update. Very pleased with the sliding door option.

The finished project is shown here:

www.extendingmyhome.co.uk/1930-siderear-extension/4584058398

ajandjjmum Tue 12-Aug-14 16:48:42

Strange to see this thread re-surface! Our Sunfold system is 10 mts. long, and this year we have used it more than ever, as the weather has been so good. It was installed 10 years ago, and really is as good as new.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now