If you love London but cant afford to live there, where would you go?

(120 Posts)
kissmyheathenass Mon 28-Jan-13 11:08:58

Having moved away 14 years ago, we are totally priced out of the London housing market. I am so so bored with where I live, (south coast dull retiremnt place) I yearn for city life. Where can I find a city like London but with lower prices (350,000 ish for a family house) AND good schools - primary and secondary.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Mon 28-Jan-13 14:19:08

<didn't notice Rilla beat me to it>

Southeastdweller Mon 28-Jan-13 14:24:16

Renting here at the moment and priced out of buying, and even renting in a good area sad

I love Brighton (but the city centre gets horribly rammed) and Bristol, but they're not much cheaper than London, and well paid local jobs aren't plentiful.

Currently looking at other options, including Leeds and Manchester.

London has almost everything I want, need, and like but it's too expensive ere now.

JenaiMorris Mon 28-Jan-13 14:33:20

I have a friend who lives in a small town near Leeds and loves it - really quick to get into the city apparently.

LadyWellian Mon 28-Jan-13 14:51:27

If you love London and have £350k to spend, you can afford to live in London.

Places like this or this (the former is in great condition, the latter a bit wee but better location and schools). Or my personal favourite, this, where you'd have enough change from your £350k to convert the loft as well as addressing the rather individual decor. And have a 15-minute train ride into the City, if it's what you need.

I know it's not quite in the spirit of the thread, but it is my mission (hence the name) to raise the profile of SE London!

Secondary league tables here. Lots of popular local primaries - I've no direct experience of trying to get into them, as we moved for secondary.

StripeyBear Mon 28-Jan-13 14:59:04

I don't think anywhere is really comparable to London... unless maybe you go to another world-class city - Paris maybe?

I think there are other cities with a high quality of life, where it is easier to get the balance right. If you are serious about moving, could be worth have a wee tour to see where you like... B'ham, Manchester, Glasgow..... Would you seriously go anywhere though? Not many people would do that!

Rhubarbgarden Mon 28-Jan-13 17:00:43

Leeds is a fantastic city. Loads going on, fab shopping, strong sense of identity.

Brighton is great but you'll not find much for your budget.

fapl Mon 28-Jan-13 17:25:16

Only other city I have been to that I have thought I could possibly live here is Norwich (Disclaimer, I only spent the morning there). I also like Edinburgh but too cold so don't think I could ever live there. I kind of like Brighton but it feels like a bit of a big scrum with all the tourists out on a Saturday and traffic seems bad. All the bad points of big city congestion without actually being terribly big, but I have only been there for weekends. So basically you should ignore all my opinions as they are not based on much grin

lalalonglegs Mon 28-Jan-13 18:46:44

I was thinking Newcastle (but I have only visited it once very recently and fell in love with it so not an expert).

SafetyBubble Mon 28-Jan-13 19:49:26

Leeds (ish)

There was a thread about a month ago which said it all.

Only one disadvantage - we live nearby ; so that might spoil it for you wink

kissmyheathenass Mon 28-Jan-13 22:08:48

fapl, Norwich never springs to mind .... can you tell me more please.
Am looking at Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester - but Norwich, that intrigues me ....

Cant believe how many people suggested Brighton - obviosly nothing like here then (Bournemouth)!

kissmyheathenass Mon 28-Jan-13 22:10:35

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36795577.html

Shit, thats amazing - Leeds house £350000

TheSecondComing Mon 28-Jan-13 22:11:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dinkystinky Mon 28-Jan-13 22:11:55

Edinburgh

TheSecondComing Mon 28-Jan-13 22:12:49

Bristol
or Manchester

kissmyheathenass Mon 28-Jan-13 22:15:11

I hadnt noticed the bars, I was too excited!
Edinburgh and Manchester are lovely - beautiful cities, am looking at house prices now. We need room for 5 of us plus dog and 2 businesses which need home office space.

kissmyheathenass Mon 28-Jan-13 22:19:43

Crikey - so much choice om Rightmove. Manchester and Leeds both look quite affordable - can anyone tell me a good area for schools in either of those. Dont know where to start looking!

TheSecondComing Mon 28-Jan-13 22:23:52

PrincessOfChina Mon 28-Jan-13 22:25:05

Birmingham?

It's well connected, diverse suburbs, some great schools, good transport links (internal as well as external) and £350k will get you somewhere nice in South Birmingham.

I do love Manchester though...

FlouncingMintyy Mon 28-Jan-13 22:26:59

If I had to move out of London I'd probably go to Brighton because I'm from the south and I'd still want to see family/friends.

But if I were a bit more adventurous it would definitely be Sheffield.

kissmyheathenass Mon 28-Jan-13 22:30:14

Secondcoming, ds is not a grammar school type - has SEN - what about other schools? Are there any good ones for SEN?
Princess, I know nothing about Birmingham , do you know any areas in the south which have good schools as well as affordable housing?

kissmyheathenass Mon 28-Jan-13 22:30:46

Sheffield - why? Can you tell me more please?

TheSecondComing Mon 28-Jan-13 22:37:16

DelGirl Mon 28-Jan-13 22:45:50

hellooooo kmha smile, when I saw the title I had no idea it would be you but I was going to suggest Brighton too but I hear Norwich is vair naice! What's this about a dog????

I will check in again tomorrow cos my connection is soooooo slow xx

kissmyheathenass Mon 28-Jan-13 22:47:46

Do you know any specific school in Trafford?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now