About to go on the market. I need a list of what needs doing!

(21 Posts)
notnowbernard Thu 07-Feb-13 13:26:16

What should I be doing to prepare for a sell?

Tia!

jaynebxl Thu 07-Feb-13 13:34:54

We planned to do all sorts, repaint, totally declutter etc. in the end the house we wanted came on the market sooner than we were ready so we just had a general tidy and stuck it on the market. It sold in 3 days. My mate reckoned that if someone liked the house they would like it no matter what and see beyond your decor / clutter (within reason!).

specialsubject Thu 07-Feb-13 13:35:46

finish all outstanding DIY. Check 'kerb appeal' and freshen up if necessary. Big declutter and throw out - not only does this look better, it makes the big clean-up before viewings much easier.

if you have pets, find somewhere to feed and house them out of sight. If you smoke in the house, stop and have a deep clean.

arm yourself with information that buyers want to know - running costs are the main one.

good luck.

jaynebxl Thu 07-Feb-13 13:37:23

Ah yes we did spruce up the front garden and repaint the fence.

Bunbaker Thu 07-Feb-13 13:45:20

Apart from the usual stuff, attention to detail always helps - shiny taps, smarten up the grout round the bath/shower, pull the curtains right back for maximum daylight, put the heating on if it is a cold day, put the lights on if it is a dull day. I would even go as far as replacing light bulbs with higher wattage bulbs if necessary.

notnowbernard Thu 07-Feb-13 13:49:23

Great ideas, thanks. Like the lightbulb one!

cheungowen Thu 07-Feb-13 14:00:38

When I sold my previous place, it was like a show room...LOL
Everything was washed and put away each night.
I never bought so much window cleaner, I was spraying and wiping!!!

Fresh flowers will make the place look good, lamps that come on during the day on a timer, had a large bowl full of fake fruits that looked like they were on streroids, and declutter, you, may think it's homely but other ppl will think it's junk and clutter ..... you want to make the place feel as big as possible.

notnowbernard Thu 07-Feb-13 14:03:36

Space...

Will need to shove toys under beds!

Get a friend to come round and look at it objectively (like a buyer would). That'll help you to see all the stuff that you've long stopped noticing.

CuddyMum Thu 07-Feb-13 14:29:49

I am now looking for a house (after a long time of being on the other side as a seller) and for me I would pay particular attention to cleanliness of things like doors, skirting boards, light switches, kitchens, bathrooms, windows. Finish off any minor DIY jobs. Show that your house has been cared for and well maintained. As cheungowen said above, I too have never been through so much window cleaner, flowers and fruit.

notnowbernard Thu 07-Feb-13 14:36:10

I will need to hide wires

Bung crap under beds

Have done recent painting in preparation

Must tidy front and back gardens

jaynebxl Thu 07-Feb-13 14:49:57

CuddyMum I'm really interested to know why you will be so interested in the cleanliness of doors etc? For me that's not what I looked at ... those things don't have much impact on what the house is actually like, and you can do it your own way easily once you've moved in.

Toomuchtea Thu 07-Feb-13 15:50:46

Ah, now I'm not so bothered about general cleanliness. What I would be grilling you about would be the roof and gutters, and what you'd done in the way of general maintenance. If you've done a lot of work, it might be worth having the invoices/specifications out for people to look at, or make sure the EA is fully aware of what you've had done.

ISeeSmallPeople Thu 07-Feb-13 17:21:16

Empty all fitted cupboards even the horror under the stairs Throw out all old stuff, from clothes to food.
Refill cupboards tidily.

Anything that is built in is fair game to be opened. If it all falls on top of the viewers they will think you have storage issues and the place is too small.

Bright lightbulbs. And make sure the agent knows how to turn the lights on, in the odd places that don't have light like the dark corner where you have a floor operated button for the up lighter

Put the loo seat down. Train everyone smile

I had a nice box in every room, which fitted nicely into a cupboard for viewings. Put daily life clutter into box, & put box away.So, all bathroom clutter lived in the box, and before viewings box including currently used towels & tootbrushes are shoved tidily into a cupboard and replaced with the pristine set of towels and posh hand wash that no one is allowed to actually use.

In the bedrooms, I had a lovely throw and cushions and made the bed every morning. In the kids rooms, I would take the hideous character duvets & pillows that they love off their beds, fold & put in the wardrobe & replace with the white pristine already made up ironed set from the wardrobe.

In a viewing emergency shove the ironing/laundry, lego etc in the car. Park car around corner grin

ISeeSmallPeople Thu 07-Feb-13 17:23:13

I too look at cleanliness of doors and lightswitches. Can't help it landlady & ex inventory clerk. I hate seeing dirt on them & it stands out to me as looking grubby. I know it can be cleaned, but think if they havent cleaned there that there will be other horrors lurking.

CuddyMum Thu 07-Feb-13 18:10:25

ISeeSmallPe

Virgil Thu 07-Feb-13 18:14:47

Wen we sold our house I borrowed loads of staging bits and pieces from my DP and DSis to make our house look better. Things like pictures mirrors etc. their houses looked rubbish for a few weeks but ours sold really quickly grin

specialsubject Thu 07-Feb-13 18:58:22

gutters etc are a very good point, also age and maintenance of boiler.

People can see past your clutter, but I saw a few houses where there was SO MUCH JUNK that I wondered if they were actually serious about moving. Months on, it seems that they weren't...

ISeeSmallPeople Thu 07-Feb-13 19:04:22

If its filled with junk, people will look at the next or make a very low offer.

For my most recent purchase I saw past the junk, excess furniture, artex ceilings, mouldy bathrooms and flea infested headache inducing carpets. But got a huge amount off the asking price for it. Four skips and a decorator plumber and plasterer later it looks lovely.

CuddyMum Thu 07-Feb-13 19:45:59

ISeeSmallPeople has expanded on my need to see clean paintwork smile

MrsJamin Thu 07-Feb-13 19:49:52

Best advice we had for our house was to make sure all of the children's things and toys were in their room only- the rest of the house, you would hardly know children lived here. Because we knew we would be likely to sell to FTBs without children, otherwise people wouldn't be able to imagine living here otherwise. Plus what everyone else said about decluttering and cleaning. We repainted most of the woodwork as it had really yellowed, thus making it feel freshly done. We sold in 10 days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now