What would you class as a small, average and large house?

(137 Posts)
Angelfootprints Wed 23-Jan-13 23:39:47

Interested on others perspectives.

Our house is 108 square meters in total and I feel its small. I grew up in houses four times the size, so maybe Im spoilt?

DH thinks our house is fine but he grew up in houses of the same size.

Sometimes I have felt a bit embarrassed when relatives or dd friends have said comments along the lines of "oh its nice- but really small".

Then others have around and said it seemed quite big.

I suppose I class our house as small, an average house about 130-160 and larger anything over 160 square meters.

What do you think?

Sophiamiller Tue 11-Mar-14 23:20:13

Hi,
I live in a 5 bed house,
My daughters friends come round and say wow its huge,
I just think it is the right size for my family 3 children and we fill the house
5 bed all double 2 en-suite
1 study downstairs
Dining room separate
Lounge
Integral double garage
Kitchen/diner/family
Utility
4bathrooms

So i say 1+2 small
3 average
4 depends really if is a small 4 with all double bedrooms
5+ large

mewkins Sun 31-Mar-13 20:13:29

I have no idea (but want to get the plans out and have a look!). Most people in the town that I know have three beds but ALL are different styles and layouts, some with conversions in the loft/ garage. Our's is open plan downstairs but not sure if that makes it seem bigger or smaller. However we have a big garden which was the selling point. On the other hand, I grew up in another three bed (in the box room) but the downstairs living area seems huge by comparison.

Three beds are average I would say, regardless of the rest.

LexyMa Sat 30-Mar-13 17:22:10

this thread is fascinating!

I have just used this online calculator to get the size of my house in sq m because I have a toddler sleeping on me and CBA to go and find the EPC from when we bought the house...

It is now 89.6 sq m but was more like 77 when we bought it (we did a rear ground floor extension) and probably 72 when built (previous owners did front extension). At 72, with two beds, one bath, kitchen, lounge, council built in the 50s near Watford it probably met a decent/good standard, if one applied then. Only got half way through wonkylegs' link but finding it really interesting.

We have made it into a 3 bedroom layout upstairs, and I suppose the smallest could fall foul of a current RIBA standard for a single bedroom (2m*1.7 plus the long bit of L-shape) but it fits a full length single bed, has built in wardrobe, and because we've used a mid sleeper, all the floor space is available to play in. We definitely are influenced by that British idea of maximizing the number of bedrooms - but more to suit our own need to be able to stay here longer and not keep having to "climb the property ladder", incurring transactional costs every time.

littlecrystal Sat 30-Mar-13 16:10:00

Wow I cannot believe the sizes of some of your houses! I am selling my (what I consider) large 2 bed terraced house (approx. 72sq.m. + 8sq.m. conservatory) and hoping to buy 3 bed town house (approx. 76sq.m). I feel both are sufficient for our 2+2 family, if not lush smile although ideally I'd have a garage, a shed and a conservatory on top!

You can probably tell then I grew up in 1 bed flat, 4 of us, occasionally having 2 grandparents to stay with us...

Skittish Sun 27-Jan-13 07:55:30

Everything in my house is ona big scale though - huge inglenooks that are three feet wide and 8 ft long, living room is 30 ft long , even ensuite is 15 ft - so it's not so much number of rooms ( although there are quite a few ) it's the scale of them. Have three staircases too.

Absolute horror to heat and maintain, though.

Devora Sun 27-Jan-13 00:44:30

What an interesting thread. I live in a five bed house with two bathrooms and a utility room, which makes it sound like a mansion. But actually it's 1300 sq ft, so barely even scrapes into the medium category according to some posts.

Still, I'm in London, and it feels massive compared to the 740 sq ft flat we were squeezed into before.

myron Sat 26-Jan-13 23:10:45

Our selection criteria when house hunting was firstly, location, then plot size was followed by square footage of living space. Our 70's 'project' was originally 4 bed/2 bath house of 2400 sq ft (excluding double garage). We've added a 2 storey extension and it is now a 5 bed/3 bath house of 3200 sq ft/297sqm. We are planning to stay here until the DC fly the nest though so the next move would be in 20 yrs' time when we would be downsizing! Have much the same opinion re UK house sizes as the PP.
Small < 800 sq ft
Medium 1200 - 2000 sq ft
Large > 3000 sq ft

EldonAve Sat 26-Jan-13 21:37:04

small 1000 sq ft
medium 1500- 2000 sq ft
large 3000 sq ft+

discrete Sat 26-Jan-13 21:23:43

What an interesting thread (and report).

Having been brought up in a country where houses are much larger, in a 500sqm home, I consider small to be anything under 120sqm, medium (and ideal for me) 250sqm and large 350sqm+.

Dh was brought up in a much smaller house (about 150sqm I guess) and much prefers smaller houses, and thinks a 250sqm is quite large.

We are currently in a 400sqm house which is way, way too big for both of us. Probably partly an overreaction to the 70sqm flat we lived in in London!

ogredownstairs Sat 26-Jan-13 19:07:49

I think it's huge too giraffe. Although when I unguardedly said so to a friend recently (we have a massive mortgage to match and I have been wondering whether we should downsize in the next couple of years given job market uncertainty etc) she laughed out loud and proceeded to explain in great detail that it wasn't at all. So it's all relative...!

