Easiest way to strip paint?

(29 Posts)

We are going to be decorating soonish and need to strip off paint from woodwork and a radiator. My usual approach is just to paint over it, but I fear that this wont do this time.

Dh has what I think is a bonkers idea of sanding it all (off a door and skirting boards?????) I think chemicals are the way to go, but what about a heat gun. House is 1950s or 60s (can't remember which!), so there might be lead underneath.

Thanks!

Cool.

I've discovered that there are patches where the paint has decided to already lift from the skirting board right back to bare wood!!! So I can just sit there and idly pull off chunks. The original paint seems to be pale green and nothing like modern paint.

PigletJohn Thu 21-Feb-13 11:33:07

you won't strip the paint off a radiator, all you can do is rub the surface smooth and take off the gloss for repainting.

Gardening gloves!!
Mind you it's fine wire wool, so it might not be up to the job.....

PigletJohn Wed 20-Feb-13 23:53:54

And gloves.

Or bloodstains.

I have wire wool so I can get started on that right away smile ( well not at 11 pm, but soon!)

PigletJohn Wed 20-Feb-13 15:48:32

radiators, more or less impossible. Rub then down with wire wool (not sandpaper) or buy new ones. They should be repainted in satinwood, not gloss and not emulsion. Rust patches should be brushed clean and treated with metal preservative primer first.

Woodwork, sand off or use a hot air gun if too thick and blobby.

I think my plan is, to try and strip it first and if its too much hassle and I lose the will to live then I'm going to paint over it.

RosyRoo Wed 20-Feb-13 10:28:38

To dramatically change the colour of gloss paint you have to bring it up through several different colours. Ask in a trade paint shop and they'll tell you how. For example, I changed a door from black to red, going through grey.

ParsingFancy Wed 20-Feb-13 10:28:09

Home Strip also very good and neutralised with water. No fumes, not a problem if you get it on skin.

Noodled Wed 20-Feb-13 10:21:51

Kling or ecostrip ... don't sand especially if you have children. Lead paint is horribly toxic and children are much more susceptible.

We had that with one sort of paint lola, It seems as if it wasnt compatible with the paint we painted over. I'm only hoping that dh can remember which sort that was so we dont make the same mistake again!

lolalotta Wed 20-Feb-13 06:27:35

Be wary of painting over existing paint, the house we are moving into has to have all to woodwork overhauled as the top cost of paint is chipping off existing layers very badly...perhaps it is just because the decorators were doing a cheap job and didn't sand it all to provide a key for the paint to adhere properly to IYKWIM?

I think some experimenting is in order!

DameFanny Tue 19-Feb-13 20:37:53

Kling strip is neutralised with the water - it's nothing like the gel removers, more like putty and feels as inert.

If it's gloss paint (which I assume it is on radiators etc.), I don't see why not. It'd take a few coats. But I have painted over dark brown with white and it was fine, just took three good coats. Test a bit in a corner first?

Lola, normally we just get paint all over the carpet blush but we are getting a new carpet so we are pulling up the old one first.

LRD, is it possible to paint over very bright colours? Because if we can then I would be happy to do that!

Do you really need to sand it off completely? I'd just wash it down with sugar soap (which will make in nice and rough so the new paint will stick), and then wash it thoroughly. No hard scrubbing with sandpaper.

lolalotta Tue 19-Feb-13 17:34:39

Dame did you need to neutralise the surface of the woodwork after using Kling-Strip & washing down before re-painting? Been having a google and have seen it mentioned and just wondering what your experience was? Thank you!

lolalotta Tue 19-Feb-13 17:05:52

Ohhhhh, thank you for the tip about Kling-Strip, will be investigating further, we are purchasing a property that needs all the woodwork stripping and re-painting, gulp!!! shock
Just wondering how to deal with the bits where skirting meets carpet... I am new to this DIY stuff, lol!

The heat guns are fine, we used one for the first time recently to strip a 200 year old banister (with about 500 layers of paint) and an old door (with at least 12 layers of gloss, maybe more) and it took that off quite well.

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 18-Feb-13 20:41:36

Marking place. I've used nitromors lots but the fumes are horrendous and i once got a splash burn from it. I will be googling too.

DameFanny Mon 18-Feb-13 20:37:05

I'm a bit evangelical about it after years of choking on nitromors grin

That sounds brilliant Dame! Exactly the sort of thing we are looking for, thank you!

DameFanny Mon 18-Feb-13 20:22:47

Google kling strip. It's a water based paste which you trowel on, cover with clingfilm and leave for a day or two. Eats through the paint layers - especially gloss -and then you just sort of pull everything off and wash it down with water.

Wonderful stuff doesn't burn your skin or get up your nose and can be used on plaster moulding too.

Only caution is that it will leave wood wetter than a gel, so careful you don't dig into the grain and let it air for a bit before re-painting or varnishing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now