Relocating and need advice on villages nr Macclesfield

(37 Posts)
freckles66 Wed 30-Jan-13 22:10:58

Hi, I am new to the site and I am looking for advice on a possible relocation (husbands job in Macclesfield) my husband doesnt want to be driving much more than 30 mins to get to work. We have looked at Congleton, Biddulph, Middlewich and Northwich - mainly because these are the areas we can afford as looking for a 4 bed.

I have an 11 yr old son and an 8yr old daughter so would like somewhere with facilities within a 3-5 mile drive if in a village. I can drive so wouldnt mind being in a countryfied place as long as I wasnt driving over 1/2hr to get to a supermarket/family facilities.

I would appreciate any comments x

MrsTMD Thu 07-Feb-13 22:48:57

My brother has only just moved from wold road so not too far away from u.i have 2 children 5 and nearly 2 yrs old.we walk to school, i can walk into the centre of town and i can walk to the leisure centre from where i am.i am glad i moved...i like living in congleton and have so far found it really friendly.only downside is i do have to drive to macc or stoke for cinema etc and bigger shopping places.but its only about 20 mins so not too bad and am only an hour from trafford centre.x

freckles66 Fri 08-Feb-13 23:47:12

I wouldn't mind driving 20 mins I suppose that is only like driving to Kingswood from me which is where all facilities are. What are the schools like in Congleton and are there good bus routes - just thinking in a couple of years when my son will be wanting to go off on his own!

What are the schools like in Congleton?

I do worry about how I will cope - I am quite a social person but I realise we won't really have any social life for quite a while until we make real friends sad

kissmyheathenass Sat 09-Feb-13 15:11:20

Carlajean, do you know Macc well? Can you tell me more please? smile

kissmyheathenass Sat 09-Feb-13 15:14:02

Freckles, we have alot of friends here - in fact just off to a party in a minute - dcs will sleep over and we can all have a few drinks. We have a small crowd of close friends here which all stems from a few friends I made at toddler group5 yeatrs ago. Several of th women have become really colse friends, our dhs are all chummy and dcs all friends too. I will have to start again when we move. sad

carlajean Sat 09-Feb-13 15:39:09

I'm really sorry, but I can't say anything too useful. We left the area 17 years ago, but remember Macc as having plenty to do, being easily accessable for other areas, and having a nice feel to it, whereas Prestbury was just a posh village.

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 09-Feb-13 16:55:57

The schools in Congleton are Ok. However Holmes Chapel has a very good secondary. In Congleton you are also close to Stoke-on Trent too. There is a bus to Hanley or you can get a train to Manchester. Congleton is perhaps seen as not as posh as Macclesfield.

emark Sat 09-Feb-13 19:28:14

macclesfield has a small cinema 1 screen. ten pin bowling lots of pubs but very little else. the schools are not great for primary or secondary. the big plus point is commutable to Manchester.
house prices very varied depending on the area as several estate type areas.
hope that helps.

RCheshire Sat 09-Feb-13 19:43:37

Would disagree to a degree on Macc schools emark. Several primaries are considered good and Fallibroom secondary is v highly regarded. Also kings for private primary or secondary. For the better state schools you want to be west of town.

emark Sat 09-Feb-13 19:55:56

fallibroome is very difficult to enter unless in a feeder primary. The high schools in wilmslow and poynton are both outstanding with excellent primaries reputation .
there are also many excellent inde schools available. you are correct with some excellent primaries however these are vastly over subscribed and difficult to join mid year especially with more than one child.
the recent changes to schools closing or amalgamating have not helped.

DameSaggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 09-Feb-13 20:07:28

I'd definitely choose Leek over Biddulph if you were looking the Stoke side of Macc. You then have the Peak District 15 minutes drive one way and Stoke 15 minutes the other and still an easy drive to Manchester.

Buxton lovely too but Buxton to Macc often cut off in the winter.

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 09-Feb-13 21:15:47

Oh yes. The cat and fiddle road is always closing over winter.

carlajean Sun 10-Feb-13 11:38:15

Macc does have a good film club though (though I'm not sure if that'll swing it wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now