If you love London but cant afford to live there, where would you go?

(120 Posts)
kissmyheathenass Mon 28-Jan-13 11:08:58

Having moved away 14 years ago, we are totally priced out of the London housing market. I am so so bored with where I live, (south coast dull retiremnt place) I yearn for city life. Where can I find a city like London but with lower prices (350,000 ish for a family house) AND good schools - primary and secondary.

lalalonglegs Tue 29-Jan-13 12:57:01

I used to live in Liverpool and went back twice recently. The city centre has transformed beyond all recognition but, as someone who lives in London and perhaps for the OP who lives in Bournemouth, a lot of the rest of it feels very poor and run down (in fact, I wondered how long the centre could keep going giving the income of most of the residents seems pretty low sad). It is buzzy though, a really strong identity, housing is extremely cheap even in the nice areas but it can be quite wet and you can get bloody strong winds coming off the Mersey.

guineapiglet Tue 29-Jan-13 12:57:18

Well I only know of the schools where my cousins went, ( Bradfield/Hillsboro' college,) as I said, my time there was well before kids. There were good schools in the Broomhill/Fulwood areas from memory, but you would need to get the advice of other locals to get up to date info.

PS. Yes. Liverpool and Manchester are wet!!!!smile

LadyWellian Tue 29-Jan-13 13:12:21

Right, didn't realise 'family house' meant quite that big!

How about this 5-bed in Blackheath - kids get a bedroom each, you can use the 5th bedroom for one office, and for the other one, either use the conservatory or build something in the 90' garden!

FlouncingMintyy Tue 29-Jan-13 13:21:40

LadyWellian - you are brilliant at finding properties! I am loving your links. Fancy finding something interesting in SE London near Sydenham/Forest Hill/Honor Oak/Brockley for me? Budget £650 thanks grin.

cantspel Tue 29-Jan-13 13:25:52

You would be hard pushed to find a family home for £350k in brighton. A 2 or 3 bed flat is more inline with that sort of money. £350k would buy a decnt 3 bed outside of brighton itself. Saltdean and further out. The trendies still say they live in brighton but the locals know they dont.

LadyWellian Tue 29-Jan-13 13:56:49

Ooh, Mintyy, I do love a chance to channel my inner Kirstie Allsop. Leave it with me - though boringly I have a meeting from 2.30 until 5 and I have to try and do some work first!

kissmyheathenass Tue 29-Jan-13 13:57:25

Mintyy envy at your budget!! I am sure you will find something amazing. Ladywellian is fab isnt she? (thank you LW, Boris should give you a job) Unfortunately I cant convince dh to look near London, he lived there for most of his life and we both agree it will be exciting to live somewhere different. He is keen to go North and has agreed on us having a dog as long as we have space!

TBH, Brighton, London, Homecounties etc, although lovely, dont offer us good value for money as we dont actually need to be anywhere near to London to work. In the North for our budget we can get a nice size house and still work just as effectively and keep our income the same.

Bugger the rain in Liverpool and Manchester, when we move and are mortgage free I want a horse but hate riding in the rain. Is Sheffield wet too?

lalalonglegs Tue 29-Jan-13 14:10:58

Another hmm - the house that LadyW found is near where I used to live and I would still describe that as not really London. It is close to Blackheath but doesn't feel like BH, it is in an area cut through with lots of big trunk roads and it seems as if everyone is just passing through/trying to get out of it. There was a very notorious secondary school (it could have turned round since) in the area and an estate with an even worse reputation. It is amazing value on paper though.

Mintyy - this thread has lots about Forest Hill. You might end up going head to head with the OP who has about the same budget grin.

Lostgirl27 Tue 29-Jan-13 14:16:45

Glasgow, west end in particular!!

Lostgirl27 Tue 29-Jan-13 14:17:03

Glasgow, west end in particular!!

Mosman Tue 29-Jan-13 14:20:30

If we moved back to the UK it would be to Birmingham or Manchester. The posh bits.

Mosman Tue 29-Jan-13 14:20:50

Oh or Glasgow.

kissmyheathenass Tue 29-Jan-13 16:08:23

Where are the posh bits in Birmingham? Im thinking Sutton Coldfield?

