Has anyone installed a long set of folding/sliding doors in their house

(215 Posts)
SpaceTrain Sat 07-Mar-09 22:04:21

For our extension we are planning to have the whole wall that leads to the garden (approx 6 m) kitted out with folding doors.

Our architect has recommended Solarlux doors, which do seem to be good but also seem to be the most expensive.

Has anyone had any experience with these, or with any other makes?

We've had a quote from Sunflex, and another make we are looking at is Express Bi-folding doors, which are quite a bit cheaper. However I don't want to skimp on this purchase if we are going to face significant quality issues by buying cheaper.

Another question I have is what have you done for screening the doors? Express offer integrated blinds, which seems a better option that having trailing vertical blinds on the inside.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

KimmyC88 Fri 24-Oct-14 08:41:31

Hi Munger,

Many thanks. Yes I tried the link but seems no availability. You are so lucky to get them and they look great. Love your kitchen and the karndean floors.

Munger Thu 23-Oct-14 22:16:23

The stools are Ikea.
www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60155602/

There is an issue with availability though (which I expect is because they sell them for only £29). We had to visit a store ~40 miles away to find some in stock..

www.extendingmyhome.co.uk

KimmyC88 Wed 22-Oct-14 09:31:57

Hi Munger,

Was admiring your kitchen. Where did you get the kitchen stools as they look perfect and would fit into my small kitchen bar? What brand are they and how much did you have to pay for it? Many thanks and kind regards,

Kim

emilybarnes Tue 21-Oct-14 08:39:50

MaryShelley blogs are of course just one persons take on something - i'm not saying my findings are definitive and I'm not 'Which?'. This is just my review based on the information I was given. I chose to get quotes for the door sets I did because they seemed to be comparable aesthetically. Cost is a a very important factor to many people so thought was worth sharing my research here. You obviously have a very detailed knowledge of the sliding door industry - who do you favour overall?

MaryShelley Mon 20-Oct-14 16:51:10

Not a particularly good blog post emilybarnes - you compared very different products solely on price! Surely as a designer you should know there is more to a product than price. You can't simply compare solarlux and a schuco door set - shucho don't fabricate the doors themselves for example whereas the solarlux product arrives fully manufactured and glazed from Germany. Also, sunflex products are supplied by many places and not by 'sunflex' directly.
Naff.

emilybarnes Mon 20-Oct-14 13:50:57

I just wrote a blog post on comparisons of sliding folding doors and found this thread very useful. I also got quotations for cost comparison. I thought it would be useful to add the link here as its kind of a summary of the above... You can read it here: designfor-me.com/advice-and-tips/product-review-sliding-folding-doors-bi-fold-doors/
Enjoy!

Munger Mon 25-Aug-14 03:01:16

Just an update. Very pleased with the sliding door option.

The finished project is shown here:

www.extendingmyhome.co.uk/1930-siderear-extension/4584058398

ajandjjmum Tue 12-Aug-14 16:48:42

Strange to see this thread re-surface! Our Sunfold system is 10 mts. long, and this year we have used it more than ever, as the weather has been so good. It was installed 10 years ago, and really is as good as new.

peanutandjam Tue 12-Aug-14 16:19:51

actually, they just used the external door handle to get in and not the actual lock (no lock from the outside, just a handle to open/close). So they snapped it internally where the bolt connects both handles.

peanutandjam Tue 12-Aug-14 16:10:40

Yes I think so.

It was snapped open from the outside handle.

PigletJohn Mon 11-Aug-14 21:58:53

was it a Eurocylinder that got snapped?

peanutandjam Mon 11-Aug-14 14:57:10

When specifying for the bifold sunflex SP70 doors, make sure you order with the extra security locks to the top and bottom of the main opening. The standard locks are easy to snap open with force leaving your property prone.

We had a been burgled by this technique.

Raynera Thu 31-Jul-14 20:46:06

Hi I have just had some bi folding doors installed, we used a company called reveal doors and windows in leeds, Great service, helpful and a friendly team. Extremely happy with our doors and would recommend them to everyone, even offer a free 12 month check up that other companies do not

Ann Rayner

321triple Wed 30-Jul-14 07:19:32

Avoid Aluminium Trade Frames in Manchester. This company are terrible and we experienced huge delays with them and appalling customer service. They are cheap and not so cheerful. Instead try Express bi-folding in Leeds.

