What do you have on your stairs that isn't carpet?

(20 Posts)
DameFanny Fri 08-Mar-13 19:45:58

<bookmarks sisal site>

We have varnish - but flooring stuff that's not as slippy?

Oh those sisal things look nice. Wonder how easy they are to clean?

Three or four coats of yacht varnish on top of the paint - still looks good several years later. We don't wear shoes in the house though, maybe that helps.

Rubber, aluminium? Never seen such a thing we are all provincial round here.

MothershipG Fri 08-Mar-13 18:49:27

OMG! Unrequited I do not want to be trying to get the black dog hair off those!!! - But thanks for trying to be helpful, unlike some of you, mentioning no names... ( Lancelottie, starfish etc.) wink

So no one has rubber or aluminium or anything else equally fancy???

UnrequitedSkink Fri 08-Mar-13 18:19:04

Ha, I did read that and wonder what you meant! grin

UnrequitedSkink Fri 08-Mar-13 18:18:38

Like these

starfishmummy Fri 08-Mar-13 18:16:55

Water damage. We do not have a theater in or house blush

UnrequitedSkink Fri 08-Mar-13 18:16:22

Ours are painted white with curved sisal stair treads stuck on them. I think they look quite smart...I'll see if I can find a link to what I mean.

starfishmummy Fri 08-Mar-13 18:16:11

Pipkins I feel better now. grin

We had to rid or carpet up due theater damage; It's about 9 months for us.

Abzs Fri 08-Mar-13 18:14:12

I would have paint, but DH isn't keen and whichever idiot laminated the hall floor cut it up to the stair carpet so there would be a stupid gap if I took the carpet off.

Instead I have horrible old green carpet and cat hair. Except on the top landing, because the cat destroyed it and I had to take up that section. There I have painted it white but the floorboards are also crappy.

HSMMaCM Fri 08-Mar-13 18:09:28

Ours our varnished and anyone who usesythem in socks is asking for trouble.

Lancelottie Fri 08-Mar-13 18:07:23

Ours currently have one cat, two homework bags and most of the laundry [unhelpful]

MothershipG Fri 08-Mar-13 18:04:20

Pipkins Scruffy paint, coffee stains and dog hair here! But you're not helping, I need suggestions, not other people who are as lazy as me! wink

PipkinsPal Fri 08-Mar-13 17:59:13

Scruffy paint, tea splashes and cat fluff. I ripped up the nasty nylon orange and brown carpet years ago and haven't got around to getting my hall, stairs and landing decorated and carpeted yet (lazy cow). grin

MothershipG Fri 08-Mar-13 17:56:05

grin Queef Yes! The dog hairs and DH's hairs are what make hoovering carpeted stairs such a pain, so much easier with a hard surface!

captainmummy Fri 08-Mar-13 17:55:36

you can get a wooden covering for the treads (professional job) which i love the look of, but with 3 boys who never bother with slippers, i think it's a death wish.
I'm going for carpet againwhen i get rid ofthe royal blue monstrosity in hall, stairs,landing...

MothershipG Fri 08-Mar-13 17:53:31

I did paint mine with floor paint, but after about 6 months it is already looking scratched and scruffy (and my smallest dog doesn't like how it feels and we have to carry him up & down. grin)

QueefLatina Fri 08-Mar-13 17:53:03

Paint and dog hairs!

I fall down my stairs a lot too.

Ours are bare boards, but painted a pale yellow and varnished. They look very nice, though they are a bit noisy even with slippers on. They are also a bit slippy, and I had to put sandpaper type strips along the edges of the treads after slipping down them twice. blush

MothershipG Fri 08-Mar-13 16:34:55

On my first flight of stairs I have a lovely blue stripy carpet - which I absolutely hate, loath and detest having to hoover! So now I have a second set of stairs, since having the loft done about 3 years ago that are still bare boards (not wood) and am determined that carpet shall not darken their treads.

So what hard wearing, non-slippy covering is suitable. I have bamboo, marmoleum and cork elsewhere in the house but not sure any of these would be suitable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now