SwedishEdith Tue 29-Jan-13 16:16:52

Liverpool is not as wet as Manchester and has a stronger identity, I think

Mossley Hill area is lovely. Crosby good as well

DelGirl Tue 29-Jan-13 16:25:15

Never been to Birmingham myself but am I right in thinking Edgbaston is good? Could be wrong and i'm sure someone will say but some ok houses in that bracket though no idea of area

ethelb Tue 29-Jan-13 16:37:55

Manchester is great. Cardiff is really nice to though not as big a city. Both have affordable housing by London standards!

PartTimeModel Tue 29-Jan-13 16:41:18

I love London but I think Brighton is a hideous place - shame as I do love the sea side.

Watching with interest though.

noddyholder Tue 29-Jan-13 17:04:07

I have been renovating houses in Brighton since 1999. You can find bargains but have to be prepared to really look relentlessly and re model if you want to bring in a decent house in a good area for 350. But having said that I always have and have always sold them in days so it is a good place if you buy near good schools. I am hugely biased though as I love it here with all its faults and wouldn't consider London if it had even a sniff of suburbia which is what 350k would get you there. I would want a central cool location which is ££££££

drjohnsonscat Tue 29-Jan-13 17:14:28

I was going to say, surely that house is Kidbrooke not Blackheath and that's a very different kettle of fish dontcha know. Although I know the Kidbrooke is being redone so perhaps I am behind the times.

I was going to say Brighton which is defo a city. Feels like a city, has all the grime and argy bargy of a city. Is not Bath. I like Brighton.

PrincessOfChina Tue 29-Jan-13 17:33:51

Nice bits of Brum, IMO are Harborne, Bournville, and parts of Cotteridge, Kings Heath and Moseley. I am "against" Sutton Coldfield and Solihull as they're so bloody up themselves they fail to notice they're actually just a part of Birmingham.

I'm in sniffing distance of Bournville and it's great. Although the lack of pubs is not great we're well connected transport wise and lots of good schools and a real community feel.

Honestyisbest Tue 29-Jan-13 18:02:20

Buckinghamshire. The fast train to London takes 30 mins!

mumzy Tue 29-Jan-13 18:47:59

The top Sheffield schools i know of are: Silverdale, Tapton, high Storrs all comps and on the southside of the city. For 350k you can get a 3-4 bed house in the catchment areas of these schools. Good luck with your search

LadyWellian Tue 29-Jan-13 18:59:05

lalalonglegs I know what you mean about the main roads, though they have knocked down the estate and the school is now a 'co-operative' academy with fairly reasonable results. I wouldn't personally choose the Shooters Hill area but on the other hand, it's a pretty decent-looking 5-bed house overlooking a green space for £340k!

Mintyy, I'm sorry I haven't had as much time to look for you as I might have liked, owing to a work crisis hard on the heels of the very boring meeting.

Still, this looks really lovely (perhaps just my taste!), though I can't help feeling it's a tad overpriced. It'd be a shoo-in for Forest Hill Boys, though, which may be good for you.

This is detached - pretty rare - and has a gigantic hallway (nice for a Christmas tree) but some of the bedrooms look a bit small.

Leftfield alert: this one is completely about the location. It is definitely not a bargain.

Not much going in Brockley; this is best viewed as a project, though it's well inside your budget, so lots left over for renovations.

I was looking forward to this given your fairly generous budget, but there's not a lot out there at all (unless you want to move to East Dulwich, where it seems prices have dropped sufficiently that there are quite a few 4+ bed places within budget). Ask me again in a couple of months!

(Sorry for the derail, heathen, I know nowt about the North!)

lalalonglegs Tue 29-Jan-13 19:09:38

Ooooh, that first one is amazing. Wishing I lived in FH envy.

I agree with lalalonglegs about being out in some of the suburbs. We rent in zone 4 in a shithole area and when we move won't be coming back. It's a faff getting to and from further parts of the city (especially west London), there's nothing to do locally, and the anti-social behaviour from people here is horrible. Naturally it's relatively cheap - on a 350K budget you could easily get a four bedroom house here - but then as I've learned the hard way, rents and property prices aren't plucked out of thin air...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now