I just can't choose a kitchen style- running out of time!

(47 Posts)
Lily15 Fri 01-Feb-13 09:34:12

We are renovating and extending a 50's bungalow. Our kitchen/diner is the next step but I just keep going round in circles about the design. I love the white gloss streamlined look with white tops and feel this would work better overall in this style home. But I always wanted a modern take on a country kitchen (white wood cabinets, chrome cup handles) All I know for certain is we are having a range master Toledo xt and niveus karndean flooring! Help! I have no idea what to go for (DH not fussed) There isn't room for an island (it's L shaped with the sink sitting in the bay of the bottom of the L) thanks looking forward to inspiration!!

fossil971 Sun 03-Feb-13 21:08:39

Have we moved on from the basic style? There is a style of slab doors with a softly curved edge called "Saponetta" (like a bar of soap) which Howdens do, probably other mfrs as well. It has a bit of the 1950s about it I think. It must be getting more popular because looking on the website it now comes in four finishes. Kind of modern without being excessively shiny and boxy.

cjel Sun 03-Feb-13 19:56:59

Not sure what its called laminate I think? Have a feeling it was formica in the old days! Always think of laminate as flooring.! Sorry to be dense, have so many different things in head!!

nemno Sun 03-Feb-13 18:55:41

Thank you FriskyMare. It would be exactly the right thing if I can get a pop-up waste instead of a kitchen sink basket plug. This is proving to be the difficult bit in my search.

cece Sun 03-Feb-13 18:52:11

I also prefer the eye level built in ovens, easier to use and look nicer imo.

cece Sun 03-Feb-13 18:50:28

I have white high gloss and walnut worktops - pics on profie.

Easy to clean as the doors are flat.
Worktop needs occasional oiling but not really much effort to do it every now and again.

My friends has the creamy coloured high gloss kitchen from Wickes and that is also very nice. She has beige and turquoise tiles with it, which are lovely.

cjel Sun 03-Feb-13 18:33:34

Just thought of something else that I wouldn't be without!!! Pyrolitic cleaning ovens!!!

noddyholder Sun 03-Feb-13 18:32:27

cjel what is a normal worktop?

FriskyMare Sun 03-Feb-13 18:26:52

nemno - we googled and got Direct Kitchen Worktops, you can do an online estimate but we had the full templating job done. The installers were Whitehall Fabrication (based in Leeds), we are really impressed with the results.

cjel Sun 03-Feb-13 18:16:26

Have built 2 kitchens from nothing one a 30ft square in a house we built ourselves. Cream matt country style, built in dresser leaded glass with lights inside, 10ft by 4ft island with iroko wood top. two side by side eye level ovens wouldnt want to bend!! Built hob into false chimney breast.Sinks sunk into worktops yuk gets dirt trapped under join. Dark brown granite worktops round the edge. Wood was fantastic only oiled once a year, Granite a nightmare chipped and couldn't stop watermarks and because it was mottled only saw bits of food when we walked away. Matt doors also needed scrubbing clean. Now have kitchen half the size and chosen mocca gloss flat doors with big square knobs in shiny chrome with 'normal' worktops. Marvellous!! although shiny shows the marks they are sooo easy to wipe and get back to clean. Also had non slip ceramic floor tiles in previous kitchen which were really hard to scrub marks from. Have now gone for wood effect vinyl and as with doors needs no scrubbing its amazing how much hard work it was to look after other kitchen - I thought we were just a dirty family!!! Don't know if any of that helps, (I do know of a corian worktop that is very stained! }Hope you enjoy choosing!!!

NorthernNumpty Sun 03-Feb-13 17:53:24

Another rangemaster hater here! We have a 900 wide one (didnt choose it was in when we bought house) but as said above the vents drive me nuts! I dread to think how many bits of chopped onion and grains of rice are down there. The door is awful and swings shut. The shelves don't pull out easily.