CanIHaveAPetGiraffePlease Sat 26-Jan-13 18:56:27

Wow that's huge Ogre. Ours is a tiny 3 bed new build and probably would fit into your sitting room from the looks of it... I'd love more space!

ogredownstairs Sat 26-Jan-13 18:53:27

Really interesting link. I am always taken aback by the titchiness of some new builds - DH's parents have a 3 bed detached new build, the footprint of which including (completely pointless imo) garage and three bathrooms would probably fit into our (Victorian) sitting room. Having said that it seems to cost pence to heat and maintain. We are in a typical London terrace with 4 double beds, fully extended up into the loft and to the side return. About 185 sqm/2000 sq ft. It feels absolutely enormous to me as I grew up in tiny 2 bed with three siblings, and it looks as if it genuinely is quite big according to that report. But the garden is tiny, as they all are in my part of London.

PixieHot Fri 25-Jan-13 22:17:33

Thanks wonkylegs, what an interesting link. It's nice to have some figures to compare floorplan / EPC m2 values to.

We're in London in a terraced house and technically have 5 beds - but you'd have to re-hang the door to get a bed in the little room! We use it as a study. Other bedrooms are a good size. We have 2 bathrooms, sep loo, and a knock-through sitting room. Kitchen is a good size (side return done). It is about 2000 sq ft and we could (if we won the lottery) convert the loft (which would make it bedroom heavy). For my part of london, it is Big imo. I love it. Tiny garden and backs onto a railyway.

Adversecamber Fri 25-Jan-13 15:58:08

3 bed very average size house, I grew up in an enormous house that was converted in to five two bedroom flats. It was a dump though.

OneHundredSecondsofSolitude Fri 25-Jan-13 15:53:05

We partly based our house purchase on price per sqm. You can always change the layout but the space is set (unless you extend obvs)

sarahtigh Fri 25-Jan-13 11:16:55

small 2 bed flat, or terrace 2 bedrooms maybe boxroom,
1 reception room kitchen/diner and 1 bathroom,

average 3 double beds or 2 double and decent single 1 bathroom and downstairs toilet, kitchen diner big enough for table and 1 -2 reception may or may not have garage but will have garden unless a big flat

4 beds with 2 receptions and single garage probably still average

large 4+ bedrooms at least 2 reception rooms kitchen big enough to eat in too
garden with shed, (a garage unless in centre of city like a georgian townhouse) 2 proper bathrooms, utility room possibly study/playroom too feels spacious, useable attic or cellar plenty of storage

MarshaBrady Fri 25-Jan-13 11:05:42

It's more to do with sq ft than number of rooms.

Having a one huge, light, spacious room will feel better than lots of pokey dark small rooms.

Taffeta Fri 25-Jan-13 11:04:22

I remember the first Christmas we had the open plan kitchen. I couldn't believe how much people helped! Washing up everything I put down on the island etc.

It makes you keep it tidy though. I'm not an esp tidy person but it makes you so as its always on show.

drjohnsonscat Fri 25-Jan-13 10:49:55

I think for me it's the other way round. I have what is a fairly small three bed terrace (London). It's about 1200 sq ft. It could always be bigger but what I like about it is that it's on four floors so you feel that you can spread across the house without tripping over each other. I like the fact that it's not open plan (apart from the kitchen/diner which is the absolute best thing in my life) because although the rooms are not at all big, they are not all together in one big area.

Bumblequeen Fri 25-Jan-13 10:37:51

Space is so important. Too many things and a house closes in on you. We cope in our 2.5 bed eot as I am a neat freak and a minimalist. Everything is packed away.

Bumblequeen Fri 25-Jan-13 10:34:23

Tafetta I would class your house as big. A playroom and four double bedrooms- yes please!

I agree that knocking through two rooms can create more space. Our kitchen/diner was originally a tiny gallery kitchen and small dining room. The previous owner knocked it through. I imagine it was cramped in both rooms. The only thing I miss about having a separate kitchen is shutting out the mess behind you. With a kitchen/diner you have to clean as you go along.

Taffeta Fri 25-Jan-13 10:19:35

Its all relative surely? We have a big living room and kitchen, all open plan, but no dining room. Big table though, just not a separate room. The only 2 rooms downstairs that aren't open plan are the playroom and the loo. 4 double bedrooms upstairs. I'd say our house is average to big for the area. I'd say a 2 bed mid terrace in our village is small. And a 5 or 6 bed on the outskirts of the village is big.

We made our house seem much bigger by knocking through, extending a bit, reorganising and we have a massive hall which gives a feeling of space. The disadvantage of space is that you can lose the cosy.

Some houses have teeny upstairs with widgy bedrooms, others more evenly proportioned.

Wishfulmakeupping Fri 25-Jan-13 10:16:52

Ha oh yes! I'm sure my OH would like to hear more about it too!

jaynebxl Fri 25-Jan-13 10:12:58

Wishfulmakeupping I think we would all like to hear more about your loving room :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now