Howdens Kitchen prices

(56 Posts)
SidandAndyssextoy Wed 26-Feb-14 10:06:15

We're having our kitchen extended so will have lots of room for new kitchen units. We already have Howdens Burford range (there when we moved in) which is OK but I like the idea of their real wood doors (Tewkesbury probably). Does anyone have an idea of the price difference between the ranges? Obviously we'd have to replace all doors with the new range too, rather than just add more. The planner is coming tomorrow to measure up so I'd like some idea whether it's worth her while to price up the more expensive option!

ivykaty44 Wed 26-Feb-14 23:12:26

No you keep carcus and get new doors

Or you search for second hand units that match your existing

Or get second hand units and change doors to match yours

SidandAndyssextoy Wed 26-Feb-14 23:15:09

Yebbut we want the fancy insides like the larder shelves. We've probably got almost as many doors as we need, as we're throwing some carcasses out that got mould, so it's the carcasses we need.

ivykaty44 Wed 26-Feb-14 23:15:46

Wood and beyond

There depth is 38mm where as Bowden's is 40mm

But at there prices you may find you can replace all worktops

Watch howdens on work top measurements as they over over estimated worktops..?? So remeasure yourselves

SidandAndyssextoy Wed 26-Feb-14 23:17:30

Thanks for the tip!

SidandAndyssextoy Thu 27-Feb-14 10:10:12

The designer came round to measure today. This is going to cost a small fortune.

<heads off to eBay>

ghostinthecanvas Thu 27-Feb-14 10:17:23

Try magnet. Theirs are similar or jewson. Jewsons come in different builds. Flat, partially built, assembled. Saves money on joiners time.

SidandAndyssextoy Thu 27-Feb-14 10:18:15

Unfortunately I have half the kitchen already. I won't save enough by starting from scratch with a different range.

ghostinthecanvas Thu 27-Feb-14 10:22:34

Can you mix and match? How much haggling did you do with howdens? Speak to your joiner. He should be able to get them down. Magnet are very similar. Can you do a complementary/contrasting colour?

Reese123 Thu 27-Feb-14 10:30:14

I have just had Howdens round, who told me that Tewksbury was double the price of Burford. Maybe, you could get them to price 2 different ranges so you could see what suits your budget more.

My designer looked like he had just left school, hope yours was a bit more experienced.

SidandAndyssextoy Thu 27-Feb-14 11:05:35

Yes, I reckoned Tewkesbury were twice the price too. The planner (also young here!) did talk about getting stuff off eBay.

BUT I am now feeling much better as my builder appeared and said he gets an 80% discount on their prices. So the Tewkesbury cupboard that costs £500 odd on the list upthread is less than £100 for him. He says the most he has paid for a Howdens kitchen, even a huge one with woods doors, is 4k. I feel much better now.

SidandAndyssextoy Thu 27-Feb-14 11:07:36

Oh, and did no haggling but we were only at the planning it out stage. No quote yet.

The builder says they have sales targets which they need to meet even if selling at a loss. So he buys kitchens on the last day of the month. grin

He did say that Howdens don't do themselves any favours with the trade discount hoo hah, and they'd do much better having clearer prices.

Rollergirl1 Thu 27-Feb-14 11:18:42

Cretaceous: I am in the process of looking at kitchens as we speak and have just had a quote from Howdens. It says on the quote that it's with a 70% discount but it's still coming out at just over �8k with tax (incl appliances). I'd be very interested to see your price list from 2013. Are you able to tell me where you found it? It would be great to be able to compare.

ghostinthecanvas Thu 27-Feb-14 11:19:30

Well now I am seriously pissed off at my joiner......we paid him plenty to fit the kitchen. angry Didn't think he made quite so much out of us buying it.

SidandAndyssextoy Thu 27-Feb-14 11:23:41

I don't blame you, ghost. My builder said people like your joiner give tradespeople a bad name.

Roller, my planner more or less suggested not buying their appliances. Based on the cost of a microwave (over £100!) I can imagine the prices are pretty silly.

Rollergirl1 Thu 27-Feb-14 11:52:38

I asked them to include appliances in the quote so I had a place to start. But yes they are ridiculous, �205 for the microwave! The cost of appliances in total is �2k so I am sure I could get cheaper sourcing myself.

The quote is for the handleless gloss range. I don't know where that sits for price within the other ranges but the cost for a 600 HL Base is coming in at �169.80 with a 70% discount. So that would put it at around �550 full price?

Rollergirl1 Thu 27-Feb-14 11:53:39

Don't know why my �'s are coming out like that....hmm

SidandAndyssextoy Thu 27-Feb-14 11:58:16

Are you on the app? It does odd things.

That's more than the Tewksbury in the list posted earlier, and I thought they were the most expensive doors, so prices have really taken a hike if so.

Rollergirl1 Thu 27-Feb-14 12:28:45

No i'm not, very odd...

Yes I noticed that. That's why it would be handy to see the price list that Cretaceous has.

Cretaceous Thu 27-Feb-14 12:42:56

Re price list, it's got a sticker on it indicating that I picked it up from a branch of Howdens. It is labelled trade only, but must have just been lying on the side. Some branches maybe have price lists out and others don't, but you should be able to pick up the latest one, or your builder should.

The "gloss integrated handle ranges" are second only to Tewkesbury in price. 600 hiline base unit is down as £514. Perhaps they change the prices regularly between catalogues, so they can claim discounts.

We got our last kitchen from Wickes in the end, because with all the discounts, the appliances were really good value. But each time we've had a new kitchen (moved a lot!), our choice has been influenced by having an organised, helpful designer and negotiating a good discount. Ex kitchen fitters have been the best for us. Our Howdens quote person this time was very young and I didn't get the impression he cooked!

The pullout larder units etc really increase the cost, sadly. Standard units are so much cheaper, as that is how the companies compare prices to make it look like a good deal <old cynic emoticon>.

Rollergirl1 Thu 27-Feb-14 12:54:17

Thanks for that Cretaceous. So it sounds like the builder is passing on his discount to me which is good to know and adds to my confidence that he's not trying to stitch me up!

Cretaceous Thu 27-Feb-14 13:03:55

I think the thing is, you don't know whether the builder is getting an 80% discount, but Howdens is giving you the 70% discount invoice. wink

(Am just joking here, as if you've got a builder on recommendation, I'm sure you are fine. It's just that Howdens does seem to give dodgy people an opportunity to take advantage. We got quotes for my mum, and couldn't go on recommendations, as she doesn't live near us. We certainly were a magnet for dodgy characters, but luckily got a good one in the end.)

Pinkje Thu 27-Feb-14 13:21:47

If you're happy to mix and match, why not look at the new ikea range. It has a similar look I think.

SidandAndyssextoy Thu 27-Feb-14 17:08:50

My builder says he hates Ikea! Nightmare to fit apparently. It's not the first time I've heard this either.

I'm waiting for the quote and then, when I'm happy with what is being quoted for, I send him into battle to get the best price.

ivykaty44 Fri 28-Feb-14 18:57:17

Do IKEA units come flat pack or ready assembled?

SidandAndyssextoy Fri 28-Feb-14 19:58:14

Flat pack.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now