If you love London but cant afford to live there, where would you go?

(120 Posts)
kissmyheathenass Mon 28-Jan-13 11:08:58

Having moved away 14 years ago, we are totally priced out of the London housing market. I am so so bored with where I live, (south coast dull retiremnt place) I yearn for city life. Where can I find a city like London but with lower prices (350,000 ish for a family house) AND good schools - primary and secondary.

whatmattersmore Tue 29-Jan-13 21:47:53

I have to admit I share the opinions about being in the London suburbs - it seems to be what most London families do, but it's definitely a different lifestyle than being in zone 1/2. I've always lived centrally so I've got used to the small flat/no garden way of life - and I'd always rather take that over a bigger house out in zone 4/5. You can adapt your way of living pretty well, even with more kids and the need for office space.

I'd go for something like this or this. It's not to everyone's taste but it depends what your priorities are.

DewDr0p Tue 29-Jan-13 22:37:17

OP I suppose Liverpool is a bit wet but significantly less wet and cold than Manchester ime grin. It very much has its own sense of identity and people really are very friendly.

Going by our local news, gun crime seems to have subsided massively in Nottingham in the last few years but I know what you mean!

Levantine Wed 30-Jan-13 13:51:43

I wouldn't have thought you would do much better than whatmatters flat in Clapham North. I would prioritise location over period/kerb appeal. We rented a big victorian house in a not great part of zone 3 I thought it was miserable.

LadyWellian Wed 30-Jan-13 14:14:25

I'm not quite getting why Clapham North (zone 2, 14 mins to London Bridge) is seen as central whereas Brockley (zone 2, 8 mins to London Bridge) is seen as the suburbs.

I'm rather impressed with whatmatters's Marylebone flat, though. I could definitely handle a morning run round Regent's Park rather than (my beloved) Hilly Fields!

Nancy66 Wed 30-Jan-13 14:47:59

that's not a part of Clapham I'd want to live near...it's either just behind or part of a council estate were there is a lot of gang crime/trouble.

FlouncingMintyy Wed 30-Jan-13 16:41:05

(Apols for further thread hijacking but just wanted to thank LadyW for the fab links! I love the Christmas house! Am thinking of moving from ED.)

Have you had any further thoughts op?

Southeastdweller Wed 30-Jan-13 19:23:50

ladywellian I think it's because Brockley feels suburban whereas Clapham definitely does not.

FlouncingMintyy Wed 30-Jan-13 19:53:09

Clapham is everything I hate about London (and I have lived here all my adult life). It would be bottom of my list of destinations ... yes, even after Newham or Deptford or Dollis Hill or any of those other zone 3 no-mans-lands.

lalalonglegs Wed 30-Jan-13 20:42:59

Blimey Mintyy, I live in Clapham and, while I don't think it's all that (definitely not as great as the property prices would imply), what upsets you so much about it? It can definitely be a bit smug but it's/we're not that bad grin.

LadyW: I think the train times are a bit misleading. I've just looked on the rail website and there are four trains an hour at this time of night from Brockley, there are probably more likely to be at least 10 or 12 from Clapham North. The underground is more reliable than the overground - I have rarely known a train go straight into a major railway terminus, there is usually several minutes a couple of hundred metres away waiting for a free platform especially during rush hour.

MissBetseyTrotwood Wed 30-Jan-13 20:44:48

I'd move back to Manchester in a shot. Except all our family are around London.

Levantine Wed 30-Jan-13 21:26:03

I get where you're coming from mintyy, I feel like that about east dulwich a bit - I think you have similair views, don't meant to offend. I would hate to leave in that between the commons bit, but I really don't think the rest of it is that bad.

ladywellian I am roughly a neighbour of yours, but I kind of agree with lala, though the east London line is tube like enough to feel okay

Southeastdweller Wed 30-Jan-13 21:40:27

New overground line is fine but problem is is that it doesn't go through central London.

FlouncingMintyy Wed 30-Jan-13 22:03:59

Yes, definitely feeling jaded about ED! Not offended at all grin.

Lala - There's just so much traffic and too many Hooray Henrys in Clapham. And, sure, there is the common, but its not exactly charming is it? Just a huge flat piece of grass bisected by roads. But, no offence (as my 9 year old ds would say!).

lalalonglegs Wed 30-Jan-13 22:12:59

None taken smile. The common is weirdly flat and uninteresting, there are lots of wealthy people who live in their own little self-regarding bubbles but they're generally ok once you get to know them. And you can learn a lot about pointless house improvements living in this area grin.

Ridersofthestorm Wed 30-Jan-13 22:20:26

Liverpool, Liverpool, Liverpool!!! Great city, great nightlife, full of life and energy. There are some great places to live too it's not all poor and run down. If you like bohemian bars and restaurants on your doorstep try lark lane/Sefton park area (ten min drive from city centre too).

kissmyheathenass Wed 30-Jan-13 23:24:03

Right then - thanks everone
these are my shortlisted places - have spent hours googling, on zoopla, rightmove etc. How the bugger did we manage before internet?

Liverpool (lovely school, St Michaels, in Crosby, does that count?)
Sheffield - thanks for list Mumzy
Newcastle becuase I love the Geordie accent most of all
Leeds - my young, gorgeous cousin lives there and will hate me for stalking him and ruining his crred
Birmingham - have to convice dh on this one but I think it looks great.

Mosman Thu 31-Jan-13 02:22:57

Liverpool, Liverpool, Liverpool!!!

Assuming you don't need a local job of course, unless you work in the public sector but even they are becoming quite scare.

PrincessOfChina Thu 31-Jan-13 07:19:39

I would choose Sheffield or Birmingham.

I grew up just outside Sheffield and its a fab city. It's grown up so much in the last 10 years or so too and seems to be a really fun place to live.

Birmingham is my home now. I would never have expected to end up here but I love it.

MegBusset Thu 31-Jan-13 07:44:49

Norwich is fantastic and has loads going on but it's not the slightest bit like London. I moved here from London two years ago and am just about getting over the culture shock grin

Sarah3736 Thu 17-Oct-13 13:12:53

Hi,

Did you move from out of London? I am making a film for the BBC with Evan Davis about people who have been priced out of London, i'd be very keen to speak to anyone whose experienced this in the last couple of years.

Thanks a lot

Sarah

sarah.shebbeare@bbc.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now