If it has to be a range, look for something with telescopic shelf rails as it is difficult enough to get hot heavy stuff out from floor levelgrin

I loved my white gloss kitchen with black granite tops in my old house. Coveting a mixed gloss and wood one with corian tops for this house when we have saved some pennies.

nemno Sun 03-Feb-13 17:44:29

FriskyMare Can you tell me the online corian (or similar) worktop company name please. I am looking for a short section of worktop with an integral basin for my bathroom . Or if anyone has recommendations for a company that can supply a quartz/corian/other worktop (possibly undermounted basin) I would be very grateful. I live in Berkshire if this is relevant.

Sorry to hijack. My thoughts on a kitchen are currently pro matt cream units, corian surface!

FriskyMare Sun 03-Feb-13 17:06:58

Joycey we have vanilla corian, one of the cheapest colours thankfully. We were sent some little samples from an online worktop company. Nothing seems to mark it (we are a very messy family) and you absolutely cannot see the joins. Amazing.

Joycey29 Sat 02-Feb-13 17:41:57

Hey Frisky - which colour corian did you have???

agree Corian is fantastic, we had it in our old house with integrated Corian sink, no marks, no stains, white and perfect! We are now thinking about our new kitchen, which will be white Corian worktops, with oak floor, jungle green glass splashbacks and (if we can find them) modern looking oak units. Want a papered feature wall too if i can find something suitable. I love thinking about kitchens, a pinterest board is useful. :-)

FriskyMare Fri 01-Feb-13 19:00:16

Joycey we have just completed our Glendevon kitchen, cream with integarated handles and gets excited a near as dammit matching corian worktop. The corian is definitely worth the money!

MarianForrester Fri 01-Feb-13 18:55:05

Oops, really came on to say DH has got his spirit level out (!) and the blooming thing is absolutely and completely level, doors and all.

Sigh. Thanks, tho.

And good luck with kitchen quest op.

MarianForrester Fri 01-Feb-13 18:52:50

I perhaps stir too vigorously smile

perrinelli Fri 01-Feb-13 18:05:45

We've had our rangemaster excel for 3 yrs now and it's fab. There are vents at the back but I don't find it an issue. Hth!

Joycey29 Fri 01-Feb-13 17:42:45

We ve gone for Glendevon from Howdens. It has sleek lines and curves and we are having corian worktops.

Looked at Toledo but have gone for Rangemaster Professional Deluxe in Cranberry - ( note accent colourwink)

Cream and cranberry with Karndean Parquet floor.

Burst pipe last July and this new kitchen is only highlight after 9 months in rented!

annalouiseh Fri 01-Feb-13 17:41:31

Lily send me your email address and ill send you some pics of a matt white lacquer with white quartz top my dh has just done.
It does have lime green back splash and looks fab, not for all but looks good.
materials all depends where you get your matt.
Most companies use vinyl/foil, has a slight texture so check that first
A lot of the higher end companies use a lacquer.
German companies like schuller use a lacquer, uk diy stores and ikea, howdens etc dont

MarianForrester Fri 01-Feb-13 17:37:29

Ooh, that's a good idea, thanks- will check that.

betterwhenthesunshines Fri 01-Feb-13 17:29:56

Marian have you checked your range is level? It sounds as though it might be slightly tilted backwards or sideways and that could be why the door is swinging shut?

Lily15 Fri 01-Feb-13 16:48:10

Wood tops are so tempting but im so worried about them gettig stained! I spend all my time on houzz already!

Lily15 Fri 01-Feb-13 16:44:35

I'm being totally naive here is Matt the same as gloss without the shine? The same materials etc

Sillybillypoopoomummy Fri 01-Feb-13 16:44:04

get thee to ikea - they do fab, white gloss units and wooden worktop combo which looks fab. It has modernity/lightness coupled with an element of warmth from the wood :-) Guaranteed for 25 years too! however, get accessories ie handles etc from somewhere else so it doesn't look like a showroom! We have a wooden floor too. We agonised for ages over the wooden tops as thought they would be really high maintainence/we would be neurotic about them but actually I just oiled them loads at the beginning and they still look great after 3 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now