Can you wall mount a tv and have nowt else showing?

(22 Posts)
moondog Fri 17-May-13 18:28:24

Just a couple of remote controls?

Sonnet Fri 17-May-13 18:33:51

What as in no wires, trunking etc?

moondog Fri 17-May-13 18:39:05

I know you can have all the wires put into th wall but what aqbout those boxes?
Do you need them?
<clueless>

Gobbolinothewitchscat Italy Fri 17-May-13 18:41:33

My mum and dad have done this but needed wiring behind the plaster. Looks fab though and I am well jel

We have our bedroom tv wall mounted (yes, I know this is chavvy, thank you ). Sadly, we have a Victorian semi so if we attempted anything like my parents, all the plaster would fall off and wed need the whole room refine by the time we dealt with the corresponding cracking as well!

Depends which 'boxes' you have.
If you have a TV with freeview built in then you get your digital channels via that and don't need a box. However many people have sky (which needs its own box) or a separate freeview box. Other 'boxes' you may have/need are a DVD player/games console that plays DVDs, surround sound etc. it's rare to have a TV setup that doesn't have a extra 'box' or two but its not impossible, its your choice. If all you want your tv to do is show TV channels, and if you don't play games consoles, and if you don't watch DVDs and if you have freeview built Into your TV, then you won't need any extra boxes.
Because its likely you will need some of them at least, mount your tv on the wall and run long cables in the wall to a place where your extras are (such as a cabinet etc). Just remember that you'll likely need to be able to point a remote control at the boxes so don't put them somewhere totally out of the way or covered up!

moondog Fri 17-May-13 18:49:53

Thanks Merkin (and Gobbo)That is very useful.
No not gamer,s or dvd watchers. Occasionally watch tv and sick of all the wires and dust.
Can you subscribe to something where you can see films if you want?
I'm thinking of my kids, not really me.

spotty26 Fri 17-May-13 18:56:18

Just have your socket re routed to behind your tv then. Not an expensive job really.

ItsAllTLAsToMe Fri 17-May-13 20:35:16

Does anyone know if you can have a glass fronted unit that the remote control works through for boxes? (I suspect not)

TheDetective Fri 17-May-13 20:54:35

I'll put a picture up of mine for you if you like. Wall mounted, wires in to wall, boxes next to it in small unit. No wires on show at all.

ItsAllTLAsToMe Fri 17-May-13 21:09:12

I'd like to see your photo Detective smile! Thank you.

TheDetective Fri 17-May-13 21:22:59

I just took one, but it won't let you put pictures on here from your mobile! Raaaah.

Anyone know how to get pictures from an iphone on here?!

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 17-May-13 21:25:20

I have a desire to box mine in behind mirrored glass, so it looks like a mirror over the fire when not in use.

LuisGarcia Fri 17-May-13 22:04:33

"Anyone know how to get pictures from an iphone on here?!" Photobucket should do it

TheDetective Fri 17-May-13 22:15:34

Waves at Luis Get back in the kitchen!

Thanks though!

LuisGarcia Fri 17-May-13 22:26:11

grin

TheDetective Fri 17-May-13 22:29:55

Photobucket didn't work!

LuisGarcia Fri 17-May-13 22:33:32

sad

Why not?

test

TheDetective Fri 17-May-13 22:54:00

No option to upload from mobile!

fapl Sat 18-May-13 00:13:16

You want what I have grin

We got a joiner to custom build a cabinet that our tv can be hidden in behind sliding doors, and below are cabinets which hold our boxes. Remote controls work through glass. Our glass is frosted so you cannot see the boxes. I don't think you can use mirrored glass as it reflects the rays. A number of people have visited my house and think we don't have a TV. I find it weird that people actively wonder where our television is and feel the need to comment.

The only thing we didn't do was rip the plaster out to hide the cables, we used this stuff www.johnlewis.com/avf-jza200-cable-management-white/p231473795

spotty26 Sat 18-May-13 06:57:47

It used to really annoy me that my mum had our tv in a telly cabinet. I thought it was poncey and silly to hide the telly when everyone knew it was in there. Now I have an equally poncey vintage linen press/ armoire thingy where I hide our tv when it is not in use behind the closed doors. The Apple does not fall far from the tree!

moondog Sat 18-May-13 08:05:33

Ooh yes Detective. Let's have a look!
I live in a modern centrally heated house with no chimney.
I loathe my modern fireplace so figure might as well have the tv there.
I have to have it as unobtrusive as possible though.
Loathe clutter of any sort.

moondog Sat 18-May-13 14:54:15

??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now