MMMMMaria Thu 24-Jul-14 13:50:07

Hi just wanted to add that our sliding doors went in and look great smile. the company we used were a better price then other companies providing the same and similar doors. SKG (http://www.sliding-folding-doors.com/) were very helpful and friendly, highly recommend them!

KimmyC88 Tue 22-Jul-14 11:19:12

Hi MMMM Maria,

Can I please have some advice on the bi-folding doors? Can I have your number to call you? Not sure how to send this message to you directly. Many thanks and kind regards,

Kim

KimmyC88 Mon 21-Jul-14 11:45:41

Many thanks for the information

ChrisJones1 Mon 21-Jul-14 10:02:06

Hi,

We used IDSystems who are a National Company and have been very happy with the doors we received and the service.

KimmyC88 Thu 17-Jul-14 15:29:00

Hi,

Sorry if I am a bit late. We are doing a kitchen conservatory and am looking for advice on bi-folding doors, what to use for the kitchen and the conservatory floors. Many thanks

MMMMMaria Thu 19-Jun-14 16:45:50

Came across this after responding to another post so thought I'd add my 2 cents : )
Hi, if you are still looking feel free to message me and I can give you my number if you want to talk through all the options as we have just gone through the same process.
I started off thinking I wanted bifold as I like the idea of opening the whole wall up. Decided for sliding doors after going to Grand Designs show and looking at all the options.
First of all everyone's advise was do not go for a local joiner. After looking at some good local joiner's work and seeing some of the German doors I agree. The German doors cost more but the difference is obvious. Frankly I couldn't tell much difference from the mid-top range of companies. We looked at Sunflex, Express bi-folding, Solarlux, Fineline, Kloeber, etc. We went with SKG who do Sunflex doors.
Our doors are 5m wide and we went with 3 doors so 2/3 can be opened up and when closed the center (where most people tend to look out) is a wide expanse of glass rather than a post.
Our terrace is not huge and bi-folds requite a meter of space left clear all the time so the doors can be opened out.
Bi-folds also have a lot more frame then sliding doors, less if you go for very expensive doors but still more. Sliding doors are more glass to frame so you see the garden more than the doors. Seeing that there are more days of the year when the doors are closed I thought it was important to have more glass.
Sliding doors let you open the door as little or as much as you want.
We had sliding doors that were put in by previous owner but they were cheap ones and were 2 wide panels with a very wide post in the middle so when you walked into the room you just saw the wide post and not the view out into the garden.
I have learned far too much about door, and tiles, and extractor fans then I ever thought I would but I wanted to make sure we made the best decision after knowing all the options. Happy to answer any more questions if you haven't fallen asleep yet!

kaybar007 Wed 28-May-14 14:15:20

Coming to this very late but as we had SUNFOLD SYSTEMS doors (and a roof) installed 7 years ago and have had constant leaks, I cannot recommend them. We're out of warrantee now too and nothing they've done has been able to resolve the leaks. Their customer service and work ethic is unbelievably bad. I blogged about it until last year, and will rescurrect the blog soon with updates as it's ongoing: kaybar007.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=sunfold

321triple Mon 26-May-14 04:41:34

I'm joining this thread late I realise but thought it best to warn people against using Aluminium Trade Frames in Oldham. They are a terrible company and made me quite poorly with stress. They took full payment for our bi-folding doors and delivered nothing for months. I was sick with worry. They had awful customer service too and we were treated dreadfully. Pay a bit more for a quality product and piece of mind. Express bifolding are good.

FumiYamamoto Sun 25-May-14 17:07:36

Munger, thank you very much - very useful.

Munger Thu 22-May-14 22:39:00

FumiYamamoto. The bottom track (3.5cm depth) is recessed into the floor to give a flush threshold. With the 3 panel door the track width is 21cm, a 2 panel track would be ~14cm. These particular doors cost ~£4165 which appears reasonable given they are triple glazed and 2.5m tall.

FumiYamamoto Wed 21-May-14 16:30:01

They look great Munger I too prefer them to sliding, folding doors. Can you tell me how deep the stepover bit is? Would you mind telling me how much they cost as I might go and look at their showroom (you can pm me if you like) Thank you very much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now